Crucifix Position

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Who here plays in the crucifix position in Jiu Jitsu. I have just recently started playing there. Since I am proficient off my opponent's back, I decided to see what else I could do from the position, so I started going to the crucifix position ala Baret Yoshida.

I'm still figuring out the mechanics and how keep someone there, but I am having success. Anyone else like the crucifix?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=641yvmGiP1w"]How to Do the Crucifix in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - YouTube[/ame]

^
    For reference.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Love the crucifix, Matt Kirtley has some good videos on the subject.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i like the entrance to the crucifix how it's shown in the video than the way i've been taught, which is first to hook the near arm, triangle that arm, then roll over the opposite shoulder. i like the sitting back better and i think it simplifies the entry.

i personally love it when someone gives me their back. i'll take that position all day. and i usually attack by getting grips and sitting back into back mount.

can't wait to try this approach for a crucifix. cheers.

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Ohoho, I know close to nothing about ground fighting, but this is the one, or rather first technique a friend of mine showed me :) It's really cool and I'm here just happy that you discuss something I've at least seen.

The friend showed me two entrances to this positions and both were different, one started from a similar position but involved rolling over the person below, the other was from a face to face position. The crucifix he showed me though didn't primarily involve choke, rather I ended up holding the opponent's arm under my arm, while my other arm was free to do... well, whatever :)
    Are there more versions of the crucifix like this? :)

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I was working it tonight in class and using it in rolling. It is quite effective. Even if the subs are a little tough to get, the control is grand.

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Not a position I work at all to be honest. I still mainly focus on fundamentals for one and as a bigger guy it's not really my game. I use the reverse triangle from sidemount a lot though where things are opposite (choke with legs, armbar with arms). That feels easier and more natural to me.