Cross Training

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cheesypeas, Nov 7, 2007.

1. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Well IMO TJQ should help the grappler not get hold of you. If he does, and your on your way to the floor, you're fighting on his terms.
    There is ground fighting present in TJQ but it is more keeping an incoming attacker off you, not grappling.

I would have to seriously question your experience then. If you're going to say this along with your other statement that "As for ground fighting thats obviously not present" then why not just go the whole hog and say that TJQ isn't any good for fighting?
    Ground fighting style? Okay. Kickboxing I really wouldn't recommend because as someone mentioned earlier, the strikes in TJQ are generated and delivered in a totally different way and you will be pulling in two different directions.

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Quan is king of all martial arts!

3. whoflungdat

whoflungdat Valued Member

Then I humble my self before you :D

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Tai Chi is good for fighting in the same way judo or shuai chao are.

You would be right about my experience, I'm not very deep into the vast ocean that is Tai Chi. But I am aware of that, I am also aware that my opinions are not likely to be the same ones I hold in 10 years time. But this is how I learn.

I have a upcoming Sanda competition, the only Tai Chi I am being trained to use is in throws and sweeps. My striking is Boxing/MT and Sanda based.

5. unfetteredmind

Alright, if you want you can define grappling as touching but if that was your meaning it is no wonder some of us were confused. If I punch someone I sure as hell touch them but who really would describe what I had just done as grappling. In Tui Shou I work with the lightest touch I can manage. It would be a real stretch to consider it grappling.

6. unfetteredmind

Hey Bailu and Carys, what's the deal? Have you guys had a tiff?

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Grappling is when you are controlling or manipulating the other persons body or limbs.

8. unfetteredmind

And it makes a tasty and nutritious alternative to meat. Mmmmm.

9. whoflungdat

I think you need to define fighting, Judo was created for sport, Tai Chi was created for self defense, one uses rules one doesn't.

10. whoflungdat

Ha, ha, ha, :D :D :D :D :D

11. unfetteredmind

Okay fair enough, I can live with that, although of course that is a different definition to saying it is touching.

12. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

It certainly doesn't make Judo any less efficient for self defence so I really don't see the differance. Time and time again we see that the competitive "sport" arts are the most successful because they are able to pressure test what they are taught. Besides Tai Chi is used competitively all the time.

13. whoflungdat

What??? I never said that please re read my post.
    And no what we Train you could never use in a competition.

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I was saying what is the differance?

And what about push hands and sanda comps? What do you learn that you cant use competitively? (aside from the obvious groin strikes and eye jabs, every art, even most Judo teach them)

15. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, that can never be a bad thing...

16. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Ha! Tremendous BBC2 joke! :D

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

What is a BBC2 joke???..(please don't say 'that was'!!) :D

18. whoflungdat

please don't get me started on silly push hands competitions.

The main difference is we use fight survival, in other words do what ever it takes to survive the fight we're not competing with anyone.

If you want to see the difference come and look at a class, this is not the place to discuss this.

19. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Thank you for the offer but reality based self defence isn't something i am interested in. I train for health, fitness, personal development, competition. Obviously self defence is a by-product of those but I don't want to resort to survival techniques, besides I live in a nice town.

20. whoflungdat

I also Train in Tai Chi for the same reasons excluding the competition bit as to living in a nice town how long for thats the problem.

Good luck with your training :)