cross training in tkd

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by IRONMAN, Jul 25, 2004.

1. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

any of you kick boxers cross train in tkd. any advantages or disadvantages to cross training the 2, or is it all the same thing. i do tkd and have a trial class in kickboxing tomorrow i jus wanna make sure im not wasting my time. also wut makes a kickboxing school a good school.

2. kevamania

kevamania Valued Member

Whats up Ironman.How long you at tkd?I dont do kickboxing,i do karate.
    I tried a kickboxing class once,itd take a while to get used to it,they are alike but with minor differences so when you are learning basics in KB you will automatically drift to tkd style.
    When I get a bit further on in karate Id love to cross train in tkd to get the kicks going.Also in boxing,boxers have a brilliant work rate and itd improve the hands a whole lot.

3. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

alot of kickboxers cross train with taekwon do becasue of the kicking speed of taekwon do combined with the punching and training of kickboxing is very effective, i do korean kickboxing which is a cross between taekwon do and kickboxing, i have to admit i have never done straight taekwon do or straight kickboxing but i fond korean kickboxing very useful in a street scenario.

4. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

No problem.
    mixing tkd and kickboxing has so far worked out quite well for me, especially the way the focus on different areas of sparring(punching/kicking).
    the only problem so far is that my hands drift up when sparring wtf, and drop down when kbing. but appart from that it's all good.

keep it up(or down, depending on the situation ;))!!
    -Qis

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

It may work but remember that TKD kicks are more of speed and less of power, so if you can manage and not get confused, go for it.

6. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

That all depends on what form of TKD you practice.

7. cjw314

cjw314 New Member

No doubt; I read that and was like :eek: :confused:

I suppose if training TKD for competition, you might go for speed... otherwise, what's the use in that?

8. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yeah I'd say cross training in kickboxing and TKD would be great. And while reading some other posts I came across the TKD kicks are more speed less power, and in a way I can see how that's true but when you start pulling out side kicks, hook kicks, and spinning kicks they get more powerful real fast.

9. Fjaslokt

Fjaslokt Valued Member

I train WTF and we use full power, but the KB school in my city trains only 30-50% contact..

10. jread

jread New Member

I have a blackbelt in TKD (old style) and am now in kickboxing.

I feel that it is good to have both styles because TKD is effective from a distance and kickboxing is effective in a close range. The kicking is much different (we use Muay Thai kicks which are COMPLETELY different from TKD kicks), but that's the only major adjustment. The boxing part of kickboxing will help your hands out a LOT since TKD doesn't focus much on punching.

I definitely think that training in both styles has made me a much more complete fighter.

11. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i DO! and believe me it is NOT a waste of time. although i trained in TKD first, then, cross trained in KB. the punching styles and slips of KB, combined with TKD's lightning fast kicks and parries make a great tandem.

at first i was skeptical of cross training too, seeing as how both styles are too dissimilar to my tastes- TKD tourney rules- no punching face, KB tourney rules- punch the damn face! also, TKD no tripping, KB- low round kick = god. whatever the other MA lacks, the other supplements it. they're also awesome when you mix/match them up in MMA spars. you can totally confuse your opponent by switching styles- especially if your opponent is a TKD only/KB only practitioner and you both never sparred before.

the only tricky part with this, is that usually KB kicks with the shin/ball, and TKD kicks with the ball/instep- even for same kicks- 45degree round kick KB kicks with shin (or that's what my coach tells me for more power) and TKD 45degree round kick TKD style hits with the instep (or that's what my other coach tells me)- for more speed.

12. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

do it for the freaking flexilbility

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh yea.??? grrrr... u need to wake from ur dreams...

Ok I m one of those Muai Thai-ers who switched to TKD because My MT teacher left my city and TKD teacher was the best in here...

let me give u my experience.. in only one line I can sum up :D
    Muai Thai is leathal weapon... with TKD it's becomes WMD :)
    yes that's it... kb also utilize low kicks so it makes it more difficult to fight against.. n moreover I'd bet KBoxers conditioning is far better than any other MAist...

-TkdWarrior-

14. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

also, in my TKD coach always reprimand me for not "snapping" my kick fast enough. actually i don't think snapping the kick adds any power to it. (don't know how to measure it :p) but at kb, i don't have to "snap" em really fast.

15. Sweet Canuck

Sweet Canuck New Member

Hey Ironman, great topic...I think when you see the replies to this post, it goes to show that people who are willing to see the benefits in other styles will ultimately get the most out of cross-training.

I'm currently studying a kickboxing style called Mugendo. All I really know is that it is supposed to be a cross of tkd and trad boxing. I've heard it referred to as "the unlimited way" which sounds a little corny for a system without grappling. The great thing about our class is that half of the students have a background in boxing, karate, kung fu, or judo (like moi). Our instructor is always open to whatever new students have to offer... the result; several members of our club are national champions and serious competitors.

My point is, that while good skills come from continued practice, occasionally introducing new elements keeps things fresh.