Critique my punchbag work

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hewho, Dec 16, 2020.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Did 3 rounds on the punchbag today.
    From my point of view my chin is too high, guard is a little loose, and kicks are telegraphed. Any more pointers would be appreciated.

aaradia, Travess, Grond and 1 other person like this.
  2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

How heavy is the bag?

What is your training background/methodology?

3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Light, couldn't give you an exact weight. There was someone on the heaviest bag, though I managed to drill some leg kicks on it after.

Mixed, did a few years at a kids/teens boxing club, couple of years of Shotokan at school, Sanda for a couple of years, but the last few years have been mainly traditional Jiu Jitsu, Wado Ryu, and various grappling stuff, with the occasional month kickboxing when it worked with work schedules, so my footwork is a horrific monster child of those things :D

4. Flying Crane

I guess then my next question would be what are your goals in your training? Are you interested in completion, kickboxing or something? That would invite a specific kind of feedback that would be different from someone from a more traditional background who isn’t interested in competition.

I personally am not interested in competition. I have some comments, but if my goals are different from yours, then my comments may be out of place.

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Haven't competed full contact since the Sanda nationals in 2018, hoping to compete in some light contact combat jiu jitsu next summer, if Covid allows it. Quite an odd ruleset, punches to the body, but you can roundhouse or reverse roundhouse to the head under control.

I'll be interested to hear your comments regardless :)

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Actually looked quite good.

The kicks are only telegraphed because you aren't setting them up but throwing them on their own. You drop your left hand slightly before throwing the jab. Same on some of the hooks the hands drops rather than the head going with it before you throw it.

Was going to say you were a bit static when throwing but then you started moving :)

hewho likes this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Looks fine to me.
    Bag work is bag work, will look different to pad work, which will look different to sparring.

I have a general dislike for right hooks and notice you drop your left low for it.
    I also dont like bob n weaves for these bags, as its too low and youre bending way forward because of the shape of the bag.

But yeah....kudos

hewho likes this.
  8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Good work

Try to get on a longer bag mix up leg kicks and higher kicks.
    No elbows ?

I think you flowed well

Smurf

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I have a general question....

What do people here, think about kicking a punchbag or a kickbag, with shoes on?

I've always assumed it's a bad move, because shoes are a) dirty, and B) damage the bag.

But I often (well not this year) see people doing it at public gyms.

Sorry it's a bit unrelated!

macker likes this.
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly not a fan,
    But if they are gym.only shoes it's not as bad

Current climate I'd prefer to hit something that's had a shoe on it rather than a barefoot though :):eek:

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Especially if Sarah Ferguson has been kicking the bag!

And I've just showed my age........

Mitch and Mushroom like this.
  12. Flying Crane

Ok, I’ll begin by saying that I personally am not a fan of sparring the bag. Meaning: I don’t care for the rather random punching and kicking that a lot of people do. Instead, I use the bag to focus on one technique at a time and just drill it and polish it. Then focus on specific combinations and really get them solid. This is a more systematic approach than dancing around and throwing a random assortment as if you are sparring the bag.

Second, go back and watch your video and really look at your feet, especially the rear foot. When you throw your punches, your rear foot is rising up onto your toes, often well beyond the ball of the foot. This indicates you are likely leaning into it, I am guessing you are trying to put your upper body mass into the punch, but this cuts off the power from your legs. I just see a lot of “foot chatter” when you throw your techniques, your feet are not grounded and you are not able to really push that back foot down into the ground, to get that leg power into the punch. This is why I focus more systematically on one technique at a time, so I can really work on getting full body power, starting with the feet and legs. That needs to be solid before you will be able to deliver that kind of power in a more random setting such as sparring. So use the bag as a tool to develop that power. When you want to spar, use a human partner. When you want to really hit something, use a heavy bag and polish your technique and your power,

With your kicks, I am seeing a lot of the same foot chatter, a lack of rooting. Your foot is rising and rolling and just not solidly connected to the ground.

In my book, it’s all about the foundation and getting full body connection for maximum power. That starts with the feet and legs.

hewho likes this.
  13. Flying Crane

I always wear shoes, but it’s my bag at my home, so I don’t need to be concerned about others.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

That's why there's only roundhouse kicks, I need to have a chat with the owners about their rules around bare feet, but it's a brand new gym so I don't know them yet. I'm generally opposed to hitting bags with the sole of the shoe.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Thanks everyone, useful feedback there. I'm aiming for two or three sessions a week on it, so I'll work on that, then post again in a few weeks. :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

It's not ideal, but keeping it hands only is an option too, when I had access to a boxing gym, that's what I did, because it really annoyed the owners if anyone did anything but boxing on the punch bags, they spent a lot of money on them, and didn't want them damaged by someone's kicks, shoes or otherwise, which is fair enough.

But that was a boxing gym, not a fitness gym.

hewho likes this.
  17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I strike with the shin. No shoes to the bag. Just in case of rips etc.

At most, the insole connects.

hewho likes this.
  18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Your footwork is great as far as the boxing part, I'm not much of a kicker so I can't really give good feedback.

What I noticed is you're in a public gym and it looks like you're standing on a mat. Do they really do that, not let you move 360 around the bag? That would drive me a little crazy. Is that a COVID restriction to keep you distant, or has that always been there?

Heavy bagwork confined to one spot is like speedbag work to me. Fun at first but gets a little repetitive. But I've also trained at gyms like yours and the bag is usually not in a great spot. They should put these things off by themselves and give you your full range of motion around the bag. This just looks like they put the bag right out front of the machines, because everyone loves to watch the one guy doing bagwork they put it right in the middle of everything.

I'm also curious why you put this in Jiu Jitsu? This is more like kickboxing isn't it?

19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That's a light bag (75lb?) just based on how it moves. It's a kind of upside down teardrop bag, and I think this one is designed to top heavy for weight but bottom light for ease of impact. This isn't a boxing gym, it's a public one so they don't want a lot of amateurs smashing the bag and breaking their hands, :D

This one looks about the same.

PROLAST Boxing Angle Heavy Punching Bag (Black/Yellow)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  20. Flying Crane

That was my suspicion, I was trying to gauge the power.