Critical Factors In Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Scaramouch, May 5, 2004.

1. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

The recognised factors for competition are:

Grade (I would incude technical ability/tactics/attitude)
    Weight

In addition to these I would also add:

Height
    Strength

Anyone think of any others that they would rate as highly?

I am not sure if anyone else experiences the same thing but I am an inexperienced judoka (few months) but an experienced MAist. I have weight, height and strength on my side but with my relative inexperience in Judo I am surprised that senior grades (even though most of them are smaller and lighter than me - but not by much) have such a problem throwing me during randori. I am much more relaxed in randori than I used to be but that seems to make it even more difficult for them.

A question for the Judo BBs - At what point in the judo grading system would you rate someone as being technically "able" to dominate someone regardless of weight, height, strength (within reason)? High kyu or dan grade?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Weight and balance.

3. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Yes, balance! An obvious omission.

I guess being used to various stances and from kicking I can maintain my balance well making me difficult to throw.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Having trained Shotokan and Muay Thai also, I'd say there is a difference in the 'types' of balance. Judo balance is more footwork and weight dropping.

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

in my opinion, the most critical factor is technique. its better than using strength or using your height and weight advantages. you guys know kyuzo mifune? the "little giant" of judo?

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  6. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

i think critical considerations are confidence, ambition and determination.

Without the above, all the strength, balence, size and skill are worthless. :cool:

7. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

A couple of points -

I think technique is very important and I am striving every class to improve but in Judo I don't think it necessarily means you will be able to win or dominate your opponent. Otherwise why would we have weight classes in competition? Occasionally a middle or light heavy weight might win the open category but not that often - I'm talking about majors not local tourneys here.

I think the confidence/ambition/determination should fall under the level of grade as IMO the higher the grade level one would expect the more of these qualities you possess, or isn't this what you mean?

It is interesting that Judo is one of the few MAs where you have to officially compete to attain higher grades. In JudoScotland the scheme is 6th - 4th kyu graded on technique alone, 3rd Kyu and above always an element of a required no. of points from ranking competitions (3 star events). Therefore you have to be pretty dedicated to progress beyond 4th kyu.