Creonte

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by mattt, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Chatting today after class a long term training pal and I started talking about another club (MG) that is just up the street from us. A few good people have recently gone over there.

Conversation was led by him, and I could see he wanted to check them out but felt disloyal, so after class I just rocked up to see what they were about. Turns out they were closing but I chatted with one of their guys on the way out and he seemed cool and welcomed me to swing by and check out a class.

I think I am going to do so, just worried if what I see is better than what I have now and I have to be a creonte... thoughts Mappers? Would you check it out or just strike up conversations in the locker room about how you would like to check it out but were torn.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

If someone else can help you be a better (insert training goals here), why stay with 2nd best? This is assuming you have no obligations other than feeling guilty to stay where you are now.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

To be fair you have two world class teachers to choose between, either would be more then good enough for you, the rate limiting factor to your development wont be their instruction.

Creonete depends on whether you feel you owe anything to your current teachers/gym beyond the monatery aspect.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think there are 3 factors:

Teacher (arguably even)
    Students (uncertain)
    Myself

So the deciding factor might be the environment and quality of students there, I have always thought ours very high, but don't know how much better they might be.

I do appreciate the training but I don't owe them anything.

Plus I heard rumors that MG rolls with you in class, which would be epic.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If your entire household disappears overnight, with the only clue being the word "creonete" carved into a nearby tree, we'll know it was the wrong move.

Are your teachers the sort who would take exception to this?

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

+1 for Roanoke!

7. Hannibal

If this is true I would give my right nut to train there!

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

mattt! dude, your choices are renzo or marcelo!?!? i hate you.

9. Dead_pool

Ive heard he does, but not with random holiday drop ins, And I heard this from two different randim holiday drop in'ers.

10. Hannibal

This is the epitome of "First World Problems" isn't it?

11. Dead_pool

Renzo's has large numbers of blackbelts, marcelo's is smaller, has less blackbelts, but is still busy with a extremely high standard on the mat.

I Think they'll be more strict on rulesets then your current class too.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I've rolled with a number of Gracies, but it isn't a daily occurence since only the visitors join my class, so it is few and far between. Having access daily would be very good.

That depends on class size and skill level etc too. I'm going to check it out next week to see what I think of the quality.

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yeah, I already checked about the standup, and that isn't frequent in the class I would attend due to 'noise issues' I really enjoy starting from the feet so that alone could be a deal breaker.

As could the rest of the rules... it would be different. But at the same time the limits would force me to improve other areas.

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Other than a racooning? No problem :cyborg:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Renzo doesn't teach though, other than the odd cameo. Not that his students aren't excellent, but there is a difference there.

However as Fusen pointed out someone like me wouldn't notice the difference from that perspective, which I agree with - it is more what the core of the class is.

My only gripe about the school is I wonder if we are falling into habit type training (I mean the students who go every day) and if we are pushing ourselves hard enough in class. People feed off their peers in training and if it could be higher standard elsewhere it might help.

I've already added on more aggressive classes to my program to help with this, so perhaps more of that is the answer.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i worry about this also. me and a bunch of the other "old timers" at the school--over 40 crowd--train every t, th, and fr (not a normal class, we all show up at 6am. the yunguns don't want to get up so early. :) ). i worry that we're getting stale, so i'll go to a mon, tue or wed night class to train with the young guys.

i also wish i could roll more with the school owner.