Credable Ninjitsu training in Missouri

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ShadowCat13, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ShadowCat13

ShadowCat13 notaninja

Credable Ninjutsu training in Missouri

As this is begining to become a side track in another forum i've made this thread.
    What i'm looking for is someone credable the organization doesn't matter.
    As long as they haven't learned everything they know from some book.
    I don't care if all the meetings are held in a garage or a dump. As long as the sensei knows what he's doing and the training/area is safe.

btw Whiteshadow you have my respect for how you train. I didn't know senseis like you existed anymore.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. ninjapiratecapn

ninjapiratecapn Est. 1986

First off, it's ninjUtsu. With a "u". Only frauds spell it with the "I".

There are four on this page: http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Make sure it's part of either the Bujinkan, Genbukan, or Jinenkan. Those are the three credible ninjutsu organizations. The training associated with traditional ninjutsu has been criticized by some members of the martial arts community at large, so I don't promise that it'll be good, but a dojo associated with one of those three should be legit.
    Anything not affiliated with one of those three should be avoided. Things associated with Ashida Kim or with names like "Kage Ryu Real Authentic We Swear Ninjitsu" should be avoided like the plague.

4. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

5. ShadowCat13

ShadowCat13 notaninja

thank you very mutch I tried to fix the ninjutsu typo
    anyway marshfield is close enuff but sadly i work nights weekdays and just received a bid so i cant get transfered to another shift. so their skedual (tues.and thurs. 7-8) won't work. On an odd twist they are talking about a layoff at my factory so i might have the time.

6. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

Shadowcat,

Give the teacher a call, and tell him you are interested, tell him your situation, maybe he will work around your schedule, you will never know unless you ask. What do you have to lose..

7. ShadowCat13

ShadowCat13 notaninja

you have a good point i'll call him midday tomarrow.
    thank you again

8. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

If you want something that is closer to Japanese Ninpo/Ninjutsu, check out Ken Harding...
    http://www.mbdojo.com/mainframe.htm
    He's been a Bujinkan Shihan since the '90s and while he has split from the Bujinkan for his own reasons, he is an excellent martial artist & I doubt you could do better. Look him up if he's close. He has decades of experience in the Takamatsuden arts.

Good Luck :)

9. ShadowCat13

ShadowCat13 notaninja

Thanks doc that's just what i neaded. I really hope he's not far. I will keep the other in mind. But i nead as many options as possible.

10. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

:confused:

11. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Was there a problem? :rolleyes:

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I think it's because you referred to him as Shihan when looking at his site he got his 9th Dan, in 1999, and it doesn't mention him getting his Judan. I might be wrong and that may not be the reason for Stephen's :confused:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  13. bencole

bencole Valued Member

You are a "Shihan" when the other Shihan refer to you as "Shihan." :p It does not occur merely you have achieved any given rank.

As to Ken Harding, he is an incredibly nice guy and a very talented martial artist, imo. I was sad to see him go, but if he is happy elsewhere, one cannot shake a stick at that.

I don't know anyone else in Missouri. But if you wanted to train in the Bujinkan specifically, and were to ask Ken, I am sure that he would point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

-ben

14. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Hmmm... I heard him referred to as a Shihan from at least three people. But now with the expanded Dan ranks, it appears that there have been revisions to when someone is called Shihan. I guess that Shihan in the Bujinkan is only reserved for Judan & above.

My mistake. :eek:

15. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Still...

Still, I doubt that you could find better, even if he's not affiliated with the Bujinkan. He's got the skills.

16. ShadowCat13

ShadowCat13 notaninja

well I e-mailed him and just recieved class information. I won't give any details but apparently the classes are held in stlois. I'm in a bit of a delema.
    From what i've seen at his site it's exactly what i'm looking for but i've still got the problem of shelling out that mutch gas money. I think if i skimp and save for a little while i could pull of at least one class and then see where i can go from there. It wasn't what i was hoping for, i was hoping forsomething closer but it loog too good to just pass up altogether.

17. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Um... Did you *NOT* read my post that you quoted?

To repeat: You are a "Shihan" when the other Shihan refer to you as "Shihan." It does not occur merely you have achieved any given rank.

That naturally includes tenth dan....

Um... Hatsumi-sensei spoke about this "expanded Dan ranks" thing back in 1984.... Nothing "new" here.

Again, there is no "revision" as to when someone is called Shihan, unless you consider the inappropriate use of the Japanese term by Americans as a "revision." ;)

You are saying that three other Shihan referred to Ken Harding as a Shihan?

Or are you saying that three Americans who do not understand the term used the term to describe Ken Harding?

I proffer the latter (see above).

Given my years in Japan, Ken would not be considered a "Shihan", but simply an adept martial artist. He's a very good chap and very knowledgeable. But he's no "Shihan" in the Japanese sense, imo....

-ben

18. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I imagine, now that he has 'split', that his chances of being a shihan in the Bujinkan, are now next to zero. How do you remain a shihan of the bujinkan without being in the bujinkan?

19. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

You make yourself Shihan ;)

20. Motz

Motz Valued Member

You could ask Ralph, he seems to know :D