creationist creeping on kids' video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Giovanni, Jan 3, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, disgusting stuff like sending your gay kid to a church camp to be "cured".

Your average Anglican I can get along with just fine, because they barely believe in god as it is :)

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yeah, that's more then just disgusting.
    The sort of creepy thing is, here you have actually people that only know that this... "method" even exists is due to the telly and such, because TV shows (like Law&Order SVU or something) at times handle that subject as well.
    Therefore it feels really, really far away.
    Like planets away, not only continents.

I get along with everyone just fine, no matter the religion or believes, as long as they aren't extremists of some sort ^^

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Very grateful to be living in an area of the world that is predominately atheist, although I've always found it odd how much they love religious traditions in the Nordics. This documentary (below) mentions the same thing.

According to the documentary when asked if religion is important to them 16.5% of Swedes said yes compared to 65% of people in the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kANR1vJkM

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heretic.

[​IMG]

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

*Like* :)

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

To the extent that AiG does that I would agree with you that it's bad. But it's not a group that I care much about, and it's just that in my admittedly-limited contact with their material, it seemed to me that they're more into muddying waters rather than making outright false claims.

I've heard of it, of course, but haven't been there. Have you?

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my wife was away one weekend before we had kids. it was right when the museum opened. i was going to drive down there since i had free time, and also visit what i've heard is a fantastic actually science-y dinosaur museum near there. but then i started drinking and my friends talked me out of going.

weekend was still fun. no wife around. lol

really, i was only going to troll the place.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Those lies are in service of a broader agenda. Promoting the idea that the Earth is 6000 years old, the Bible is a literal document from God, and that life was created in distinct kinds - evolution did not occur. The evidence against these claims is incontrovertible. Regardless of your religious beliefs, these are the facts and to say otherwise is to lie. AiG's entire purpose is to promote a view of the Earth that is contrary to literally all we know about science, literally to lie to children. The problem isn't that they play fast and loose with individual facts, it is that their entire reason for being is to lie.

The equivalent is if Ancient Aliens had a following of people who really, really believed that the show was completely factual and should be taught in history classes as factual, if it took on a dedicated and consistent campaign to discredit archaeology, history, and any of the sciences that dared disagree with them. The equivalent is telling schoolchildren that Ancient Aliens is an equally valid account of history as that we've assembled as a society.

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/what-will-you-do-with-dinosaurs/

"According to the Bible, God created every kind of living creature over a period of six days around 6,000 years ago. Since this is true, being recorded in the inerrant Word of God, then humans and dinosaurs must have lived at the same time. Although this idea is often mocked by evolutionists who require long ages to make their beliefs seem valid, evidence that humans and dinosaurs coexisted is readily available when we look."

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosa...s-live/what-really-happened-to-the-dinosaurs/

"According to the Bible: Dinosaurs first existed around 6,000 years ago.3 God made the dinosaurs, along with the other land animals, on Day 6 of the Creation Week (Genesis 1:20–25, 31). Adam and Eve were also made on Day 6—so dinosaurs lived at the same time as people, not separated by eons of time."

The lies about bacterial flagellum are as egregious, it's just that most people know even less about flagella than they do dinosaurs. Intelligent Design is the Paley argument restated. At the end of the day, AiG is as interested in lying about molecular machinery as it is about evidence that can clearly be interpreted, like the appearance of feathers in the fossil record. Simply put AiG is dedicated to misinformation, to lying about who we are as a species, where we came from, what the very core of life itself is about. To discredit the best method of learning about our world that we as a species have come up with.

Are they on par with the Nazis? No. But it's an organization that embodies some traits of humanity that I feel are detestable.

Nope, I'm opposed to supporting them. I feel yet some romanticism about humanity and about our destiny as a species such that those things that advance knowledge can be called good and those actions or organizations aiming at its concealment can be called bad.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Question. If they don't really believe their Gods are out there and looking down, our up or what ever, why are they bothering with religion at all? One can be atheist and have a moral path.. I would like to think that if one is in a religion, and is actually faithful to it, that one actually believes in the tenant's of it.. Namely that their gods exist. So, that makes no sense,. Why not just be moral atheists if they don't really believe.

Not sure why atheists always say In the clouds.. Not sure why that is a thing.. I thought it was implicit they inhabited either a separate plane of existence or a different dimension all together..

Also, card carrying member of the Old earth and evolution is ID. That God created the world through evolution, a hell of a long time ago. 5billion years give or take..

Of course my beliefs are different from you average Christian as I believe the bible to be mostly wildly flawed as it was written by humans, in a massive game of phone.. Whole books edited out, never to see the light of day.. Message passed so many times, it no longer bears any resemblance to the truth.

10. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Who cares? If Catholics are on board with Evolution and Old earth, shouldn't you and the other atheists consider that a win? Why complain about that? For that even to happen in the Catholic church means there HAD to be a heck of a lot of them that believed in Old earth and evolution. Other wise it never, ever, would have happened.. I mean come on, this is the Catholics, and we all know how fanatical they can get about things. Just ask the people who suffered under them during the inquisition..

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Interestingly, Abrahimic religions are not the only ones to believe in a flood myth.. http://time.com/44631/noah-christians-flood-aronofsky/

The Sumarians had one, in their Gilgamesh story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths#Africa Lists a bunch of them.

I am actually trying to find more links to this, as I only learned of this while watching History Channel. It was a program on myths and such..

12. philosoraptor

I think you're conflating intelligent design with a kind of deist 'this is the method by which god works'. Intelligent design is a scientific hypothesis that says there are molecular machines that are irreducibly complex such that they cannot have evolved; religious fundamentalists latched onto it because they saw it as another way to sneak creationism into schools. In fact one of the major findings during the Dover trial was that the textbook the school board wanted to use was a rewriting of a creationist textbook - they had simply done a find and replace for all the instances of creation, creationism, and creator with intelligent design and designer.

Scientifically it would be REALLY cool if we found some evidence of cellular tinkering way back in our species' prehistory. Would make me think of that movie Prometheus more than it would a supernatural deity, but thus far we haven't found it, so yeah...

Yeah, it's not surprising to me that many cultures would wind up with flood myths. I'm sure there were many devastating floods during human history, many stories that all got woven together, maybe a few hero figures that were combined into one, bing, bang, boom, you've got a flood story. The point is that a worldwide flood with only two members of each land vertebrate species on an ark would leave considerable amounts of evidence that it occurred; we don't see that, therefore, no worldwide flood.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  13. aikiMac

With those quotes now in evidence I will agree with you. :)

14. philosoraptor

Glad we can agree! I'm not uncomfortable with Christians advertising their religion. Similarly, I would not be comfortable arguing my religious stances to a group of high school students in a science class - I mean, that's not my job. I think that at the very least we can agree to act in good faith. I don't think it's possible to really be exposed to the sciences and maintain any belief in a 6000 year, literally true Bible. And that's OK! Doesn't mean that it's completely invalid, doesn't mean that atheism wins, just means that there were some facts about the universe that the writers of the Bible were unaware of.

On another note, I'd also say that if you reach age 25 without reading a substantial portion of the Bible, you're uneducated, and society's goal should be to produce educated people. Which is a weird way of saying that I think the Bible should be taught to people. :O

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why though? I'd argue Lord of the Rings is much better.

16. Giovanni

way better.

i would rather my kids read an iliad and/or odyssey translation frankly.

17. philosoraptor

I don't think anything creates atheists quite like a studied approach to religion, and without at least cursory knowledge of Christianity I think you're uninformed on one of the dominant modes of thought that's occupied human history. Iliad and Odyssey I'd definitely put up there too, Plato, Marx, etc. But whether we like it or not, Christianity is part of our species' story.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do Buddhists have a god?
    Do taoists?

The problem you are having in understanding is that the lens you are viewing through is a Christian one....other belief systems don't always work that way, and many are a case of personal gnosis

Take Heathenism for example - do you understand the ONE thing that makes it different from ANY other Theistic religion?

Go on, see if you get it without googling :)

19. Giovanni

where's the thanks button for this one.

i never believed frankly, even though my parents tried to indoctrinate me. but reading the bible every week in church confirmed my non-belief.

20. aikiMac

I completely agree, and not because it's my preferred religion, but because (1) our history is that of Western Europe and then the colonization of North America, and the vastness of biblical references in the literature of both Western Europe and North America is -- insane! You can't understand literature without some measure of biblical fluency. And (2) like it or not, the history of Western Europe is the history of the Roman Catholic Church.