creationist creeping on kids' video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Giovanni, Jan 3, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm not presuming Apple has anything to do with it, but I do presume that they have the power to kick advertisers off iOS apps.

Aiming ads at adults is one thing (still strikes me as weird though... you would've thought an omnipotent being could handle their own publicity), but aiming religious ads at children is pretty evil.

Would you be cool with fundamentalist Muslim groups or white nationalists paying for ads in kids' games? How about petrochemical lobbyists making ads to brainwash kids into climate change denial?

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ah i see. you don't know that cosmos was in fact on tv both during the 70's and last year. you really must not watch any television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVo6cgCEMDk

that's just one episode. you can find them all on youtube.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's your job man. This won't be the first or last time they'll be exposed to nonsense.
    Guide them. Teach them critical thinking skills. Teach them everyone has an agenda and biases, even you and them. Show them the evidence for and against. Show them just how many religions there are that all claim to be true with pretty much the same level of evidence (or lack of evidence).

My kids go (or will go) to a Church of England school and get taught or exposed to all sorts of stuff I don't agree with or is flat out wrong. Not just religious stuff either. My daughter was taught that you can see the great wall of China from the moon. So then we have to counter that with proper thinking.
    Even in my family I have relatives that spout all sorts of superstitious nonsense. Don't stir with a knife, don't open an umbrella indoors, do this and that for good or bad luck.
    It all needs looking at and countering.

Quite honestly learning that other people are full of it, and often out to hoodwink them, is a major life lesson that you can't or don't want to avoid. Get that lesson in early.

4. Giovanni

yes smitfire. like i said, i muffed the response, because it was very upsetting and unsettling to see that. i need to do better, but i have to start with him (the boy) learning critical thinking skills.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, that is the moment, where the parents come into play, isn't it?

YOu noticed what add there was, so you could try and talk to your kid.
    If parents just give their little kids a tablet in the hand and don't care what is goind on on it, it's not the add-people fault but that of the parent.

No matter what sort of add.
    If you don't like religions/ a certain religion, I expect that parents to work through that with their kids.

We have at times commercials with s**-toys on the TV, during the day.
    I hate it, because kids shouldn't see that, no matter how it's done.
    But in case they would, it would be work as a parent, to explain to them, what that was about (if they'd get it might be about this subject); and if it's only that I say "toy for grown-ups".

EDIT: Once I answer without reading to the and, because I thought it weird, that no one would say something to it, and now I see, that the post right after I stopped reading actually addresses that as well :-|

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Sex toys are embarrassing to adults, but again, not a deliberate and malicious attempt to mislead children. Answers in Genesis bears responsibility for that.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Maybe Apple does, but with there being soooo many coders making aps, I do not presume that Apple even tries to keeps track of the ads.

As to the first -- I've wondered that myself.
    As to the second -- perhaps it's no more evil than aiming ads for chocolate covered balls of sugar marked with rainbow-colored food dyes at children. :dunno:

Honestly, all of the ads or would-be ads mentioned herein are the same to me. It's an us/them dichotomy, and "them" outsmarted "us" by making a really good ad that "us" never thought of making. And now we're angry at "them" for doing what we didn't think of doing. :dunno:

But mostly I don't view things from an us/them division in the first place.

8. philosoraptor

You're trying to flatten the debate out into two arbitrary positions; they aren't unless you think that truth and falsehood are the same thing. If you're OK with people lying to children then you've got a very strange morality.

9. David Harrison

Yeah, I don't agree with any advertising aimed at children actually. However, in the UK there are laws against saying that junk food is healthy. You can't lie about a product or service... unless it's a religion.

I would happily contribute to a crowd-funded Satanist kids advert on iOS apps. I think they've been great at pointing out the hypocrisy of freedom of religion in America.

You've lost me there...

You don't believe in "us and them", but you see preying on the minds of children as a battle between you and everyone else?

How about we just stop trying to drag kids into it?

Also: what Philo said.

10. aikiMac

I go back and forth on that. On the one hand, if you made a toy, say, then of course you want to advertise it to children. On the other hand, cartoons (as an example) can turn into 30-minute commercials promoting consumerism, and that's just way too much.

No, you all in this thread see the iPad game advertisement as the bad-guy religious liars ("them") preying on the minds of innocent children ("us"). I se the game advertisement as an, "Oh, man, [insert facepalm], why didn't I think of doing that?"

He only raised the age-old question of religion: mine versus the other x-thousand of religions that disagree with mine. Except that he did it in a threatening, argumentative way that shuts down dialogue immediately.

11. philosoraptor

Nope, claiming that there is irreducible complexity in the flagella is factually false. Doing so in order to persuade children to join your religion is lying to them. Would I consider this as bad as advertising cigarettes to children? No. Is it still repugnant? Yup. Science and scientific knowledge is not a religious position. I've known Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, atheistic and Christian scientists. That universality is one of science's strengths. The science for evolution and the lack of evidence for intelligent design are both apparent; we should not tell our children otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  12. Giovanni

so i don't nor will indoctrinate my children with abrahamic religion doctrine. how else should i see an ad for an abrahamic religion, other than a lie?

13. aikiMac

Perhaps like a beer commercial? Or do beer commercials rile you up the same way? See, the message of a beer commercial is that if you drink it (Bud, Coors, whatever) then you'll be attractive to model-perfect hotties, and they'll be hanging all over you half naked, and they'll smell good, and you'll smell good, and you'll have a very happy skinny life.

I've been inside a lot of bars. They don't smell good. I love to drink beer, but let's be honest -- it's not the same as roses and lavender. My wife being the exception, the ladies in bars do not look like the models in the ads. And I've never known beer to make people thin and shapely like the people in the ads. Pretty much the only beer ad that might maybe possibly be totally honest is the one about the dog and the horses that aired a couple of Superbowls ago. The rest of the beer ads are straight up lies.

Actually all advertisement is at least partly untrue. "Puffery" is the legal word. Legally speaking, it's okay to exaggerate the truth of your claims in advertisements so long as you don't stretch the truth too far. (And then the lawyers debate in court how far is too far.) But now I've strayed onto a tangent.

Back to your point, I'm really not threatened by the old Mormon tv ads even though I think the Mormon religion is completely untrue. I would feel the same way if Hannibal's variety of paganism (which I think is ridiculous), or Aaradia's variety of paganism (which I think is ridiculous), made the same quality tv commercials. Other people advertising their silly beliefs really doesn't bother me.

They laugh at me for being an idiot, and I laugh at them for being an idiot, and then we laugh together at the other fools over there, and then we go to the dojo and beat each other up. And maybe we share a pitcher of imperial stout afterwards, I don't know.

14. aikiMac

Ya, it's maybe worth mentioning that not all Christians are of the 6000-year-old-Earth-with-zero-evolution type. Officially from the Vatican, the Catholic flavor can handle a 5-billion-year-old Earth with some manner of evolution. I remember reading this from the Pope a fews years ago. (I think it was when Benedict was Pope.) It really makes no difference to the Vatican how old the Earth is or how exactly we got here. Eastern Orthodoxy is just as flexible.

15. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

What makes you think it is malicious or a "deliberate attempt to mislead"?

16. David Harrison

You're forgetting the important part: we're talking about children.

Also, I think you may be misunderstanding the difference in quality of belief between Hannibal, Aaradia, and the god squad. I'm pretty sure they are aware of the age and nature of their beliefs, and are under no allusions that Odin or Hera or whoever are literally in the clouds looking down on them.

17. philosoraptor

That's why I don't really have a problem with the Islamic one. AiG wants to put out a video talking about the divinity of Christ or the ethical example that he sets, I'd say that's fair play. This is just gross. Intelligent design is simply aimed at muddying the waters, repeating disproven claims, all in an effort to discredit science and scientists.

Long observation of Answers in Genesis, this is the group headed by Ken Ham.

18. David Harrison

At some point somebody with half a clue about biology decided to misrepresent the facts to prop up an unfounded belief.

Most will simply be ignorant, but there has to be maliciousness in the chain somewhere.

19. David Harrison

I love how the infallible spokesperson of God can reverse the standpoints of previous infallible spokespersons of God! :D

20. philosoraptor