Creatine myth?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Every once in a while I hear something that is so preposterous it just might be true. And I get worried. So I google it. And when googling doesn't work, I post here.

Someone told me at the gym that I should be sure to dissolve my creatine (monhydrate) completely. If i didn't, this person said, it would get stuck in my liver and kidneys and either (a) not be processed, or (b) destroy/damage those organs.

That, to me, sounds like a load. However, it's stuck in my head, so now I'm worried. Can someone please dispel this myth?

2. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i cannot say either way, as i have never heard this, but it sounds like a load of crap to me. i do know that there is inconclusive scientific evidence of megadosing creatine for long periods of time can be damaging to the liver, as thats where creatine phosphate is synthesized(or at least i think thats why it damages the liver). but again i say that all the evidence is inconclusive. i mean, if creatine was damaging, then i'd say we'd see the effects of it from people who eat alot of meat.

3. Cuchulain82

I don't think that's necessarily true. Creatine in meat is, well, in the meat. It's not a synthesized, extracted quantity, and there could be something else in the meat that allows the body to safely process it. Nature's funny like that.

4. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I can't say for sure, but I was told by a friend if you're taking a bunch of creatine you should up your intake of potassium and drink a minimum of 120 ounces of water a day to help flush the kidneys. Like I said, I'm not certain about the potassium, but the instructions on my can of NOXplode suggest the 120 ounces of water...

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

you should drink a minimum of 3 litres a day when weight training, if your taking in supplements and a high protein diet it will help to dilute any 'waste' produced by the kidneys so its flushed out regularly and with no issue.

a hydrated body is a happy body

6. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

how much creatine is in NOxplode?

and i think thats like 15 cups of water. i drink about 4 liters a day, so thats about what i take in. i don't know the level at which water becomes toxic, but i've heard of people taking in up to 2 gallons while cycling different anabolics, but thats off topic.

and i don't know about the potassium. maybe to reduce cramps, as i have heard of people cramping from creatine.

also, i think creatine helps flush the liver and keep it clean, you can expect to find small amounts in liver detoxifiers like strip and q carbo.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. Cuchulain82

So, beyond generally being hydrated... nobody's heard anthing? Nothing specific to partially dissolved creatine vs. completely dissolved creatine.

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Never heard it myself, I must admit. It does have the ring of an urban myth about it though. However, my instincts tell me it'd likely be dissolved whilst swimming about in the stomach anyway. :confused:

You've got me a little curious too now.

9. Cuchulain82

@Cosmic

I'm really curious about this as well. I googled it and didn't get anything, which to me is the indicative of the fact that it's a lie. However, it seems just so... plausible! You know, like the poprocks and coke thing. I dunno. I guess that if no one here has heard of it, it probably is untrue.

10. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

This is what I've got from looking intoand using creatine for a while:

Creatine not dissolved in liquid before drinking is fine. I mix my monohydrate with 1/2 cup iced tea, chug it, and follow that with 2 glasses of water. It dissolves in the stomach.

If you don't take enough water with creatine, it will not be able to dissolve. The body then says "hey we need more water in here to dissolve this stuff so we can use it!" so it flushes the intestine with water, and you have diahrrea/cramps/bloating.

Also, reccommending a lot of water I think is because creatine draws water into the muscles. It can add 5lbs of water weight. So the body is now using more water for its everyday activites.

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's complete rubbish :)

12. Cuchulain82

@joe, McG

Thanks. I actually feel a lot better now. For some reason, hearing it from enough people has removed the fear.

13. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Have you ever tried completely dissolving creatine? It builds muscle mass due to the 3 hours of constant stirring required :cool:

14. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Ummm, mine dissolves really easily. Get micronised creatine and it dissolves really easily, even better in warmer water.

Everyone should drink more water but especially if you take creatine. I can easily drink a gallon a day of just water, I don't see why more people don't!

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I don't think you would suffer any mal effects as long as you aren't on collosal doses and are keeping hydrated. One thing to remember is monohydrate needs an insulin spike to process, Eythl Ester doesn't, nor does Kre Alykaln.

To be fair... if there was sideeffects like you describe, a lot of bodybuilder wannabes would be in a lot of trouble!

16. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

he does have a point.

and i've always been a fan of ethyl ester or other forms. i've always just had better success than w/ mono.

17. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Creatine along ephedrine is on legit supplement

I used creatine a lot in the past when i wanted to gain size and strenght and it works very well.

<edited by coma>

The thing is that when you stop taking it you just dont keep the gains because its all water, cell volume has they call it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  18. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

yeah i notice i lose size, but my strength gains i might make will stay with me.

19. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

The problem ive found with not dissolving creatine is you spend sometime painting the toilet!

As said aswel, if you can dissolve it in warmer water then you should be fine (and less time stirring!)

20. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

you lose water weight, water retention gives you false size by giving you a more puffy look