Creatine for medical use

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by David, Mar 9, 2006.

1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Here's a turn-up for the books - me looking into training supplements...

A friend has a genetic condition which, through knock-on effects, leads to a lack of creatinine/creatine in the system. I've read that experiments on poor little mice and on some test humans show creatine supplements have helped with the condition.

I don't know if creatine is available through medical channels so, in the meantime, would like to see if a suitable type/brand is available off the shelf.

The underlying condition of my friend means that only 15g of protein can be eaten per day. A creatine supplement that is full of proteins would therefore be a real pain for her as she'd have to cut back even more on her food.

So, first, is creatine a protein itself? When you buy it, can you get it just by itself or does it come with extra nutrients (or whatever)? Anything else I should worry about generally?

She will be getting a professional (or two) before trying anything, so don't hold back.

Rgds,
    David

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Have a look on myprotein.co.uk (beter still ask Ad McG for his code)

They have good quality creatine and whey protien (sold seperately). I'm using the creapure creatine at the moment. Better than the cheapest, although the Creatine CEE may be worth trying but it will taste nasty unless capped, so maybe not! :D

ps Creatine may not improve your Dim mak skills :D

3. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Muscle tech’s creatine 6000 mixed with grape juice is my favorite. This is a monohydrate form. It is famous for water retention (small amounts in the muscle cells). BSN cellmass and Green Bulge are two forms of CEE creatine. This is the most modern form and is supposed to absorb into the muscle tissue better.
    I use monohydrate because I have a slightly torn rotator cuff and the extra water retention helps lubricate the joint. It’s a pain killer and strength increaser for me.
    Most healthy people respond in a very positive way to creatine supplementation as noted in many controlled studies; however of all the people I know that use creatine few agree on which one is best.KICKBOY

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Ignore Muscle Tech, complete rip-off.

If you're going to use creatine monohydrate then you need high GI carbs for effective uptake. This is why people often take it with a post-workout shake where high GI carbs may be ingested. I would recommend creatine ethyl ester (CEE) as you don't need to take in carbs, so it can just be popped either in caps or as a straight powder flushed with water. Capped is probably more favourable, because apparently it tastes utterly disgusting.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/c...ster-tablets/creatine-ethyl-ester-tablets.cfm

That is the pre-capped form. For inactive users who require a dose for medical reasons, I would take 2g a day or thereabouts, 3g is just a waste. Feel free to PM me for a discount code :)

5. David

Thankyou, I'll pass it on.

This could make a real difference to somebody!

Rgds,
    David

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

A lot of advice on here makes a real difference to some people :)

7. David

And there I was, being really nice for a change and a subtle ambiguity makes it look like I'm dissing again. Sorry!

:)