Creatine dosage?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Illonos, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

Hi.
    I looked through some threads here, without reilly finding an answer to this problem, so here goes; my first threadstart in years..

I have just started using creatine as a supplement, and I'm confused as to how I am ment to use it, naturally afraid to get it wrong and mess things up.
    I use creatine in pillform, for the record.

The salesman who sold me the creatine told me to use 2 capsules about an hour before workout, and that would about do it. no intake on non-training days.
    On the box, it says; one or two capsules about half an hour before training, and one or two capsules within half an hour after training, and one or two in the morning on days I don't work out.

Why would I take creatine on days I don't work out? and what is the "right" use of creatine as a supplement?

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Personally I wouldn't bother over-analysing it. The only reason to take it is to ensure that your body's own supplies are fully topped up. Just neck one or two every morning.

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Ditch the pill form. Creatine Monohydrate (micronized) is the most efficient form AND is also the CHEAPEST form...kinda ironic. Pill form is just one of the hypes. They (advertisments) push the convienence of it. If you buy from the 'major' companies you also get 'blends' that you have NO idea what is in it. Like MusleTech. They say 'propietary blend' right on the side and won't tell you what that means. Just find a good, simple form of monohydrate (my two cents).

As far as dosage goes: it really depends on you. Poke around the net (google) and you will find 'conclusive' studies that will say take it 'this way' or take it 'that way' and none of them agree. Basically it comes down to how your body reacts to the supplement. Experiment and find what works best for you.

Just so you know, I take a heaping teaspoon of monohydrate 30 minutes before my workout, sip a drink that has another teaspoon in it during my workout, and another heaping teaspoon within one hour after my workout. No intake on non-weight lifting days. That is what I have found works the best for me. Tried to loading phase..no difference. Tried cycling..nothing.

Just remember, it is not a magic bullet. You have to put in the work in order to have it help you.

4. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

Thanks men, that cleared things out a bit.

5. kenpokidd

kenpokidd Valued Member

Creatine is supposed to make the muscles look fuller. Something to suppliment the body's normal production. I never gained anything from it myself. Of course I only did it only for two months though. The Loading phase etc.

6. Tempura

Tempura Valued Member

correct me if im wrong, but creatine dosage is like 5g 4-6 times a day for a week, with food, which contains carbs. then to maintain creatine levels you would have to take 2-3g everyday.

btw i got this out of a book.