Crackin Trainin

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pgm316, Nov 17, 2005.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Does anybody else suffer with joints thats crack and click when put under pressure?

When I used to use the leg press my ankles would make some terrible noises! Although the strange thing is, I don't have any problems while doing the squats! :confused:

I'm curious to why this is? I rarely do the leg press these days now I know squats are a far better exercises, so problem solved in a way, but still puzzled :D

2. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

I think that in leg press the machine controls the path of the movement.
    When you do squats the legs take more natural turn, thus clicks are avoided.
    Just a theory.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sounds like a decent theory, highlights another reason to avoid the evil machines! ;)

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I had the same thing with the leg press and the bench press with the machines. I still have the issue with free weights and doing bench and squats. However now the issue is only on the first set. Guess age is catching up to me. :D

5. Gasg

Gasg Valued Member

Yes :(

Mostly in the hips. It's kinda weird, it often feels like it's locking, and then when it clicks, it's like im freed and have a whole new range of motion. Doesn't quite hurt but it's annoying. When doing the horsestance i can't do it perfectly until it cracks :S

6. Yep - dips and shoulder presses. My shoulder is a little "click-happy" anyway, but shoulder presses make it sing :) Dips just cause all sorts of wierd noises.

7. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I click and pop with large compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and dips or chins (not bench though, go figure, maybe cause I've learned not to go so deep). It's only during warmup sets or almost maximal sets though. My guess is the load placed on the joints compresses them so much that it has the effect of increasing pressure enough that it will pop bubbles (much like when you crack your knuckles) in the synovial fluid. After all the popping's said and done though, I feel pretty decent and loose afterwards.

8. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

every step i take with my left leg it pops

9. The left side of my hip seems to go crack every now and then when squatting :( Not nearly as much as with dips and shoulder presses, though :D