Cracked ribs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taffyleigh, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I'm gutted, the doctor seems to think that i have cracked my rib(s). I started having pains in my side a few weeks ago, especially whenever i sneezed. Then this morning on the way to work i sneezed and i had a pain so bad it felt like somebody had stuck a knife into me, how i didn't crash the car i don't know!!! The doctor examined me and seems to think i have cracked a rib or 2, but didn't bother sending me for an x-ray as apparently they no longer do this for rib injuries?!!! He told me that i just have to take it easy and take pain killers, which means i will be out of action for a FEW WEEKS!!!!! Any body got any suggestions for helping the recovery of my ribs, i was thinking of something like a medical corset (if there is such a thing), but would this do any good or make matters worse?:confused:

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ack...I had some of those after a speculative jump spin back kick went awry (don't ask).
    My advice is not to sneeze or laugh for at least two weeks. :confused:
    Other than that take your meds and read up on martial arts and watch it on Youtube rather than training it.
    If the doctor didn't put any strapping on it then I wouldn't either.

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I am not a medical person, but have had a couple of friends with broken ribs.

Their treatment was...painkillers.

I don't think a corset would be a good idea in case the bones set in the wrong place which would cause further problems.

I do know that they both had x-rays to determine that their ribs were broken and that there was no penetrating injury to the lungs are any other organs.

If I was you, given your level of pain, I would present myself to my nearest casualty department where they know more about this than a GP. Maximum 4 hour wait for peace of mind, having been looked at by doctors who deal with lots of broken bones, and worse.

I hope you get this resolved and are soon on the road back to full fitness.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Wow I'm surprised you can even sleep at night with cracked ribs.

I've not had cracked ribs, I've had bruised ribs before and that took about a month to heal. What helped me a lot was after the month (to give things time to heal), I started doing side crunches to work the rib area and build up strength. After the strength started coming back, the muscles helped to hold things together and I was good to go again.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Rib belts used to be standard treatment.Ask your doctor, but I would say go buy one and wear it.

After the first time, I didn't bother to get x-rayed or even go to the doctor.Just took the belt out of the drawer and put it on.

Since they're cracked,and not a "real" break, a belt won't cause them to set wrong.(Actually, the first time mine got damaged I didn't go see the Dr. for a few days,and those are the ones that didn't heal so well,as they weren't belted 'til then).And it makes life a bit more comfy.You can do some training, too.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I had ribs so badly bruised it was almost cracked, they went over the xrays like 10x looking for hairline fractures.
    (it even hurt when i pooped)

Basically i was given painkillers, rest, rest, rest. No form of activity at all...as if I started to take a deep breath or breath heavy (no more phone calls for me) it'll hurt.

After a couple of weeks when its getting better, some light stretching would help.

7. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

If they aren't broken bad enough to actually move around, the treatment is indeed painkillers and taking it easy. If you are walking around and cursing doctors rarely x-ray those.
    One thing i know though, if you think your ribs are broken and have a hard time breathing get into the ER right now now now you should be going alread jesus christ what is wrong with you.
    My friend once almost died of a pneumothorax after falling over drunk and being too stubborn to go to the ER. We ended up calling the ambulance when he keeled over.

8. Hogstooth

Hogstooth Valued Member

I can tell you what helped me. My doctor said the same thing "go home and take these and take it easy. My Sensei Showed me how to reduce the discomfort. Buy some sports tape and wrap from the middle of the front of your body to the middle of your back. If you know exactly were the ribs are wrap enough tape to cover about 4 ribs up from the crack to 4 ribs down from the crack. It isolates the rib and doesn't allow it to shift when you move. If you are looking for a way to train with cracked ribs you are a few screws loose. Don't do it. If the rib breaks completely through it could puncture a lung and your training days will be over for more than a few weeks.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That does however increase your risk of chest infection, the main complication of chest injuries, because it inhibits chest wall movement.

10. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Take the time to rest and heal, it's frustrating, but anything else is likely to exacerbate your injury and prolong your pain.

11. kez56

kez56 Valued Member

As someone who has suffered a rib injury before, I can only concur with those who have already prescribed rest and pain medication.

My injury was rib cartiledge rather than a crack. I would have preferred a crack though as cartiledge takes more time to heal.

Probably one of the most painful things I have ever experienced....it hurt to do just about everything.:cry:

12. wayneshin

wayneshin Valued Member

I am just recovering from broken ribs. Did them in early August.
    The first week or so was pretty painful The Doctor didn't bind them.I don't think they do that anymore. I think there is a risk of pnemonia from not breathing deeply enough.
    He did prescribe anti-inflammatories which helped a lot. I was also on a cough suppresent because I was just recovering from a cold and still coughing a lot. OUCH!!!!
    You are going to need to rest it for a couple of weeks at least. I started exercising again after about two weeks but it was probably a month before I could do most things. I can still feel it a bit when I stretch.
    Good luck with your recovery.

13. Youkai

Youkai Valued Member

I've broken ribs on two occasions, once during a football match the other the result of a drunken dive across a table and onto a wooden chair :-(. Both were dealt with painkillers and doing nothing in anyway physically exerting until they got better. I've trained with broken toes, fingers, aches and pains but broken ribs nooo way.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh yeah.I sprained a rib once.Give me cracked ribs anyday.ANYDAY!

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Give me in-tact ribs anyday! ;)

I'd rest. Any injury needs it. Maybe you shouldn't do much, but listen to your body most of all.

16. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

You cracked them by sneezing:)?

I had 3 broken ribs around decade ago. I didn't go to the Drs. until a week or so later, I presumed there was just some bruising. Initially they weren't that painful....until I had a bit of a cough.

According to my Dr. it's often the case with ribs. He said they are often at their most painful 7-10 days after the incident. Your sneeze could have been fortunate, a hit to the ribs when training when they're already broken could have nasty consequences.

Not wanting to rub it in but its time and painkillers I'm afraid. As has been said they don't bind them these days.....you need 'em for breathing. I remember mine hurting when doing any straining (yes pooing too). On the plus side once they started to improve they seem to get better pretty quick.

17. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I went into A&E at the hospital on the weekend, the pain i was in unbearable, the doctor examined me and thinks the other doctor got it wrong its not my ribs its my spleen!!!!! He said to carry on taking painkillers and he will arrange for a scan, could be an infected spleen but worst scenario could be a ruptured spleen!!!! Now i'm really worried!!!!

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Hang in there. The spleen is like an eggshell if I remember correctly. I seem to also recall that a ruptured spleen can kill you in the first 24 hours, so since you are still alive... that is good news. Sorry for the morbid sense of humor.

Definitely follow doctors orders and take care of yourself.

19. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Thanks rebel, thats good news, i think. Its the waiting around for the scan that is going to be annoying, he said he would put it through as a priority but with the waiting lists as they are with the nhs at the moment that could mean months!!!!

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I don't think you could have fully understood him. If he thought there was any likelihood of you having a ruptured spleen he would have arranged a scan for you then and there, not sent you home to wait for an outpatient scan.