Covid Vaccine check in

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well, I have a sinus infection, possible snowstorm coming the same evening which will require me to deal with clearing my driveway.....covid booster postponed

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well, I have a sinus infection, and a possible snow storm coming that same evening which will require me to clear the driveway the next morning...early....covid booster postponed

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita.png

It's interesting to compare different countries vaccination rates, Cuba are doing amazingly, especially considering the trade embargo they are under.

Xue if you don't mind me asking, (and feel free to ignore this question if you want)

You've had close to, if not over, a year now to get your vaccinations sorted, and your in the at risk age categories for covid, but you don't seem to be taking the steps needed to get your self vaccinated fully. Why is that?

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I lose a good friend that I know for 30 years just because that person doesn't want to take the shot.

I got my booster a month ago. I have seen people start to wear mask outdoor. I'll put mask on outdoor if people are near by me.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

? He just posted that he is going to have to reschedule his booster. Which means he is fully vaccinated. Can't get boosted if not fully vaxxed to begin with. Also means he is in the process of getting a booster.

I am confused by this question right after he posted about it. Did you miss that? It is just above your post. :confused:o_O

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Seeing so much division over this. People I previously thought were OK coming out as full on anti-vaxx or vaxx-skeptic.
    When we get an actual deadly global pandemic (and it seems to be a case of "when" not "if") it's really not going to go well for humanity. We can't even get this dress rehearsal right let alone the big show.

Anth, David Harrison, Mitch and 2 others like this.
  8. Dead_pool

I had my booster late September, that's over three months ago, he's spoken to multiple people about getting vaccinated, and only choose the JJ because he had to because of his operation, despite it being poorer protection, at every step of the way, he's put off getting vaccinated until he has too.
    (IIRC his wife is a retired doctor too, perhaps that has something to do with it)

I'm asking not for individual reasons but because in general the states are doing so poorly compared to other countries in getting their population covered, is there a group cultural reason for this? Perhaps it's all the choices you guys get? we had that initially in the UK, late December 2020 we'd go to a care home, bring enough vaccines for the entire staff and residents and half the staff would lie about already being vaccinated when they found out it was Pfizer, they wanted the UK vaccine, not German vaccine, so we'd have to throw away hundreds of doses of Pfizer, next week we'd turn up with AZ, and again the staff would lie again because they heard AZ is associated with a tiny increase in risk of blood clots, then six months later they'd turn up at the vaccination sites, for their first jabs and then walk off when they found out it was moderna that day.

It was incredibly frustrating, especially after so many residents from care homes died during our first wave.

Perhaps the utilitarian aspect of herd immunity doesn't play well with people used to individual freedom being the most important part of their lives, but when a society faces an existential threat (covid isn't that, but it is a destabilising factor) minor individual freedoms should take second place to the greater group responsibility.

Just thinking out loud,

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've been following some debates on why people aren't getting the vaccine (mainly through the admitted small lens of martial arts and people like Stephan Kesting posting stuff) and I'm just not seeing any good reasons.
    Good reasons I would class as things like being allergic to it, being immuno-compromised, etc. Even being needle-phobic I'd understand.

But none of that is said...the reasons for not getting vaxxed I've seen are stuff like...

Not wanting to be told what to do by government/science
    It's against my rights
    I lift weights/eat healthy/take vitamins so I'm healthy
    People aren't dying OF covid they are dying WITH covid
    Covid isn't that bad anyway
    It's a liberal conspiracy that is silencing conservative scientists
    The vaccine is a poison
    We just need to live with covid like we do flu and the common cold
    Covid may have been bad but omicron isn't that bad so we've beaten covid anyway
    The vaccine isn't tested
    The vaccine will change your DNA

And I think that kind of thinking does become uniquely powerful and persuasive in the American cultural psyche where the individual is king and not the collective good.

10. Dead_pool

A lot of it is just denial mixed with wishful thinking, which are preyed upon by the grifters of the alt right scene.

Candice Owens explaining away why trump is wrong is an amazing bit of media theatre.

Especially because shes vaccinated herself, but using anti Vax narratives to create income for herself.
    For further examples see all of fox news.

Candace Owens says Trump believes in vaccines because he is not on the internet

David Harrison, Mitch and axelb like this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Ah you forgot the "inserting a tracking chip"
    Maybe they have realised that it's too extreme.

The excuses are just a cover for the real reason that there are a small portion of the population who do not trust the government and by extension any process associated with it.
    If it was a 30 minutes back massage, being pushed then they would still find a way of objecting.
    The alt right movement certainly has a large weight in the game with certain popular podcast being a platform for them, a rich guy selling supplements and fitness equipment telling everyone that all you need to of to keep fit and take the right (insert podcast sponsor) supplements.

Many people take what they see on face value. I burst into a fit of crazy laughter every time I hear or read another "don't trust the science"/are you awake/don't be a sheeple comment. Common language used by people brainwashed into mindlessly following a movement.

I do like Stephan Keating's input, there aren't many in his realm that actively make their voice known.

It was interesting to listen to Pfizer CEO on Lex Friedman's podcast, I thought it was fairly balanced.

David Harrison, aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Some people believe ridiculous stuff and other people make profit off them. I just read on Facebook experience of my friends about people were are willing to spend not insignificant amount of money to buy a "potion" from a shaman for cleansing the body off the vaccine in a few days :D
    Or paying for some kind of sticker you would plaster on your body after each shot for it to neutralize the 5G chip from the vaccine. It had me laughing :D Hats down to those sellers' ingenuity! It is ridiculous, though, that there really are people buying it. Well, if they are willing to get the shots when they know they can get a potion for it afterwards, I guess those who profit off it are actually doing a good deed for the society :D

aaradia likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

What is lex Friedman s podcast like, I've always assumed he was a grifter like most BJJ podcasters but I've never looked into him at all, so that may not be right.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've had his stuff pop up in my Youtube suggestions from time to time but never clicked for fear my recommendations will get infected with all sorts of right wing and "anti-woke" nonsense. Seems to be part of that crowd?

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

@Dead_pool

I was also very cautious given the company he often associates with.
    I have listened to a selection of his podcasts, I find him moderately engaged with the guest and from what I can tell seems to try to take an unbiased approached in discussion and doesn't seem to have a regular agenda to push the conversation in a particular direction like many others you would normally associate with him.

He has a better range of guests, me being a computer and science geek these often appeal to me, and I think he has a good approach about asking hard questions without being confrontational about it.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. axelb

18. Dead_pool

I'll give him a try on a podcast app, and save my YouTube algorithm!

Thanks for the suggestion

axelb likes this.
  19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm so sorry to hear you lost a friend. I hope you have good memories to help you through your loss.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Disturbingly common in the UK too.

A nation built on the science that enabled and flowed from the industrial revolution, once proud of our technology and engineering, now wilfully wallowing in the swamp of pseudoscience.

axelb, aaradia and Dead_pool like this.