Covering up/Holding someone off...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Tartovski, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Just wondered if anyone can give me a few tips to get out the nasty habit of covering up too much when someone comes steaming in at you.

When my opponent rushes in, I pull my elbows in tight, forearms together and vertical, hands covering my face. Obviously that compromises visability, but it does protect well.

I'm finding that I'm covering up well (ie most of the strikes are hitting my guard) but to the detriment of being able to fight back.
    Any suggestions as to how to get out of this habit? Or how to stop bloody blinking whenever someone throws a big shot?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

First off, there's really no issue about covering yourself real well - I usually spar with my hands high (like palms on forehead high) - this tends to give me a very good cover to start with. When people start throwing, I try to use my crazy monkey defense and my normal hand defenses to keep shots off me, but I never drop my head and go into a purely defensive mode. My eyes are always on my partner and I'm always looking for a path to return.

Second, MOVE YOUR FEET. When people step in swinging heavy, move back, then to the side. Circle out.

Additionally, to help stop blinking, just do defensive drills. Have someone stand in front of you and throw shots, you defend, get used to staying in the pocket and defending shots and being ready to return. Just staying in range and having to defend against punches is great to stop that blink reflex. Additionally, try the defensive drills with your back to a wall.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think if you can defend well do it. Just pick your shots well, once you know you've connected, go for it straight away.
    As Yohan says, never stop moving in all directions.

4. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i kinda know what he means.....once you cover up its hard to see.....and for you guys in the know....the heavy hitters can blast right though you gaurd....

meaning that they will throw shots at your head anyway...and even through the guard they hurt...his glove hitting your glove hitting your head.

so when you cover you when he comes ...yes protect yourself...but you have to break up there combinations.

so option one....move to the side..alot of times i just slip and throw a body blow

two learn how to throw back while still being relitively covered

. how...keep your chin tucked way deep, keep your gaurd hand up ...and throw i tight punch almost stright out from your gaurd...you know you have it if when your arm is extended your one had should be covering half your head and your head should be tucked up next to your throwing shoulder...almost like you are smelling your arm pit.

both these things you should practice on a weaker sparrer until you get it down

5. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

This is a great drill if you're n00b1sh (like moi). there's no where to go, and if you choke up, you get hit!

6. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Cheers for all your suggestions guys, I'll try them out next time I fight him.

The annoying thing I do know this all, it's just that when you are in the heat of the moment and someone is swinging in hard and heavy it all goes out the window!
    It's quite frustrustring as otherwise I don't think i'm that bad a fighter - not great, but certainly not terrible.

I think it's just getting used to the heavy contact (the guy is a full contact fighter, so we tend to go pretty heavy)
    ie I have no real problems keeping distance and using my reach when i fight medium/light contact, but even though he's smaller than me, i have real problems when he comes blasting in.

7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

All good advice here.

Depending on your rules, you can also:

stand your ground (or even step forward) to initiate clinch to disrupt them
    stop hit with the teep (to the hip joint is great for this)
    look at throwing leg kicks from a tight guard - keeps the head protected, disrupts and damages them. This combines well with lateral movement

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh having a good cover isnt a bad thing to have.

Just try not to freeze and lower your head too much. As Yohan said use footwork and also if you watch any good boxers, they will either go in for the clinch to negate the attack or use slipping/bobbing to avoid getting nailed then either counter or spin out.

Another good drill is to do certain sparring drills, you can tie yourself to your sparring partner using some belts, so you cant really get out of close range. It's a good way to get used to fighting up close.

9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

don't think i can add much to this apart from be patient with yourself, I've been in the same situation with training, and doing as others said over time helped alot. Now getting in close is one of my prefered tactics, many don't expect it from someone with my lankyness.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Just keep things nice and slow so you don't go into "survival mode." Adrenaline dump can be a bitch.

11. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Very true. Though obviously (as I said above) the whole thing is a transition between light and heavy sparring for me, so in a way i'm kinda trying to get that adrenaline pumping thang!

12. Moi

This was on a thread the other day. Check out the head movement and the way he trains for it. You see him get better and better with the same exercise as the video progresses. It now part of my sons training.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0"]Mike Tyson Training Highlight Reel From www.mike-tyson.info - YouTube[/ame]

49 secs & from 2 min onwards

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. Hiroji

Your son is going to be a animal MD!

14. Moi

He already is ;) Sweet with it though :love:

15. Hiroji

Just remember me when he's world champion & your both rich!

16. Moi

He hasn't shown the level of commitment necessary to take it to the next step. Getting him ready for a fight is like pulling teeth. If he's in a club or in the gym he gives 120%, out of either I doubt we get 50. He's still young yet though.
    To be honest I'm glad, gives him the time for other activities, whether martial arts based or otherwise. Variety is the spice...............

17. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i have been thinking a bit about this off and on.

correct me if im wrong.
    1. you are new to full contact
    2. and this guy hits hard.
    3. you have a karate or point fighting background

so waht happens is that you are ok from a distance.....and this is about accurate since karate makes use of distance and ranges as a defense.

however unfortuately dispite what alot of folks say....you cant keep someone away forever....thats a side note

now when the guy comes in ...he has blasted you before so you are for lack of a better word "scared" and cover up and stay balled while he wails away at your arms......the second you peak out wam.

if this is correct you need to spar with a lighter hitter for a while....say three days...until you get a little less gun shy and go back to him....repeat

3days weak guy

1 day heavy hitter

3 days weak guy

on the weak guy you will be less afraid to, slip, perry, counter or beat them to the punch

18. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

1 - yes
    2 - yes, he is a FC fighter with more experience than me (though he is smaller).
    3 - sort of: We spar both points (which i now try to avoid) and light continuous, so i'm used to the continuous kickboxing sparring, just not the contact.

I think you sum up the problem pretty much correctly. As i said above, the annoying thing is i KNOW what i'm doing wrong, it's just a matter of telling my body that!
    I don't mind getting hit, but i think i'm a little paranoid of getting injured, as last time i sparred him i cracked/bruised a rib... I've realised this has spilled over a bit into even light contact sparring as i'm still covering up for fear of injury, even though there really is none!
    Anyway: Yesterday I actually sparred a few different people (both heavier than me) that aren't FC fighters and did much better towards the end of the session once i'd got a bit more used to being hit, but not hurt.
    (that make sense?!)

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

btw if you feel like a real fool when you do it ....join the club EVERYONE does that when they start out......

i dont do it at all anymore.....thats kid stuff.......yeah till i go against one of the pro fighters at my club....a few good cracks and im back to earmuff city (covering up) :cry:

20. Daniel84

Daniel84 Valued Member