Couple of questions about punching conditioning

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hey all, I have a few questions having started thai boxing and a month ago and having just gotten nice new heavy bag for xmas. :D

The first is - how to strengthen the wrists for punching? I can feel they are the weak link in my strikes already

Second question is - how to toughen knuckles in a way that isn't hazardous to health?

Third is - does anybody have a nice system/huge list for thai boxing combinations to practice on the heavy bag?

Thanks a million, and happy holidays.

Jack

2. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Hi Jack,
    you can do all the dit da jaw and the grippers and the wrist rollers. But nothing will substitute for good fist/knucle push ups.

3. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Two words: Hand wraps. Learn how to put them on properly, and use them with a heavy bag. If you are already feeling it in your wrists, you are already doing damage. There's a reason boxers wear handwraps, and despite what others may tell you, all the strengthening in the world won't prevent damage to your wrists. It's a complex joint involving multiple tiny bones and ligaments. Pounding a heavy bag does condition, but you need to support those joints.

I would stick to knuckle pushups, and just using the heavy bag. Some people advocate using a makiwara (sp?) board, but I haven't tried it myself.

Bas Rutten has some videos with some decent combos for training. They may be floating around on the 'Net somewhere. ;)

4. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hey thanks guys

I got some hand wraps the other day but I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply them properly. Must be like the Karateka's first lesson - putting the bloody belt on.

5. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

It's best if your shown how----following along as you are watching someone else. Talk to your instructor about this. It is a bit confusing at first :)

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i wouldnt advise you to use a heavy bag on your own until you have had a few months training either. none of my coaches have been a fan of that because you end up developing bad habits no your own before you have a real idea of how to punch

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

knuckle pressups should strengthen your wrists and toughen up your knuckles, this would probably be my first piece of advice for this too.