Counters/defense to elbow strikes

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by EdiSco, Oct 8, 2016.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hi guys,

So just been studying thai elbow strikes this morning. These are Pretty horrific strikes! I agree with Shane in the video in that elbow and palm strikes are preferable to punches in a street scenario.

The only thing I can't find something decent on is defense against elbow. Stepping back/swaying away are common sense which Shane and every other video I've watched cover BUT, wouldn't a better counter be to uppercut elbow into opponent's elbow which sets them up nicely for a knee?
    Also, is slipping/ducking ever a good idea to avoid elbows?
    any other good counters? needless to say always have your guard up which boxing teaches pretty well!
    ps I only do boxing and have no other experiance but training thai is my ultimate goal :D
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjfC4Pr5trw"]Comprehensive Guide on Elbow Strikes in MMA & MuayThai - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The two main defenses are a high guard and move of the way. the first because elbows are close range weapons that come from no where so you don't have time to uppercut with your own elbow you just cover and hope to catch them on your arms (this is why thais like the downward elbow it tends to sneak though a high guard). The second because eblows move in a fixed arc so you can move out of the way easily enough If you see it coming. Mind you you normally see it coming because it's thrown from the wrong distance.

Best way to counter an elbow is to control the distance, and in the clinch control the arms and head so they can't posture and get distance to throw.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you

- extend your left arm between your opponent's right arm and his head,
    - extend your right arm between his left arm and his head,

[​IMG]

you can "separate" his arms away from his body and obtain a "double over hooks" or "bear hug". If you put your body between your opponent's arms, his elbows can't reach you.

[​IMG]

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Most of the elbows trained for Thai boxing have more of a cut to them. They are very quick and could be said to cut open the opponent. When an opponent (that isn't used to getting cut) gets cut and see's their own blood, they can freak out and loses their will to fight, but on the other hand, they can do the opposite and get really angry. We know of longer term effects of cuts such as swelling and blood in the eyes, etc.

The power elbows are more straight line techniques and because of the way pivot points work, tend to be really close in compared to the slicing elbows.

Okay for defense or counter against elbows... Learn how to throw good elbows and this will help you learn how to defend against them. The advice from icefield and YKW is excellent. These are single tactics that basically tell it all. So I want to add to that the idea of flow or fluidity. Elbows are not single techniques but they flow to and from something else. A punch can change to an elbow given the flow of combat and an elbow can change to a punch. If elbows just become part of the flow of combat, then defending against them comes more naturally, IMHO.

For example of flow, see the following video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6As1h54LKzc"]Paul Vunak - Dumog - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. the two hand grab on one arm is not legal in Thai boxing.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you dodge your head under a hook punch (or hay-maker), make sure you use one of your hands to "cover and push" on his elbow joint away from your head.

In the following clip, may be the boxing rule set doesn't allow elbow striking, the training is not there. When your dodge your head under your opponent's hook punch, it's very easy for him to use his elbow to side strike on your head (or give you a reverse head lock).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JP-lCKc93k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JP-lCKc93k[/ame]