Countering a straight blast?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Cain, Dec 1, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<I doubt very muct you will block all the punches.>
    PGM if u notice i m talking about not being into defensive mode if i m blocking all the punches then i m doing that ... so i m already on disadvantage... that's what i m trying to do...

yup simon we can agree to disagree... NP
    n i hate fill in the blanks :D
    -TkdWarrior-

2. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

As you step in (quickly), you'll probably receive a punch or two. Because when I do this, I guard my head (also, I'm quite tall), these will land on my chest. And because I've stepped in, they've not had the full motion to build up the power in the punches: the punches will not have enough power built up to do any damage. Switch to grappling (probably with an elbow strike to the head from your non-guard arm on the way in), and the attackers reliance on the blast is nullified.

I've never managed to make increasing range against a determined attacker work (with a cautious attacker, OK), even though I do a LOT of footwork practice. So if they're outgunning you at the range you're at, you need to switch to a closer one... This is why it's vital to be strong at all ranges (Kicking, Punching, Elbow/Knee, Grappling, Groundwork).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Well thats fair enough Tkd, but you must be prepared to exchange blows, if the other person can do a good straight blast. Maybe this is something you find acceptable. And to be honest that’s the way I often end up, and it seems to work for me ;)

Stepping back isn’t just defensive, its also about drawing your opponent out and making them step into you attacks. Can work well, and should be less risky!

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I’ve always used range to good effect, maybe its because of the kickboxing sparring I’ve done, or just the way I fight[?] fighting at close range is usually the messiest range to fight in, ending in brawling, which is fine if you can handle that. It all depends how you want to fight......

Are you prepared to take a punch or two, I've sparred with people that would be happy to supply two punches in that way, capable of knocking you out or as I found out, cracking a rib :rolleyes:

5. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

As I said, the trick is to move in close enough that they don't have space to build power in their punches. I'm not going to stand there and take full power punches!

I still stand by what I said before - the best tactic is to preempt the attempt at a straight blast and take them out first (preferably from kicking range).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2003
  6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

iolair, thats fair comment, I wasn't trying to say one way was right and the other wrong. Just that they all have different risks.

I also like to pre-emt a situation, definitely the most effective method, but surely a pre-emp can't be a counter! ;)

You wouldn't need to move in for kicking range would you?

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Moving in is a good idea if they r aiming for ur torsos but if they target ur face then maybe u r in big trouble........

|Cain|

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey pgm i can understand stepping back is not defensive but the prob is very common even in decent MAist that is
    1. not much ppl can hit while stepping back(even if they, no force)
    2. not much ppl learn to step back with efficience
    3. backfard stepping is slower than forward stepping
    these r things which i noticed n made comment that backstepping becomes defensive while using...
    ah yea pgm in Taichi warding off can be used as an attack itself so again when u attack on attack u give more chances to u to make ur oppnt switiching into defensive mode
    tho pre empt is always inarguably the best method to stop any altercation :D

cain the problem is that we can't just analyse the situation it's much easy to deal than u can think... just hav someone chain punching u, u'll feel it.
    -TkdWarrior-

9. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Presumably an Aikidoka or Judoka would come up with some cunning way to use the forward motion of the attacker?

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree it can be difficult to punch while stepping back, often depends how good your footwork is. Although my point was to step back first, forcing them to take a step into you. Should disrupt the straight blast slightly. Allowing you to strike them as they try and close the range down again.

In theory standing your ground against a straight blast isn't the smartest.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i think i m missing something here...
    i m not exactly talking about standing there n take on beating it'll not work in any kind of offense... i m talking about yielding/adhering techniques that's common in taiji/bagua/aikido watever i m doin in not going back maybe moving in or just a step in arc to yeild his power...
    it's kind a hard to explain with notes doh...
    -TkdWarrior-

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I know you don't plan to stand there and take a beating, but it might happen anyway :D

The original question was how to counter a straight blast from a skillfull oponent. So with skillfull in mind, is going in headlong the best option? Expect a good battle! ;)

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<The original question was how to counter a straight blast from a skillfull oponent. >
    ok this chance is one in hundred millions unless u r against Yoda :D ;)
    seriously i noticed being skillfull...
    n it's the way i liked to do it...i had very bad habbit which took yrs to remove n it was back pedalling n seriously did i got in trouble wiht that?? one thing for sure my blocks were become inpenetrable...
    if u oppnt is skillful then i prefer myself to be skillful :D
    -TkdWarrior-

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Talking of Yoda, wonder what he's verdict is on this???????
    After all he is the straight blast Jedi! :)

15. slc

slc Banned Banned

Go back to page 1 and read what Andy D wrote.

(sorry Yoda I'm not suggesting for one second that you don't answer but I think what Andy said makes a lot of sense and maybe we should go back and take a look at this).

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey Simon,

I know what andy's gettin but to be honest chi sau is a very specific technique to wing chun and a few other arts like JKD however to train this takes time and lots of practice to make it practical. Chi sau is not the be all and end all its part of the whole. by this I mean you would maybe start with a pak sau (slap hand) then change into the chi sau techniques of sticky hands and maybe finish with a lop sau (grabbing hand) pulling your opponent in to a lock/strike or whatever.

I think this is a very complicated way to go and would take years to master. Personally I would say a good slip inside followed by a few hooks and or uppercuts would be a whole lot easier to master than chi sau. Iam saying this because when you watch a boxing match you dont see straight blasts that often coz if you try that on a good boxer as an attacking weapon you would be lucky to get a hit in.

IMHO I reckon that the straight blast is a counter striking combo.

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I can see where you are coming from, and have no doubt that your approach would work John, as would that of others here.

Where I might challenge you, is that I don't feel it takes a long time to learn Chi Sau. It's only a drill at the end of the day, but very simple applications to counter the straight blast can be leaned from it in minutes. Mastery of Chi Sau is a different thing entirely, as I believe mastery of anything is an impossible paradox.

You can't chain punch with gloves on, as they get in the way!

Intercept the line of the straight blast as soon as possible, redirect it to trap and hit, or take down. Pak Sau or Bong Sau even better. Backing off is simply buying time until you find an opening?

Some fuel for the fire?

18. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

Hi John

You said "however to train this takes time and lots of practice to make it practical"

Actually, when trained correctly it doesn't. Everyone I've taught it to has benfited from it within the first session. Chi Sau is really simple its just that everyone complicates it by talking in terms of tecniques rather than principals

You said "Personally I would say a good slip inside followed by a few hooks and or uppercuts would be a whole lot easier to master than chi sau"

You don't need to master chi sau to use it effectively - chi sau simply drills you in certain vital principals that exist in combat. Obviously mastering it would certainly help :)

Andy

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Well yeah, thats exactly what it is? Is that a bad thing, to me it seems a safer option than heading headlong into a good straightblast.

Backing off and use of range seems to be used a lot more in boxing and kickboxing etc than in martial arts. In MA's people keep seeing it as a sign of weakness. Maybe its a sign you don't believe you can block each jab/cross/hook and manage to trap the person throwing the straight blast.

I think the use of range is the best strategy against the straight blast, just because throwing a lot of fast punches makes it more difficult to use range and good footwork.

Anyway just another way to handle the situation, the WC way is also a way I've been taught it and I do believe quite effective!

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Quote AndyMurray - "I don't feel it takes a long time to learn Chi Sau. It's only a drill at the end of the day, but very simple applications to counter the straight blast can be learned from it in minutes."

When Ive done chi sau at training I do concede that you can learn a few simple techniques in a few minutes. However I feel during the early stages of learning chi sau its more about feeling your opponent and is not as alive as in a sparring situation. It takes time for the novice to get up to speed in chi sau.

Quote AndyMurray:
    "You can't chain punch with gloves on, as they get in the way!"

Hmmm, never thought of that. LOL