Could skipping be the answer I have been looking for?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KidCanFight, Jun 24, 2007.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Firstly, if this doesn't belong in the Critique section then I am sorry. The only other places I thought it could go are the Cardiovascular board (which I guess also could have been an alright place) and the Bodyweight board (which didn't really seem right). If this needs to be moved or anything, then so be it.

Anyway, here is my situation; I am 16 years old, 179cm tall, and weight around 93kg-98kg (I'm not exactly sure). I am visibly overweight, and I believe it is effecting my Tae Kwon Do training and basically everything else that requires one to be fit. I also don't want to be a fattie so to speak. I don't really have a goal of how much weight I want to lose... just enough so I am not fat and am somewhat fitter.

Anyway, for the last year or so, I have been trying to find something that can help me lose this weight. I considered jogging, but I don't really have time, considering I have school, then work, then it is almost time for bed. Besides, I don't really like jogging a whole lot. I have tried weight training, but I really don't seem to have the time, however I could probably make time if I needed to. I am more trying to concentrate on losing fat, then trying to build on the muscle.

The other day at school, in sport we did some skipping, as it is Jump Rope for Heart month or something like that. I enjoyed it, and within minutes I was sweating like mad. When I got home I retrieved my skipping rope.

Today, I have skipped alot, and I am basically stuffed. My legs will be killing me tomorrow, but it sure felt good. Unlike things like jogging, I can incorporate tricks into skipping. I tried for ages before I learned to do a double-under. I was so stoked when I managed to do one, I kept skipping, trying to learn new things.

Anyway, I think skipping is the activity I have been looking for. I can get up and skip for 10 minutes before school to boost my metabolism for the day a bit, then maybe 20-30 minutes after school, then if I am working, another 15 or so minutes after school. I enjoy it too!

So, what do you fine people think? Could skipping be what I have been looking for, or not really? I understand that skipping for 15 minutes a few times a day isn't exactly going to make me Mr Universe or anything, but it is getting me active (something I am often unmotivated to do) and a good bit of fun.

Thanks for reading.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It'll help, but probably not as much as you'd like it to. Effective weight loss comes from control of your diet first and foremost. Exercise can only supplement that diet in losing weight.

Also bear in mind that skipping will only elevate your metabolism while you're doing it and for a short while after that. Weight training will elevate your metabolism for 12-24 hours afterwards as your body burns calories to repair muscle damage and build new muscle for you.

That said, if you're enjoying the skipping there's no reason to stop, just so long as you understand that it's not the magic bullet you're looking for.