Could FMA have some Spanish influence?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by katame-waza, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

i don't think it's impossible that both avenues of preserving the training and keeping it hidden from the spanish were employed. you cannot say for certain that methods were never hidden in the moro moro.

tim

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

here we go again!

pat! pat!

popcorn! beer! get your popcorn and beer here!

also will be taking bets on this one.

btw, limbas, who you calling an 'indio'?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  3. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

If the performer of the moro-moro was a swordsman, then there was no reason to hide his sword methods 'coz he was performing for his masters (the spaniards). In the same vein, no swordsman who was against the spaniards will ever perform a moro-moro.

4. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

The people who danced before the senores. That's how the spaniards saw the natives... "just like the indians". "Indio" means indian.

5. shootodog

it's a racist term.

6. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

Terms used by the spaniards:
    indios - natives conquered
    insurectos - natives who refused to be conquered
    filipinos - spaniards who were born in the P.I.

7. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

all i have to say to both of those comments is 'why?' you speak in absolutes and give no reasoning. please explain what you're meaning.

tim

8. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

This a touchy topic to most FMAers so I'd rather not dwell on it. I merely suggesting ideas other than the more popular ones. Its up to those interested if they wanna pursue their study from the hints given.

9. shootodog

and being pilipino, don't you think that it would be offensive? the spaniards used it in terms of the natives being stupid and/ or lazy. hence the stories of juan tamad. if it were a term ok to use, don't you think it would still be around today?

10. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

It was meant to be offensive.The indians should be offended being compared to a group of people who with great ardor served and danced before the mocking smiles and laughters of their conquerors.
    I am a Filipino but I have a feeling that my ancestors were called insurectos/filibusteros and not indios.
    There are still indios today... dancing and performing for their new conquerors... though they might be donning a new title... masters.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

12. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

I would have to say that there is definately a connection there. There may be little or no "proof" other than similarities in footwork, weapons and techniques...but you can not rule another country for that long of a period and not influence the fighting styles/systems of that country. The Filipinos are famous for adopting and adapting, they are able to take anything and everything they see and train and strip away the non essentials and make it their own.

13. reel deel

reel deel New Member

The reason they are in Spanish is because the Spanish once conquered the Philippinnes, it was part of the Spanish empire, there are also a lot of Spanish fencing techniques within many of the Phillipino styles, the second language of the Phillipenes is Spanish, and the islands are even named After King Phillip of Spain the one who got his beard singed when he tried to invade Britain with the Spanish armada.

14. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"the second language of the Phillipenes is Spanish"

1.Tagalog 2. English - then you have regional dialects e.g Cebu - Cebuano

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

It was my understanding (and I could be wrong, as I sometimes am. I like paprika with my plate of crow please :)) that FMA's derive from constant tribal warfare amongst each other, obviously evolving practical sword/knife play over the ages.. and from what I was told, when the Spanish invaded, the natives didn't stop fighting each other, just gained a new enemy and new fighting techniques to integrate into their native styles. Thats just how I learned it. Either way you prefer to believe the back history of FMA's, it just goes to show you how adaptable and effective they are to stand the test of time and still be some of the most formidable TMA's in modern times.

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Yes the Spanish influenced the way the Pinoy arts developed, they seen some effective fighting skills, they figured them out, adapted them and then made them very much Filipino. Much the same way as any nation would when fighting another.

An individual technique or format of fighting (e.g. Espada 'Y' Daga) for instance may well have started out as Spanish, but once it was adopted, adapted and used to great success it them became Filipino.

Best regards

Pat

17. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

The Spanish language is every where in the Philipino language. Tagalog is the national language that was implemented years ago as a way of communicating with everyone. You have to remember each village/tribe has there own language. There had to be a way of speaking a language in order to communicate with all and that is why tagalog is the national language. English is spoken over there only because of the presence of the U.S. Armed Forces. Some of the numbers still have spanish names...you will still hear people say uno-dos trace...as well as isa, dalawa etc. Mano y mano is spanish as well as abiniko. SO there is alot of spanish still used in the language.

18. Spunjer

Spunjer Valued Member

i believe it's too easy when someone give statements like what's on inosanto's book (it was hidden in the dance, blah blah blah), or what is passed down as gospel in the united states as proof of FMA's history. one must realize that the philippines has always been a bladed culture for centuries, much like any other countries in that part of the world. IMO, there are some spanish influence on what we NOW know as FMA, that's why i subscribe to this theory:

http://cebueskrima.s5.com/custom2.html

as far as do we, as filipinos, has a certain style of fighting before the spaniards came over, i believe we do. let's look at our moro brothers down south. to wield a barung or a kris is unlike any style we see on most of the northern islands. i believe, for a bladed culture, it would take more than the constant one-two-one-two strikes to defeat any invaders. this, to me, is a very complicated topic to come up with just one answer. one must know the history of the country and her people, the culture, and its nuances to even understand an inkling of what is the truth.

i wanna see is how FMA was before 1521...

dunno 'bout that, but we do have a saber like sword at the turn of the century (check out the one just below the dagger), so i reckon there's a set of skills on how to use one of these babies?

[​IMG]

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

To be able to beat certain skills and or techniques (Spanish sword play for instance) you will first have to have a good idea on how to fight witht he sword, then it would be reasonable to assume that you as the defender would study there way of play, adapt your own skills to defeat it.

So did the Spanish influence the FMA, absolutely by the mear fact that they fought each other, are the techniques used in the FMA Spanish, no. Even is some techniques started out that way they would have been given a distictive Pinoy flavour and interpretation and for that the techniques and skills used will still be Filipino.

Did the Spanish influence British Sword play, absolutely as above their skills would have to be adjusted and adapted to counter the Spanish way of playing, and visa versa.

So in effect we could say that the Spanish martial arts has been influenced by the Filipino martial arts.

Each person in battle will influence the other side, it is natural, your skills learn to adapt and adjust to the event as it changes around you. That is war and how wars are fought.

Know thy enemy as they say.

Best regards

Pat

20. shootodog

OMG! A necro-thread!

Back from the archives of 2006!

I wanted to revisit this in hopes of learning how spanish saber and the mystical circle did have a direct influence on arnis and eskrima.

Given: 350 years of colonization.
    Given: FMA is meant to adopt and adapt.
    Given: We would have studied it enough because we would one day have to fight it.

I was hoping that we could do more historical work on this because FMA would have and should have integrated it into it's repertoire given it's very nature if adopting and adapting to what it faces on the field.

Weigh in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.