Could America be successfully invaded?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bassmonkey, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I copied and pasted this from another forum, so i am not the author nor do i necessarily share the views contained within blah blah blah....

I thought this was a curious subject and the forum it was posted on had a pretty small following so i thought that you enlightened folk might have some interesting opinions.

The original post:

So what are everyones thoughts? Could America be theoretically successfully invaded? If so who do you think could do it?

Remember, you didnt see me.... :vanish:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The Europeans tried it quite a while ago now. Let me think..........they're still there!

Is there any country big enough? Would have to be from space.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Can of worms moment. If you look past realism and say every country had the same number of soldiers I'd say quite honestly i reckon the brits could do it. One of the reasons we're allies is we share a lot of technology so US wouldn't have a hardware advantage, and soldier for soldier i think the british army is better trained and more professional, but I'm hardly impartial.
    looking at real life though I dunno. I think it'd be very hard to invade any country of a reasonable size and america's vastness is a problem, it would have to be a coalition or something. Off the top of my head I'd say the Russians and the Israelis together could do it, throw in the chinese to make up some more numbers. Its definately possible but very unlikely.
    On top of anything else they'd force the NATO legislation (bout time someone did) so they'd have to invade america while fighting most of Europe

4. Moi

It's not about numbers now. It would be about surviving the end of the World (as we know it). Unless it's the Mexicans by stealth :)

5. Reuniel

Reuniel Valued Member

of course. any country can be successfully invaded it just takes a certain amount of tactics. (and funding). The american army may be well equipped but is at the moment very "thinly spread" (as a political science teacher from ucla stated directly to me).
    countries that could succesfully invade america??? Russia ( for starters the have the biggest hydrogen bomb in the world meaning 1 well placed shot and all those " resistance fighters would be wiped out due to the lack of good leadership) or they could just cut of all trade with america ( and not just america-russia trades).
    the second country which would succeed would be china, simply because of its massive numbers and the toughness of their army.

6. Moi

Once you dropped a hydrogen bomb on a country it's better to keep away for a couple of million years

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Plus thats not an invasion

8. yoj

yoj Valued Member

stupid idea.

no one can afford an invasion on such a scale, it's not about politics, the local spirit, the number of soldiers, it's about logistics. No one has that much money/resources.

Sun tzu was quite right.

9. CannibalCrowley

CannibalCrowley Valued Member

It would be a logistical nightmare. Moving the vast amounts of food, ammo, fuel, and other supplies across the ocean would be hard enough to do unopposed; but figure in the US Navy and coastal defenses and you have to plan to lose much of your supplies before they hit the shore.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You have to define success.

A country might succeed in taking a (lightly populated) chunk of the US, but without the use of Nuclear weapons, I dont see a scenario where the US could be beaten to a total surrender and once nuclear weapons are used, who would want the place?

Successfully invading a country relies heavily on support from the local population - the allied invasion of Afghanistan is holding (just about) because the local population dont want the Taliban to return and so are largely supportive of the allied presence - look at Russia's attempt to subjugate the Afghans, they got their butts whooped because they didn't try to gain local support. The same is true of Iraq, they might not want the Americans there, but they sure as hell prefer that to civil war and so they are willing to tolerate it.

I saw a programme a few years ago where they simulated an invasion of Britain by Germany at the height of WWII - despite superior numbers and firepower, the Germans were held and then pushed back.

The US's greatest advantage would be in air power - I can't think of a country on the planet (or group of countries for that matter) that would be able to gain air superiority over US soil, which makes a successful ground offensive very difficult.

11. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

I think America could be invaded. However, it would be difficult for the invading force to actually take over America.

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Even hypothetically, why would you want to? :)

Of course you could argue that America has already been successfully invaded and conquered by illegal immigrants, since they are almost unstoppable, continually increasing in number, and playing an ever increasing and important role in the economy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  13. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

"...reminiscent of the patriotism in Nazi Germany."

EVERYTHING on the internet goes back to Nazis. Everything.

14. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Tobey Keith says it better than I can:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWuA-RttGU"]YouTube - Toby Keith - Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue (The Angry American)[/ame]

Especially 2:05 to 2:20!

15. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I saw that too was really very interesting. Certainly looked at the coast and what i thought were general ruins in a new light!

In general though i think it would certainly be interesting to see how the USA as a whole, would have coped with the threat of invasion.

By invasion i mean a full scale attempt both logistically and militarily to ceaze land and to subdue (I think thats the right word) the general populous. As the original article said, alot of people do own guns in America thats a statistical fact, (as to whether or not shooting the gun sideways is effective i dont know....a vast majority of their population seem to think so! ;) ) so actually invading America and then holding the country and its population would be obviously particularly difficult. But then there is just so much of it to defend. They cant defend every port/harbour/kanding site.....can they?

It would be really interesting to see know if the US military during the pacific war (I could be confusing theaters here, i mean the rather large ruck with the Japanese) thought they would ever be invaded by the Japanese, and if so what defensive measures they were taking on land to derail and deny the Japanese any landings or invasion attempts. (Other than the A-bomb obviously, thats one hell of a precautionary measure!)

Again, thanks to everyone for contributing to this post :D

Lee

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Yep America, England, Australia, New Zealand allready gone.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Pfft... for those you (Southpaw) throwing up Russia as a possibility... are you nuts?!?
    hahahha... come on man... they got their asses handed to them not once... but twice in Afghanistan. They certainly wouldn't fare better in America where the history of distrust and many regions of landscape are essentially the same as Afghanistan.

I'm not all gung-ho America even though I'm American... but at the moment there isn't a world power that would stand a chance of successfully invading the US.

It'd be much the same problem as the Russians encountered in Afghanistan.... the sense of independance from outside forces and unwillingness to submit are far too deeply engrained in the American psyche.

We have a ton of militias at the moment who have no fear of stockpiling arms and using them... if there was an invasion of any sort you'd have thousands chomping at the bit that wouldn't be regular soldiers. There'd be hell to pay in the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevadas... and don't even go down towards the Appalachian Mountains.

Texas? New Mexico? Nevada? Utah? Lot's of mountainous terrain there. Consider much of the south... nightmare. Hahahah... nuf said right there. :D

I can't even think of anyone with a force large enough and with enough skill at urban warfare... door to door fighting who'd even have a chance of A)landing enough people B) getting on with it.

18. slipthejab

Rubbish. America was and always will be a melting pot. So playing the semantics on this issues doesn't wash. Try again.

If you look at your history you'd know that Much of the Southwest of America was always Spanish speaking. So it's not much of surprise that it's becoming that way again.

Illegal labor by illegal immigrants has always been an important and undeniable part of the economy. But you seem to use the term 'conquer' very loose and not very accurate manner.

19. slipthejab

Where you do guys get this stuff from. Shakes head. This is MAP... not Stormfront.

:rolleyes:

20. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

That's what I'm talkin' about! You mess with one of us you mess with all of US! (pun intended :D)
    If you don't mind slip, I think I may take the top sentence as my signature. :cool: Though I have to figure out how to keep it in context... out of context it sounds like you're saying "too deeply ingrained" like it's a fault. :thinking: