Could a computer create the perfect martial art style?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

In theory by using geometry or any other type mathematics it would need.

Plus extensive diagrams of the human body performing offensive moves and defensive moves of all the known hand, foot,elbow etc...strikes and reactions to these movements known as of now and from the history of the martial arts.

And throw in the pressure points of the body and vulnerable areas of the human for what would be most the effective offense or defensive movement or strike. Plus the submission holds, judo throws, grappling,and wrestling also.

Almost like a martial arts chess game except with the human body as the pieces and making the human body perform an offensive or defensive move. Where as the computer would calculate the best reaction from running through it's memory and determining the best way for the human to react.

I am talking unarmed and with just what nature has given us.Of course there are X factors but basically a normal body with normal functions. But the program could also take into consideration added needs for some sort of disability an individual may have. And what would be the best application they need to use with any limitation they may have.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Would you like to play a war game? :Alien:

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Wouldn't you prefer a game of Tic Tac Toe?

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

lol! I think I just made myself an old fart! :D

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z1Ab_Wr920"]YouTube - Deadliest Warrior:Viking vs. Samurai[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxIaiOSFh3c"]YouTube - deadliest warrior spartan vs Samari[/ame]

What's happens if Viking beats Spartan?

Does not compute :hammer:

6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Awesome! I'd forgotten about those shows where the geeky guy has ancient warriors fighting on his laptop. :hail:

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes, that's exactly the point of the post. :happy:

8. rivend

rivend Valued Member

You could give a person extreme qualities such as being able to kick extremely hard and how would the computer tell one to deal with this.But no hybrid human and animal creation would be realistic.
    example....A half man half donkey that had extreme kicking capabilities it should be kept realistic so no hybrids can be considered in this. IMHO

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You going to tell Van Zandt it's game over?

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Can a computer come up with a martial art? Depends if it wants to progress from being a server to a ultimate killing machine.

Well, until the battery runs out.

11. ShouBox

ShouBox Valued Member

Does "perfect" even exist to begin with?

12. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Yes. Build a model human (muscles, skelton) basic physics (momentum, gravity, solid stuff can't pass through other solid stuff) and then optimise battering the stupid out of another person.

How to determine the optimising is the tricky part, natural selection codes (IIRC) are really expensive computationally and determining success here is really hard. But hey, they've been used with great success to determine optimal running for an arbitrary animal (input weight, shape, skeleton and leg muscles) and this is not a completely unrelated problem.

Obviously the computer simulation is useless for real people because optimal fighting will turn out to rely upon perfect reactions to every attack and full awareness of your opponent's position and balance.

Click for dinosaur running: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18280-3d-modelling-recreates-dinosaur-running-.html
    http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2006/03/t-rex-olympic-sprinter.html

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

well....

Attached Files:

14. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

The perfect place to test such an idea would probably be Walt Disney World. :evil:

They have this huge Yeti creature that'd be perfect for the role...

[​IMG]

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

it's pie in the sky... because unless you program some sort of random simulation for hormonal response (eg. adrenalin dump) and the 'fighters' response to that you don't really have a full or accurate picture. You would also need to account for emotional state... a massive factor in fights.

There are many guys that are the complete package in training... or on the bag and then fall to pieces in a real fight. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the ratio of people who are brilliant at training and kicking bags and pads and those who are actually able to employ that in a real fight (street or sanctioned comp) is a very, very lopsided ratio.

Anywho... food for thought.

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Such a situation has already been considered...

[​IMG]

17. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

18. rivend

rivend Valued Member

The game of chess I think would be close to something that could be perfection for the winner if they were able to compute any and all moves by the opponent mathematically.

But a computer response recommendation would just be able to suggest something and the application of it would be up to the persons skill level.

And unless you have a chip implanted in your brain the second and third moves and so on that you would need apply in responce to their reactions would not be known to you.

19. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Boils down to programmer knowledge and a true AI to learn and grow independently. Oh and quantum computing as i doubt a traditional super computer could incorporate all of the variables and process them this millenia. For instance the physics models would need to be super acurate as would the physiological models and would need to have a virtual person that had all of the kinesthetic properties of a real person. In short, possible but pointless because i will just turn on my PDS* (personal defence shield) and my cloaked* dog will bite your ****.

*Also theoretically possible in same time frame.

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No. Since there is no such thing as a perfect martial art style, neither man or machine could possibly design one.