Cost of Living in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Terry Matthes, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I am pondering the idea of going on a work exchange to Ireland and wanted to hear from some of you who live there what a good wage is for a single person to live and be able to sight see. Some of the costs involved would also be appreciated.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

It may be worth looking at the Big Mac test. This is a yearly comparison of country and city prices of what a Big Mac is in each place. You can then compare it back to what they cost in Winnipeg and relate it to your own $$.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Worth noting that Nortern Ireland has British Pounds, and the Republic of Ireland uses Euro's too.

4. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Ugh oh , two currencies?

Does anyone know of any sites that actually compare cost of living or at least illustrate it for diffrent countries?

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Has the southern Irish "Punt" been replaced by the Euro? I though they existed side by side.

Uh oh - THREE currencies? :D

In general the cost of living in Ireland seems to be about 20% higher than mainland Uk from what I've been told by people who've been there.

6. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Dublin is very expensive, on the whole. Not sure about the rest of Ireland.

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

The Republic/ South doesn't use the Punt anymore its had the Euro for at least a year or two now. As for the North its in Sterling- or Pounds same as England, Scotland and the rest of the UK.

I live in Northern Ireland (but am studying at London) and I stayed in Canada over the summer so I have a pretty good idea of the difference in the costs of living. And unfortunately its not very cheerful news, things in Canada tend to be much cheaper even in large cities like Vancouver and Toronto. Its the exchange rate really which is what makes it so bad, but off course this is only if you where thinking about going to Northern Ireland if your going to the Republic your a bit better off as the Euro is obviously not as strong as the pound. Oh and as Ghost Frog mentioned Dublin is incredibly expensive to live in, accomodation tends to be in the realms of ridiculous pricing for anything near central I think I heard its the second most expensive city to live in next to London in the UK (I could be wrong though).

If your thinking about doing a work exchange do they not also organise cheap accomodation and so on?

8. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Depends on where you get a job really.

9. stump

stump Supersub

Terry, assuming you're going where the jobs are (Dublin!) renting can be a bit of a bitch. My memory may be a bit out of date but there seems to be more demand than supply for accomodation. If you go you're best bet is a paper called the Evening Herald....the renters bible if you will.....and stuff goes fast!!!

Depending on what type of job you're looking for salaries are not bad, but you'll find it Extremely expensive in comparison to Canada, and whatever money you bring over will not go as far thanks to the current exchange rate.

Of course on the up side if you go to Dublin you can train in some top notch places, John Kavanaghs BJJ/MMA school is well worth a look in - but more of that again!!!

What field are you looking to work in btw?

If you want to PM me any questiosn don;t be a stranger!

PS - Dublin ain't in the UK ;) - but you're damn right...it's expensive

Colin

10. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

It wouln't be finished my school yet, I would have my frist year of classes towards becoming an enviromental technologist.