Core strength question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wildlings, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Recently while I was swimming, I noticed that I always keep my back arched. Not that I care so much about the swimming form - actually, I've never learnt any proper swimming technique - but this makes me think that I could have a weak back. In fact, one of my greatest difficulties while doing push-ups is keeping a straight line, and I really feel the exercise in my back, much more than in the abs. Same for the plank.
    Also, I have no problems with hindu push -ups, because, well, keeping the back arched is what you have to do :D

Is my guess correct?

At the moment I'm doing supermen and planks for my back, togheter with abs exercises, two or three times a week.
    Shall I keep on doing this, modify something?
    Looking for advice!

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Planks are an ab exercise. Just look up pilates workouts. They'll sort out your core stability.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its just practice?

Poor pushup form is just that...poor form.

Normal stuff like walking with your back straight, shoulders back would help you. When I was younger, I used to be quite hunched over. That used to cause quite a bit of stress on my neck.

If you really want to exercise your back, then start researching upper back exercises, such as shrugs, upright rows and pullups.

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

kettlebell swings, kills yours abs first couple of times but its a fantastic high intensity exercise

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Look at it another way.

Your back might be stronger than the rest of your 'core'. Hence why it's arching considerably (your back should possess a natural arch anyway but too much of one causes problems).

Too much arching of the back is called Hyperlordosis (Google Image Search Here):

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hy...QXgqYHgAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

Do some Deep Abdominal exercises like Farmer Burn's style Breathing. And vacuum-style breathing/ deep core (transverse abdominals) work.

Planks and the like are okay. But IF you're really feeling them in your back this would lead me to feel your back is overpowering your deep stabilising muscles.

Just a feeling mind you. Also do you sit a lot or carry hefty backpacks etc? A shortening of your Hip Flexors may also make the situation worse.

Do some Hip Flexor stretches.

Hip Flexor Stretches Image search here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hi...gX_yoDIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

Good Luck

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It's quite common for girls to have more mobility in the lower back, which is why many pick up the Squat quite quickly. If you have access to a kettlebell some KB Swings might help, since you need to keep a neutral spine under load with movement at the hips shoulders and knees. Of a waiters walk with a Dumbbell. The unilateral load will challenge the core and require you to keep upright :)

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

am i right in thinking you do 100 kb swings straight in one set, 50 tops for me, on a good day, but i try to do 150 total

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

yes, lets see on my training notebook.....

April 29th, May 13th 2 sets of 50 KB Swings with 20kg (single arm)

May 20th 2 sets of 60 KB Swings with 20kg (single arm)

Jun 24th 4 sets of 10 KB Swings with 2 x 16kg

Jul 1st 1 set of 100 KB Swings with 16kg (single arm)

I alternated arms every 10 Swings for the single arm days

I have done other KB stuff, mostly Snatch, Clean & Press and Windmills

9. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Dead lifts, and other erector spinae work like back extensions may help.

10. Wildlings

Hey guys, I've checked my form and it seems that I have anterior pelvic tilt when doing these exercises. Now THAT was the problem!
    What can I do?

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hello,

When you stand up, do your toes point in or out, or do they point dead ahead of you? Do your shoulders roll forwards? Does your head sit above your shoulders, or is it slightly in front?

I have something similar to this and in my case (although not necessarily yours!), as SoKKlab suggests, it is to do with a shortening of the hip flexors (Psoas) and slight over thickening of the erector spinae (muscles either side of my lower/mid back) in order to keep my shoulders and head above my hips when they roll forward too much.

This kind of postural malfunction can lead to several problems in the long run including back and neck pain (imbalanced axial loading (downwards, due to gravity) with hyperlordosis in the lumbar and, potentially, hyperkyphosis in the thorax can lead to disc problems), shoulder pain (as they roll forwards, following the over curvature of the spine - upper traps become chronically lengthened), and knee or ankle problems (as the hips roll forwards, it can put a twisting force down your legs when you walk or run).

I don't want to scare you (and reading back that list does sound like a nightmare), and you have plenty of time to sort this out being a young un' and all, but it's sometimes good to know what to watch out for and to sort it out early on (if you can).

So what can you do?

If you have the opportunity, it could be beneficial to have a physiotherapist (or similar) assess your posture - this is very hard to do on your own (and I've tried looking at my own back).
    Alternatives to a traditional physio could be an Osteopath, someone who teaches the Alexander Technique, or someone who practices Structural Integration (also known as Rolfing).
    Whoever it is, make sure (if you can) that they are properly qualified and registered with the proper professional organisations for your country!
    Also, be a bit cautious about someone who tells you all your problems are to do with one specific area - the body is a balance of all its constituents (bones, joints, muscles, organs, facia, circulatory and so on) and although an imbalance in one area can be the initial cause of the problem, your body may have compensated in other areas, so correcting the initial problem may not be the optimal way of fixing the whole thing.

You could try joining a reputable Yoga class - the teacher should gradually help you improve both your static postures and your movements, give queues (instructions you can remember later) about what to think about when moving, and help with breathing.

You could also try the strengthening the 'counter' muscle groups (using exercises such as the ones SoKKlab suggests) which can help 'pull' you back into alignment. Hip flexor stretches are also useful, but it could be that this is just one area for improvement (see my questions above), and your general flexibility/joint alignment (these are not the same) needs some improving.

In terms of how to think about how to position yourself, you may have been told "shoulders back and down, chest out", but this can lead to over projection of the chest and over rotation of the shoulder blades towards the spine, so I prefer to think "long (back of the) neck, broad shoulders".
    I find this one leads to a more neutral spine curvature (remember, it's fine to have some curve in the spine, but not too much either way), and a more neutral shoulder blade/upper arm positioning (upper arms should be hanging by the side of your rib cage, not in front). I also try to combine this with making sure my feet are parallel (toes point forwards), and my hips are neutral - it all helps to add to the feeling of "tallness".

Again, it's always tricky to diagnose over the net, but hopefully these are some ideas that could help you.

For my own issues, I have taken a three pronged approach - yoga and stretching, added posterior chain weightlifting work (squat, dead lift, KB swings, rows, back extensions etc) to my normal workouts to make them more 'balanced' (front, back, sides, twist), and the Structural Integration 10 Series (I have had 4 sessions so far). It seems to be working nicely so far, as my seated and standing postures are improving, and my moving postures are more upright and neutral - I feel about an inch taller and about 5kg lighter! :D

Harry

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

13. Wildlings

Wow guys, I'm really amazed! Lots of information, thank you so much!

Anyway, I don't think the problem boils down to my posture. I've had lots of problems with it in the past, which means I've had a long friendship with physioterapists, doctors and the likes. I still have my posture assessed from time to time, and it's ok.

I'm seriously thinking that it could be lack of strength for certain exercises. I've tried push-ups with hands elevated and, oooh perfect form! :D

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I must start training harder :) Im doing the 150 total for high intensity after 30 minutes jogging on rebounder with 3kg weights in hand for extra resistance, and a 3 day split with dumbells

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Static Stretching:
    - Hip flexor, piriformis and PSOAS stretches
    - hamstring stretch
    - adductor/squat stretch

planks with glutes squeezed

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I heard stretching is actually bad for you, in an exercise situation, if your fit enough, which i dont consider myslef to be, i just pick the weight up and go for it, ive got no evidence at the moment to back this up maybe im a mutant

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

static stretching as a warm up to workouts isnt great.

but after training and through out the day it increases range of motion meaning you can get into positions better when lifting.
    it also helps the anterior situation

considering the amount of office tightness most people have, stretching out the PSOAS, hip flexors and hamstrings is a pretty good idea

18. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Make sure you have perfect form from the starting position. If your back is arched at the top it is more difficult to straighten it out one you are moving.

As for standing, make sure your feet are straight, and squeeze your glutes to set your pelvis in the right spot. Then squeeze your stomach to lock it all in place. Make sure that your shoulders are straight but don't push your chest out as this helps make your back arch. Basically you want your feet, pelvis, shoulders and head to all be in a straight line.