Core Exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

In your opinion what are the best core exerices?

2. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

In my oppinion-
    "Power Iron Coil" I still do it and it still pumps everytime.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I begin my core training with traditional exercises such as crunches, lunges,squat and dead lifts, leg presses, raises & lifts, and pull-ups & downs.

I find bridging also beneficial in development of strong core muscles performed on elbows and toes in a prone postion as well as lateral and supine.

I like to add a varity of core training like incorporating the stability ball or a medicine ball.... concentrating on stabilising the core on uneven surfaces, with diagonals and rotations.

4. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Kick Chick's list is pretty good. Training kicks (esp. roundhouse, sidekick & backkick) on a heavy bag tends to do a good job too.

Most exercises can be adapted to hit the core by doing them unilaterally. One armed barbell presses for example, or turkish get-ups if you really wanna go nuts on it.

The single exercise which addressed my personal weaknesses the most was definitely the conventional deadlift.

Overhead squats are also great.

5. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. KickChick what kind of exercises do you do on the ball? I just started doing bent press and I feel them in my core but not to an extreme are these good or should i substitue them for something else?

This is a Bent Press for those of you that don't know

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Bent+Press

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Any exercise that you can perform on a bench, floor, or standing up, you can do on a stability ball. The ball just gives you that unstable platform which requires constant abdominal work to keep your balance.

I've got these site bookmarked
    http://www.getfit.com.au/html/excercises/ball.html
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm

7. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Turkish get up
    Ab wheel

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

anyone got a link for the turkish get up? i

10. Combatant

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

great vid. cheers mate. i do them slightly differently :confused:

possibly because i havnt got a kettlebell, possibly because i didnt know the technique ;) . im not sure, im not a doctor.

12. Combatant

Thats the beauty of this movement and kettlebells in general, so long as you are using good biomechanics there are no wrongs. In the TGU you basicly have to get off the ground with a weight above your head, how you do it is ultimatly up to you. Just be sure to use the same techinique on both sides for reasons of balance. For this move the dumbell and kettlebell both feel pretty much the same.

13. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I've heard debate over the Kettlebell vs the Dumbbell. Is there a reason the KB is better than the DB for the TGU?

14. Combatant

No IMHO. I have used both and fell there is no extra benefit to using a KB for this exercise. Although the KB is a lot more fun for it as it gives you that old skool feel. :cool: :D

15. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Got it, it has bennies in the Kewl Factor. :D

16. redsandpalm

NNNOOOWWW! Barbell all the way!

17. Combatant

Turkish get ups with a barbell??? :eek: Now that is just a little too hardcore. :Alien: :p

18. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

check out the Crossfit exercise section

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Now that is how to do a TGU like a proper badass :eek:

19. redsandpalm

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

20. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

It could be worse...

I remember seeing a picture somewhere of someone doing a two handed TGU. A kettlebell in each hand. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, can imagine the coroners report.

:eek: