Copyright and the Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, Aug 20, 2005.

?

My school's material is

1. Copyrighted, note taking is not allowed.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Copyrighted, note taking is allowed.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Not Copyrighted, note taking is not allowed.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Not Copyrighted, note taking is allowed.

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Copyright? What does that mean to a martial artist?

Let me first put out a disclaimer. I am writing this for a friend of friend that is in no way connected with me.

Ok, now that that is over with.

My friend is a member of a martial arts forum and use to have a different screen name. The screen name mentioned the name of the karate he is taking such as ("name of the karate"_guy). Someone in the school organization noticed it and made a comment, which eventually got back to...my friend. He was told by the head instructor to "change it...the school’s name and material are copyrighted and can not be used without permission."

So the information at this school is copyrighted. What does that mean for a student? Note taking of any kind is strongly discouraged. During tournaments cameras are allowed but not video cameras.

If you pay for information isn’t it yours to do with as you like......yes/no? University, College, Tech School.

So the purpose of this poll for me is to see how many others have a "don’t write it down policy."

2. Sapper6

Sapper6 New Member

what's the name of the system? (if you don't mind telling us. if not, no problem) :)

i have my own personal views regarding stuff like that.

3. Nevada_MO_Guy

Hey Sapper,

Welcome To MAP.

I PM'ed you.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Seems a bit much not letting people take notes or use the name of the style on a forum. There is such a thing as fair use regarding intelectual property, eg schools can photocopy copyrighted books etc. I dont think anyone would be braking copyright laws unless they were making money from the clubs material.

You say its a Karate club, I dont see how you can copyright Karate. The Katas and techniques are all old and in no way unique(unless this style is very different to all other Karate). I imagine the head instuctor is more concerned with money than thier students learning.

Could you pm me the name of the style please, im curious now.

5. Nevada_MO_Guy

Hi Yossarian,

I PM'ed you.

6. OFP

OFP New Member

I don't know wmuch about the law but I think Copyright law in england states that all (original) material is automatically copyrighted but names cannot be copyrighted or have to be registered or something like that, I'm sure theres someone here who knows more.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Who has time for note taking? I say anything goes......

Using a name of a style is one thing, using the name of a school is another.

8. HulkUSMC

HulkUSMC New Member

Ok i'm Curious what style is it? I have heard of schools doing it though.

9. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

:confused:
    Although I'm sure my teacher wouldn't mind in the slightest if I took notes, what is the point of this?

Surely the point is you should commit your moves to memory :eek:

There doesn't need to be a time limit does there? Everyone learns at their own pace.

There are some things I pick up immediately, then again there are others that take a while to sink in, but when they do it 'clicks'!

I am utterly bewildered by the whole concept of copyright in the MA.

On the one hand people are setting up megadojo cash factories, conversely they do not expect their hundreds of students to impart any of this knowledge. They therefore try protect their art by copyright.

So, for instance it would not be unreasonable to suggest that most MAs have a 'punch'. Many of these punches are pretty similar if not the same.

So if someone copyrighted a type of punch would that prevent anyone else using it? Would other MA schools be taken to court because of said punch copyright infringement?

Could the concept of a punch be considered intellectual property?

As most MAs are influenced by others or have been in their developement, surely copyrighting moves is detrimental.

Or do we go down the 'this is our special stuff' route?

If that's the case don't teach those moves to hundreds of people! Someones bound to find out.

Copyrighting MAs indeed. Utter nonsence :rolleyes:

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I agree with you Gaja, I dont see how any particular technique could be copyrighted as im sure everything has been done before, a long time ago.

Forms on the other hand, there was another case involving a TSD org where they copyrighted thier forms(created by the founder). Im pretty sure(correct me if im wrong) that other orgs can still teach them but not sell intructional videos or books involving those forms, seems fair enough.

TBH this whole copyright business in confusing and wierd to me, do you that specific human genes have been coprighted? does this mean you are breaking the law by having a baby????