Cool olympic rings vid

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combatant, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D
    That's where I grew up at.

Not Olympic rings they show.

The rings that they show there weren't around when I was a kid - unless these are the rings farther north on the boardwalk (going towards Santa Monica)... ah sweet memories... my first dislocated shoulder. :D

There used to be a proper set of of gymnastics rings with swivels right off the boardwalk on the other side of the bleachers from where they have the outdoor weights.

There was always a regular group of people working out there. As there was a good sandy landing you could pull of some insane dismounts. The range of tricks on the double rings I find much more impressive than what's in the vid.

In that same sandbox there was also a speedbag that saw regular use by lots of ex cons and amatuer boxers. There was a manila rope that was a good upperbody workout and never saw as much traffic as people using the rings. Just climbing up the support framework for the rings was good fun... it was damn high so it was scary in addittion to a good workout. :D

The chalk for the rings used to be free from the parks dept. office that is right off the sand box. The Mexican vatos used to come down and play handball down in the courts right in that same area... handball being a popular prison sport. That would be the same area as the b-ball coursts in the movie American History X.

Anyone who grew up around there in the late '80s surely has listened to Suicidal Tendencies... the So. Cal punk band. Venice always had a nice mix of surf culture, Mexican gangs and the punk scene. Before the boardwalk became the tourist circus that it is... it used to be a rough area even in the day time.

Police in Venice had a reputation for being hard asses because of the nearby Oakwood that was brimming with automatic weapons. When I lived in Oakwood - it had the dubious honor of being the first city in So. Cal to have two officer slain when their car responded to a call... and then was lit up by umpteen hundred rounds of AK-47 fire.

Sad stuff back in those days... wonder if it's changed much. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Sweet video. Looks like fun huh? :D

EDIT:
    Do you know what it is? Cheers. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Nice. I thought most of the good stuff was done off the rings and on the bars etc.

Slip - got any more of your life story to tell us?!? :D

5. slipthejab

Nothing I won't get banned for. :D

6. Combatant

Yes of course mate, i was just getting the attention for people that are interested in ring training in general.

What a place to grow up, I would love to have stuff like that for free on my doorstep.

7. slipthejab

Yeah not many places had them... I can imagine the insurance issues. In lawsuit happy Cali - those must have been a lawsuit waiting to happen.

But in many ways it was rather self policing. As things like that should be.

8. Combatant

I think there should be more places with built in dip and chin bars and maybe some monkey bars and rings- without having to go into childrens parks at night. :D

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

I live right next to a field with a kid's play area in it. The swings are my pull up bar. :D

10. Ad McG

Seriously, I am jealous. I really wish there was a cool park like that near me :cry:

11. Another Muay Thai Guy

LOL, it's pretty small. I only have some swings, a slide, and a tyre swing at my disposal. And some benches. And there's a basketball ring at the other end. It's quite fun to see what you can adapt though. :)

12. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

looks, cool !

13. Combatant

Does anyone know what the soundtrack is, i've never heard it before?

14. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

The band is POD, and I would very much like to shoot them in the face :woo:

15. Maverick

Maverick New Member

POD - Alive

cool vid, so jealous of the equipment!

16. Combatant

Cheers guys, i'm going to keep an eye out for that one, good training tune. :D

17. Ad McG

Oh I've got that but I was referring to a nice set of parallel and uneven bars, and a few sets of rings :)

18. Another Muay Thai Guy

Hmmm, myabe it's time I got active and did a petition to the council for a bigger play-park. For the children, obviously. :rolleyes: :D