Cool name for course

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by incubus, Nov 11, 2008.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi to everyone, been away from MAP for a while,had some major projects in my life. Continued to teach martial arts (kung fu) and also self defence. Now am thinking of branching out on my own and starting a self defence course for beginners (as a start)

First thing, I have to think of is a cool name for the 'school'. I do not want to think of anything that instills violence or aggression.

Any ideas?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you're genuine about setting up a self defence course for beginners you have so much more to think about than the name that it just isn't true.

Will participants be wearing body armour?

What armour and why?

Will participants be practicing against an armoured opponent?

If not why not?

What are the most common habitual acts of violence for your country and have you checked the government stats?

Have you done this for different gender groups and age groups?

How and when will you introduce scenario based training?

Who will you use as the bad guys and are they sufficiently well trained?

Have you sorted video facilities for later analysis?

This is off the top of my slightly drunken head so is in no particular order.

If you want to teach Kung Fu, call it what you want.

If you want to teach a specific SD class you need to be very serious and very detailed in your research before you even think about teaching.

IMO of course :)

Mitch

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

of course, that I do that, I have been organising the course in the past years. Just asked this question since I was out of ideas about a name! That s all!