Cool 3 Part Documentary on TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by MarioBro, Jan 16, 2005.

1. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Here is a 3 part series on the history of TKD...I thought it was quite interesting.

http://www.freefree.co.kr/taekwon/cf_02_1.wmv
    http://www.freefree.co.kr/taekwon/cf_02_2.wmv
    http://www.freefree.co.kr/taekwon/cf_02_3.wmv

It is not just a history, but a documentary...it discusses how Ali took TKD to improve his fighting ability...yes, his punching ability for those who disbelieve (and he says so himself). Bruce Lee is also mentioned in these clips; 'Everyone thinks that Bruce learned his kicks from Kung-Fu, but he learned them from TaeKwonDo'.

I think any TKDers will like this one (as well as other forms..it is very interesting).

2. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Not hard to beleive as both Ali and Bruce Lee often trained with Jhoon Rhee from time to time.

Good post... interesting documentary.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

first section was good if you go for history. (I study history myself but not korean)

the second part seemed to me to be more of a smear campaign. "taekwondo is the best sport" and its continual reinforcement of "no other sport does this" got a bit grating.

the third (and parts of the second) was an ad campaign. they went around the world getting people to say how totally sweet taekwondo is and how it makes you a cool person.

overall I thought it was pretty poor, a little more info on the actual subject at hand and less time spent talking to soccer mums about their kids progress at school would be nice.

4. seikido

seikido New Member

I agree, the first part is worth watching, but the second and third became too salesmanlike for me.
    Thanks for posting the links!

5. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

damn it you saw through our plans

in the first one,theres a part where th narrator says
    'koreans are strong,courageous and merciful"
    haha it kinda sounds like hes talking to second graders about animals

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I would not call it a smear campaign at all. It obviously was made by those who are very proud of the Korean TKD heritage and are promoting TKD. To say that no other martial art has kicks like TKD is simply an honest statement not intended to belittle others, but simply to point out what it is about TKD kicking that makes it unique to the others. When they were showing the Wushu, they did not belittle it, they just pointed out the difference in the kicks. The only ones who could be offended are ones who practice other MAs since it comes across as saying TKD is the best MA (Well, it is! ;)).

Of course the main focus is to say how wonderful TKD is (well, it is! :)) as it is not a Karate history or Hapkido history...it is a TKD history/documentary/informational. It's obvious intent is to icrease interest in TKD, and nothing wrong with that either.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sorry, but when i watch a documentary i want to learn. it could have had maybe some history on the split between itf and wtf, the physics that go into some of those kicks (because man some of them were hella impressive) the way the sine wave works, how the actual techniques are executed and so on. that was an advert.

8. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

maybe if the link worked ;)

10. kepundengz2003

kepundengz2003 New Member

well, the site asks for password.

11. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Really? Odd, I am hosting it...anyone able to get it ok?

12. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Interesting documentary. I didnt agree with all that was said in the history part, imo Korean striking arts owe a lot more to Karate than Su Bahk and Tae Kyon. Su Bahk hasnt existed for a long time and Tae Kyon is very different from TKD, it is more like Capoerea(sp?) than anything.

And to say TKD is the only martial art to kick the way they do is wrong. Most Korean arts kick that way(knee first). I have seen this in Tang Soo Do, Hapkido and Kuk Sool Won. Japanese styles also use the knee first method, I would say the way Korean styles use the hips is what makes them different.

Mariobro I am downloading the second video at the moment, seems to be working fine. Thanks for the vids, got any more?

13. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

i'm grabbing it as i typ this down, it's going slow, but it's working... :cool:

14. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

15. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

17. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

How about now? I am hosting and it may be that it can only handle a few downloads at a time...maybe some download managers are clogging it up.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i'll give it a try now.

i downloaded this one but it won't play. i keep getting the message that there is an error.

19. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I think you need to right-click and save-as, then play it once you have the whole thing. Don't let Media Player open the link as it may not play right.

20. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I also just wanted to point out that I did post these clips in the TKD section, not in the Muay Thai, Karate or any other specific art. That was because I knew it would appeal more to TKD practitioners and that some in other arts would feel threatened by it once they realized how awesome TKD really is! :D