Context?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Nov 21, 2014.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Alright so most of us are fresh off this semi aggressive set of threads I recently posted concerning my martial arts system, me, more me and what the true meaning of mma is. Seems Kave and I went about six or seven rounds to my reckoning before I tapped out and said ok MMA means MMA. So context has been on my my mind today, what is so special about context...Idk but maybe we can figure it out. Lets take the phrase self defense training as our example, there are many forms selfdefense training comes in so what could we conclude is effective self defense training.
    Also before we get started, the recent post about the tragic death of the young man in the kick boxing match has made me wonder a few things, why on earth cant the state step in and regulate martial arts training and martial arts events, Im sure they could but fore some reason they dont.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Personal opinion, context is the difference between someone having a problem with you and someone having a problem with you that they intend to sort out immediately (usually through some form of aggression).

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused: No offense, but what are you trying to get at? What does a discussion of effective self defense training have to do with your bringing up MMA and context?

Respectfully, could you try to be clearer?

Why bring up this unrelated topic here? Why not bring it up on the thread already started where we are talking about it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  4. bodyshot

Im suggesting that if there were tighter regulations in/at all levels of martial arts traing that there wouldnt really be a context issue anymore, and it annoys the hell outta me personally lols that some words have so many meanings, ive noticed that even when talking about basic technique it is very difficult to get on the same page as another martial artist, specially if he is from a different school. So basically Im thinking clearing that up and regulateing it all would provide safer more effective training. Just a thought after pondering another senseless death in a ring and after haveing argued the MMA thing, which Im over now Btw. Like I said I can accept that MMA means sport full contact style martial arts, easy as that I guess.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

How does tight regulation fix anything? Why is it worth the effort?

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

So is your subject for discussion, "What is effective self defence training?"

If it's about regulating competitive bouts, why are you posting in the self defence forum?

Mitch

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's because some train in Japanese arts, some Korean, Chinese, etc.

It's not a problem of martial arts, it's just different languages.

Hou Tek - Chinese

Back Kick - English

The rest of it is concepts, surely, rather than context.

8. bodyshot

Something just tells me that if the martial arts keep gaining popularity that at some point there is going to be some regulations applied by the state, I dont know guys maybe Im wrong, who Knows.
    I think its a good topic because if there are somehow tight regulations on this than it could limit or prohibit certain aspects of our training which makes me wonder how effective will training be after that. Then again if ranking systems become mandated and regulated it puts everyone on the same page in a way...Idk I posted it because you guys are smarter than me, I was hopeing you could figure it all out and I could read it then spout it at martial arts class like Im smart and tough you know...LOls you guys are great.:eek:

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We have a hard enough time mandating carbon emission limits and gay marriage. I certainly hope that the government doesn't waste their time and ours by trying to mandate martial arts training. Competition sure. That (generally) happens already. But martial artists are, by and large, neither dangerous enough nor influential enough to be worth the government's time.

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

What makes you think that the martial arts are gaining in popularity? I doubt this is the case; at least any change would be relatively small. And I dare say most MA training is regulated by the state, concerning the kind of things you can and can't do in training. Many of the things we do would surely be illegal otherwise.

As for mandated ranking systems, why would they do that? The majority of what most MAists do is of almost no concern to anyone but themselves. The only area where some kind of unified ranking would be important would be in martial sports. Even then, you're going to have little common ground between different MAs: a judo black belt is going to be meaningless in a muay thai competition.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Dude, please tell me you aren't worried OR suggesting we are all going to have to register our hands as deadly weapons..........................

12. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I'm a capoeirista so I have to register my feet.

I'll get my coat on the way out. :)

13. holyheadjch

If American politicians keep getting stupider at the same rate, it's only a matter of time. My money is on Ted Cruz.

14. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

What is the fascination with goverment getting involved (regulating or codifying) martial arts training? Is there some "standard" you're looking to see enforced? I believe the great thing about martial arts is the vastness of styles, mentalities, and lack of boundaries (outside of organized/sanctioned competition). The idea of context is lost on me...

15. holyheadjch

I think he's complaining about how, for example, a round kick in tae kwon do and a round kick in Muay Thai are both called round kicks, but aren't the same kick. I think. He could equally be talking about the weather.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Regulation wouldn't be a bad thing as far as McDojos go.

17. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Problems with context usually occur when someone proposes a statement that is one of the following:-

1. So vague that its respondents are unable to provide necessarily relevant discussion.
    2. So poorly articulated that its readers are unable to comprehend it.
    3. So unstructured that it appears to have no particular agenda at its core.

It goes without saying: Context is everything. Which is why i find the original post to be a bit ironic. It seems that it's asking us to discuss the importance of context, at the same time as asking what constitutes "effective self defence training," at the same time as criticising the level of state intervention/regulation of combat sports competitions and training. Are these topics linked? What exactly are we discussing here? What the is the context of the original post?

18. bodyshot

Because I wonder what the best context for self defense actually is. Also I I would like to see the different opnions about regulating the martial arts, Im sure there is also a proper context for that as well. Which leads me to think about the young man who died...Sometimes peope are so insensitive...I hope I never hear of that again. Time for tea and flute music.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

And this is why I moved the thread to General Martial Arts Discussion. :Angel:

20. bodyshot

A little disappointed this didnt go over well, but its not the end of the world. Guess we can move on from this.