Contemplating bjj or wrestling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smaug97, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hi all
    So I've concluded that it might be better to shift away from muay thai and go for more grappling stuff, as the sparring gives me headaches.
    My school does wrestling and bjj (link to their site below).
    Crawley Martial Arts Academy
    Was wondering if anyone could offer any insights into the differences between the 2 on the competitive scene as i want to compete.
    I will also be asking at the club when i get back there.

axelb likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wrestling = win by points or pinfall. No submissions.

BJJ = Win by submission or points. No pinning.

I'd say do both if they are at the same club. You'll find most people who she wrestling will also be BJJ players too.

BohemianRapsody and Smaug97 like this.
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I vote for both.

completely different competetive formats but highly complimentary skillsets.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They teach sub wrestling there :) Best of both!

I suspect a CSW/No Gi style over a catch environment, but the coach seems to have a solid pedigree

If it either or I would suggest wrestling; but if you can do both by all means do so!

Smaug97 likes this.
  5. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hmmm- both seems awful tempting, I'll check out the classes, not sure if I'll be able to do muay thai on the same day as some of them but if worst comes to worst I'll just cut down the muay thai.
    Depending on how tonight goes (back training after being out) should be able to have a look/ ask this weekend.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Wrestling class is super hard when you start, nogi BJJ class is less strenuous, but still very hard, And Gi BJJ class is easier still, however in comp they're all super hard.

There's not a big wrestling comp scene in the UK, there's more nogi and Gi bjj comps.

Gi comps have more divisions usually, so it's a more consistent comp experience.

Also if your getting older, and you've got poor knees etc, Gi BJJ rules are far more forgiving, it's easier to pull guard. And their no twisting leg locks or knee bars till brown belt.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think I've done my fair share of punishing classes but absolutely nothing is more tiring than wrestling. I honestly think it's the most physically demanding of all the combat sports from an energy output perspective.

As someone who has spent the majority of their proper training rolling about on the floor and more recently striking I absolutely wish I had better offensive wrestling to bridge that gap.

axelb likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah wrestling is physically exhausting but so effective.

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Also if that school doesn't do BJJ (with Gi)
    Carlson Gracie BJJ is not far at Farnborough,
    Carlson Gracie Farnborough | Carlson Gracie UK

Wrestling is definitely the most physically demanding! Very hard to find it coached in the UK.

Vince Millett likes this.
  10. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

See your doctor to get cleared on the headaches first if you haven't already, strange things can happen with concussions. Check out the options locally and ask to try one.

Monkey_Magic and Langenschwert like this.
  11. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Went to see one a while back, concussion was healing nicely and got cleared for light excersize, martial arts was up to me once I felt I'd recovered enough.
    Had some headaches recently but that's been me grinding my teeth (can feel it when i grind my teeth).

TKDDragon likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Although the class is run by a free style wrestler its actually seems to be a submission wrestling class, so basically no GI bjj,

TKDDragon and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Nogi BJJ with a heavy dose of freestyle wrestling, sounds fantastic!

Giovanni, TKDDragon and Vince Millett like this.
  14. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

So I've been to about 3 classes of gi bjj now- i have to say I'm really enjoying it- learning a lot about ground work, and it's proving to be quite a workout.
    Also everything hurts- everything!

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Im a wrestler turned BJJer.

Had to re learn that falling on my back is OK as long as you know what to do. Wrestling is great for explosivity and scrambling. But obviously not great for finishing in BJJ.
    When I rocked up into BJJ, everyone knew to either just pull guard straight up, or keep scrambling as I would naturally give up my back.

BJJ is a lot slower pace and honestly. I prefer that now, with age and injuries creeping up on me. I found BJJ has upped my tactical thinking.
    (Even if it does mean I still end up going for a throw and hoping for the best )

Vince Millett, Dead_pool and axelb like this.