Considering other arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Training JKD is a blast, but for 2 days afterwards I have pain in my knees and hips. And I wear knee support during class

2. Xue Sheng

Feel I should throw this out there about JKD

I should be clear , this is not the same JKD as what I previously, briefly trained. This is a different school and different teacher and a different 1st generation JKD lineage (Jerry Poteet vs Dan Inosanto). I liked both schools and both approaches a lot and I like both teachers. However, my schedule did not allow me to return to my original school. I also have not forgotten the whole thinning retina issue I have and that getting hit in the head is not a good thing for that issue. That still makes me a bit nervous

My original school was very good and very much into hitting and that was how it was and it was ok with me, that is until I was told that getting hit in the head might not be such a good thing for the eye, So I stopped. However, I am an old MA dinosaur and I am not always the brightest bulb on the shelf when it comes to listening to the doctors so I thought…hey…. Go back and give it another try. But. Like I mentioned, the old school and my schedule did not match and I then, surprisingly, found another one so I went to check it out. Admittedly on day one I walked in wondering about my eye. What I found was that this class was not so much about hitting as it was drilling applications (striking, kicking, joint lock, takedown, etc.) with a partner and with learning the foot work. There is another class, on another day, where they beat each other up. Admittedly I am tempted to give that class a try, but so far I am really happy with what we are doing and is seems to be satisfying that old MA dinosaur side.

I have no delusions of grandure here, I am darn close to being a sexagenarian (no it does not mean what you think, get your mind out of the gutter :D) aka 60 years old. I do not see myself as a JKD guy, although I do enjoy it. I do not see a time when I will be teaching JKD, although a return to teaching is likely in my future (Taijiquan and possibly Xingyiquan). I enjoy JKD and it always has brought me right back into Xingyiquan, the big difference this time is it is also showing me a things about taijiquan, especially Sun style.

However, if I were younger, by 25 to 30 years...and single...I'd likely be spending a lot of time at both schools

Dan93 and Mitch like this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Having a problem training JKD at home, but not at the class itself... and I think I just figured out why.
    Like I said, I am not always the brightest bulb on the shelf, so this took a bit of analysis on my part as well as a total disregard for the obvious.

I train at the school for an hour and I train at home for 20 to 40 minutes and I leave class feeling great, but at home I don't walk right for a couple of days afterwards due to knee pain. I wear the same braces and same shoes when I work on the heavy bag using the JKD footwork, but at home I end up in pain.

Then the old, defective, light bulb went off in my head. I train at the school on a mat (padded floor) at home, I'm on concrete...... this getting old stuff can be a pain.

axelb likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

That will do it. I've trained on suspended-wooden floors and on carpet-covered concrete and the latter was killer, even when I was younger.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Well, it looks like my brief return to JKD is done. My knees just cannot take it. It has, as it usually does, got me training Xingyiquan again, however that too is not doing the knees any favors at the moment, however it does not seem to be the same as the JKD. The xingyi stuff only hurts when I am doing it and knee braces seem to help. The JKD stuff causes my knees to hurt for 2 days and I have to wear braces to walk without a limp.. All of this prompted a return to what little I know of Yiquan/Dachengquan and so far that is not causing me any issues. The only real issue is how to take training in Yiquan further. I only know of 2 teachers anywhere near me and they are both about 4 hours away.

On another note I am getting to do push hands once a week now and one of the people in that group is basically a Sanda guy that does taiji that also trains a lot of grappling. Quite the learning experience training with him.. as well as a straight up blast. Also a long time Chen guy in that group who is might darn good as well.

Looks like this old MA Dinosaur is just going to have to accept that he is a Chinese "Internal" whatever that really means) martial arts guy....and to be honest, I'm ok with that, just as long as I have good people to train with.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is their any physical rehab you could do on your knees?

7. Xue Sheng

Been through that, it helped, but I'm getting more arthritic as time goes on. Last time I was at the Doc for this his statement was, "stop running". And "your not ready for a knee replacement yet." Up to that point I did not even know I was a candidate for knee replacement.

I will say this, JKD dod push me beyond my comfort zone and that was great, it has gotten me to do more than I was

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Sorry to read about the knee issues :(

I have to say that always winds me up when a doctor said to stop a particular activity as a "solution", ok I'm fine with that as a temporary solution, but maybe a better thought long term solution to allow for continued activity.
    I guess they need to refer for that to a physiotherapist.

Xue Sheng likes this.