Conor Vs RDA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by -APEX-, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then you are wrong

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Big name fighters lose all the time.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Could you explain how exactly it would benefit RDA to throw the fight?

The whole "fix" thing in combat sports (apart from pro wrestling) is silly. It makes no sense.

McGregor gets $5 dollars per pay per view buy. If RDA beat him and they had a rematch, RDA would likely get that.

Lets assume a rematch would get at least a million buys... that is a $5million dollar purse MINIMUM for RDA. That would mean to take a dive, the UFC would have to pay RDA more than this in the original matchup to make it worth his while. Do you really think the UFC are going to throw $5 million plus to a fighter not to fight???

4. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

You said....."Could you explain how exactly it would benefit RDA to throw the fight?

Lots of money.

You said...."If RDA beat him and they had a rematch"

You are confused, what part of....... "It is only natural that Conor McGregor will win" did you not understand?

You said...."McGregor gets $5 dollars per pay per view buy."

How do you know this?

5. Hannibal

(Hannibal, stop being rude. There are ways of expressing your opinion without being so abrasive and confrontational. SP)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And you really aren't putting up a good rebuttal. How about saying why you think his opinion is "crap?"

I am not disagreeing that he hasn't made a very compelling case or presented any evidence to back up his theory.

But this rebuttal isn't any better.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  7. Hannibal

Accusing the biggest player in the sport of fixing fights on a live PPV does not need a rebuttal- burden of proof is always on the claimant so I need mount no case other than the utter stupidity of thinking they would fix this but not Ronda who was their big cash cow and mainstream success

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Whilst I agree with you wholeartedly. For arguments sake (devils advocate) I have a case. It's been done before in similar sports. Boxing at both the Olympics and the pro level. Also, you don't specifically *need* to pay off RDA. You could pay the judges, and the ref so that stand ups that may favour Conor. I mean theoretically to make Conor the biggest draw ever you could pay RDA 20 Mil. Sounds like a lot but a two weight champ could bring in so much more money than that.

Throwing fights has also happened in MMA. Most notably Pride and I'm fairly sure a few times in the (earlier) UFC.

Again, RDA is not gonna be paid off and it's not going to be a fix, I'm just giving a case just to exercise my weak argument skills which need to be improved :D

9. Hannibal

Pride was notoriously corrupt and early UFC were not big business...we are talking about a globally broadcast evenr- a fix isnt even plausible

10. Pretty In Pink

11. DARKREALITY

You said....."so I need mount no case other than the utter stupidity of thinking they would fix this but not Ronda who was their big cash cow and mainstream success.

How do you know that the Ronda Rousey vs holm fight wasn't fixed?

12. Pretty In Pink

There is more money in Ronda being an undefeated superstar. Now I genuinely think you are trolling.

13. DARKREALITY

The betting odds were good for a fixed fight. So she wins the rematch and it is back to business as usual. She said she was taking time off after UFC 193, so it all works in quite nicely doesn't it.:)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And how do you know it was?

Truth is none of us know.

Those who understand fighting though would tell you Ronda had the wrong tactics, the wrong people in her corner and the wrong fight camp.

15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hahaha! Did you watch the fight Darkreality?

16. aaradia

Most people don't consider it appropriate to go around accusing people of illegal or unethical behavior without any evidence.

Anyone can be accused of anything with the response "how do you know they didn't.........." An accusation alone is not evidence.

What evidence do you have? I am guessing none at all. Now would be the time to present evidence if you have any.

Without evidence, it is just slander......and fighter bashing.

17. DARKREALITY

You said......"What evidence do you have? I am guessing none at all. Now would be the time to present evidence if you have any."

I never said that it was fixed, I am simply saying that you have to have an open mind about these things.

18. aaradia

Why? Do you run around thinking the worst about everyone with no evidence?

I assume that people have integrity and honesty until they give me reason not to. I don't assume people engage in illegal/ dishonest/ unethical practices just to "have an open mind"

Where I live (I didn't notice where you live) we have this idea of presumption of innocence until proven guilty - not the other way around.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's a waste of energy.

There is no evidence.

Poor fight from Rousey, poor camp, poor corner, better tactics from Holm. That's it.

As a discussion forum we get more from discussing the fight, the fighters, how they won, why they lost and the dedication shown by pro fighters.

Feel free to chip in.

20. DARKREALITY

You said....."And how do you know it was?"

Did I say it was......no I did not.

You said....."Truth is none of us know."

Yes this is true.