Connecting Mind and body

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Can some1 please explain to me exactly what this means and not just saying it means being able to cennect your mind and body..lol some1 please explain to me how i would achieve this and what it means to you

2. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Hapkido Student,

You have just asked the million dollar question. And by that I mean it is probably the hardest to answer. "mind and Body" or Ki is what every Hapkido practitioner searches to acheive. For me I think it is based alot on repitition. Meaning that with each technique there are the 3 major things that have to be accomplished. Balance, Power, and speed. Balance is always first, then power, and speed will come with time. KI is also in another way is acheived by having a personal relationship with that paticular technique. Meaning that when you first start you just see it as a technique. But later with lots, and lots of practice it becomes you. It's not just a technique anymore. When all these things click, you have acheived Ki for that technique. Then comes acheiving that with all the techniques which takes time. So there is no way of forcing, or making it happen. It will come to you on it's own. Just train hard, and one day the light bulb will come on. Atleast that's the way it happened for me. I know this is not a very direct answer, but you have to understand that a direct answer regarding Ki, does not exist. It's just what it is. Hope that helps.

3. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I've recently come to a slightly different understanding of this due largely to my study of xingyiquan. The name, xingyi is composed of two words xing, meaning form and yi meaning intent. Your intent drives your form(technique). This concept is applicable to every martial art.

In hapkido this is, in essence, means using the right techique for the situation based on what you want to accomplish. Your mind is not on the technique, but rather on your intent (knock him out, take him down, f_ck him up ;), etc.). Your body then responds both to your attacker and also to your will or intent.

When you connect mind and body, you focus your intention and your body does it what it needs to do. By looking at it this way, I've found that my free form techniques are working much more naturally, easily and that I've been much more successful in changing and adapting my techniques to my partner and overwhleming them.

Of course, in order to make this happen using the techniques of your chosen art you need to spend a whole lot of time on the xing part of it (techniques).

That's my take on it at least.

4. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I think there are lots of levels to this but how about this for openers. Do you ride a push bike? If you're riding a bike and there's a turn in the road ahead what happens?

Do you think, "there's a turn in the road ahead. In order not to crash I need to move my left hand towards me and my right hand away from me. I then need to lean slightly over to one side. Perhaps I'm going too fast, I should squeeze this brake lever to slow me down to 15 mile per hour then I'll be ok"?

I doubt it. You probably don't even register the turn consciously. You just do it. The thought and the action is the same thing.

5. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

hmm

Thanks everyone everything you all have said i will take into concideration thanks everyone i really appreciate it