Confusing kenpo questions

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by beholder, May 22, 2012.

1. beholder

beholder New Member

I can't figure these out, what would you say?

1. What is the meaning of the Kenpo Salutation?

2. Define compounding, and give an example.

3. List 5 things that you can do with a Kenpo Self Defense Technique that separates it from all other Martial Arts

Thank You:evil:

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Can you describe/show picture/video of the particular kenpo salutation you are speaking of.

There are many different ways that schools conduct their salutation. If you are specific enough, there is a chance I have been taught what techniques can come from the salutation.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

If the context is compounded attacks, I can give an answer. The premise is fluidity in attacking. There are three types of attacking in this scale.

1. linear or single attacks, such as a right cross
    2. combination attacks, such as jab and then right cross
    3. compounded attacks, such as feint and right cross

What is the difference? With a single linear attack, there is a break between attacks or as some put it, a big transition between attacks where you can be countered.

With a combination attack, there is a smaller transition between attacks and the goal is to "overwhelm" the opponent so that they cannot react to all the attacks and counter you.

With compound attack, there is almost no transition between attacks that the opponent can perceive and thus almost no chance for it to be countered (although you can still miss or have ineffective results due to other reasons such as wrong target or lack of power).

Example of combination attack: kidney punch opponent and as this causes them to arc their back, ridge hand strike them in the throat.

Example of compound attack: ridge hand strike to the throat (almost like a feint because opponent sees it coming), but as you do this, punch the kidney a fraction of a second before the throat is hit. Opponent if fixated on evading the ridge hand but the kidney punch comes right then from blindside and this allows the ridge hand to strike across the open throat.

One of the easiest examples of compound attacking is done in boxing. A boxer throws a right hook and as the right hook might be a glancing blow, the boxer strikes with his right elbow off of the hook motion. So right hook turns into right elbow strike. You see the fluidity of the attack in that there is almost no transition between attacks... this makes it a compounded attack.

Compounded attack in Judo example... as you shoulder throw opponent, you land on top, as you land on top you place your elbow into their liver or ribs. The elbow to liver shot has no transition between it and the throw as they both are part of the same motion.

Compounded attacking is considered to be the most advanced form of attacking because it is the hardest to counter. Linear attacks, or single attacks, are the easiest to counter.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Okay, so if you aren't looking for techniques represented by the salutation but something more related to the message/meaning of the movements. Here is a video I found for Ed Parker Kenpo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlEzft4ztiw"]CASA DE KENPO - AMERICAN KENPO SALUTATION - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe this is what you are looking for. Best to ask your instructor about this stuff though.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I doubt you'll find even 1 thing.
    All martial arts are pretty well linked. Only so many ways you can hit someone or rag their joints about.

6. thomasvince

thomasvince New Member

Challenge or respect...

The meaning of the Kenpo salutation I come to you with only Karate; "empty hands." I Have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself,
    my principles or my honor. Should it be a matter of
    life or death, right or wrong, then here are my weapons,
    Karate; "empty hands."

This Kenpo Creed is designed to enlighten us when to use martial arts and the amount of force one should put forth an a giving situation.

We cover our treasure and this is the sign of the hand and the closed fist!
    It also reprisents "hidden knowledge". THis salutation can be a sign of respect or in ancient times a direct challenge depending on whether you stepped forward or back within the salutation.
    Thomas Vince

7. thomasvince

thomasvince New Member

Compounding

Compounding: Is the insertion of additional moves that are within the flow of a technique or selected action. More often than not these inserted moves are simultaneously executed along with base moves of a techniques sequence. Compounding can occur during the ideal phase or the what if? phase of training and application. It can be as simpleas adding a slice or thrust to the eyes as an extension of the weapon or it could be found in your stance as weapon.

8. thomasvince

thomasvince New Member

salutation

wado describes the salutation accurately!