conditioning for kick boxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by M@Robson, Jul 25, 2006.

1. M@Robson

M@Robson New Member

i have been going to the gym and strength training for almost 5 years, of which i have been cycling from Bulking, to cutting up, to strength. of the cycle i spend more time on cutting up as i dint want to be too bulky.

my question is what is the "best" (used lightly) training for kick boxing, as you obviously don't want to be too bulky yet i would have said you would be best to have some mass and body fat above say 10% so you have some "padding"

i train at the gym 3 times a week, i train for kick boxing once a week and play football once a week. so gym is my resistance and weight training the football is cardio and kick boxing is cardio and obviously techniques. the problem i have is, do i want to work on fast twitch muscle fibers or slow twitch? as lifting weight is a slower process than doing a round. the problem i currently have is speed of reps eg press ups as when you go too fast you loose technique and lend up "bouncing"

sorry for the long thread but hopefully it made some sense and someone will be able to help me out or at least point me in the right direction.

2. hkj

hkj Valued Member

hmm

You say "obviously you dont want to be too bulky"
    why?
    This is Alain Ngalani
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He is a world champion... but looks kinda bulky to me :p
    If you mean much bulkier than that, then i agree that's bad... but obviously you can get pretty bulky before it starts to inhibit your performance. It is just important to keep up your cardiovascular fitness.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

You might want to consider switching up your weights routine if you're worried about getting "too bulky" from strength training. Swing by MAP's excellent Health & Fitness forum and you'll find lots of threads on strength training geared towards martial arts. Sharkey's Strength Training for Fighters thread will be an excellent place to start. If you're particularly focused on speed, have a look at some plyometric workouts or Pavel Tsatsouline's "Fast & Loose" DVD which has some great techniques to help you speed up. I've been working it into my workouts recently and I'm getting some good results :)

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D

You saw his fight for his 'world championship' didn't you? This supposed title was earned when he was under Pierre Ingrassia from One Martial Gym - back then known as Fightin' Fit.

5. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

6. kickgirl

kickgirl New Member

Well when I trained with Sakasem we ran, jumped rope, did hundreds of crunches, did "walk knees" for god knows how long, way too many push ups, and last but not least ...those oh so excruciating isometrics :) Maytee suggested that everybody should run miles literally on their toes. He did this to amass the largest calf muscles I have ever seen in comparison to his relatively small stature.

7. hkj

hkj Valued Member

skipping aka jump rope is very good for your conditioning... they use it in most of the better clubs ive been to.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006