Concussions

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Ero-Sennin, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Taking time off?! I thought that was what I'm doing right now :eek:

The thought has crossed my mind a few times, depending on how I'm feeling at any given moment during the day. The better and better I get (through the week) the more and more I want to get back into things, especially boxing. No way I want to live with competing one time and being knocked out :mad:. This of course all depends on what the neurologist says who I'll speak to at some point this year, but I'm just taking it day by day right now (been pretty much bed ridden since Sat., but starting to move about more as the week plays on).

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've had concussion a couple of times. Although I felt weird for a short time, there were no long-term effects (apart from a tendancy to post gibberish on the internet, and to expose myself in bus queues when there's a full moon.)

Hope you get better soon. If it's choice between boxing and health then health wins unanimously - no split decisions. But I really hope that that isn't a choice that you have to make.

3. Ero-Sennin

So I racked up what's going to be another huge ER visit bill today. Hopefully the VA covers it, if not . . . goodbye savings.

What did it take to go back to the ER? I went out to get some gas for the car and some money for laundry. Never has mundane activity been such a difficult adventure of will power. I ended up be-ridden for a day unable to move without feeling like I was on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic during the perfect storm and my wife was worried enough about me to call an ambulance today. We asked the ambulance to take me to a VA hospital and they took me to a military hospital to which the neurologist came in and said, "You realize we don't take care of veterans here right? Just active duty military." I knew this, told this to the EMT drivers but what could I do?

I got a full psych evaluation because I was very emotional and crying when they took me in. They wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kill myself due to PTSD issues and me being emotional. Made me laugh a little. I told the psych if I had to feel like I do now the rest of my life I probably would be thinking about killing myself, but since it's supposed to go away with rest that I think I'll be fine.

They spent more time with me then the last ER visit I had and I got basically the same thing, only that I have a TBI from a severe concussion and I probably shouldn't do much of anything at all for about 4 weeks before I try to get back into things. This means I have to cancel my current classes at my university which causes complications with the GI Bill I'm using and monthly income that comes from using the GI Bill. So not only will I not be getting paid anything, I'll fall behind with school and will be making no money while paying off some hefty bills (bills still to be determined).

This is a pretty sucky situation. If anyone comes across this thread because they have a concussion and are feeling ill then take it from me, you're way better off just laying in bed with your computer shut off from the world until your symptoms disappear. You can't "push through" it to "just go get some gas and some money for laundry." It'll just catapult you right back to how you were doing from day 1. On top of that, you may be screened for possibly being suicidal and the EMT's may ask your wife if you have a firearm when they come to get you because you're locked away in a dark room by yourself :confused:

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Yep. You can't walk it off :)

And at this point you have to consider: given the impact this has on your life, and the likelihood that another concussion can have even worse effects and may have lifelong aftereffects that may affect your income, your education and your health, is it worth it?

5. Ero-Sennin

Could you at least let me heal up first :mad:

:)cry:)

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Just follow the doc's orders, my friend had the same problem, except it wasn't a punch, it was a truck hitting her boyfriend's car with them in it. She just stayed off the soccer field (she was var soccer) for the rest of the season and rested up. Follow the doc's orders, what they say is USUALLY meant to fix you up, especially with a common injury such as a concussion, they'll know what to do and they'll probably be right because of the amount of concussions they see.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through right now, and I hope you get better soon.

Take care of yourself mate.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What he said^!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man I cannot imagine having to check my bank balance before going to the hospital with concussion to see if i could afford it.
    Seriously...all the best mate. I hope things go well. You are a great MAP poster. :)

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

which is why large scale unsupervised weight cutting is dangerous.

11. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Take care of yourself, and hope you get better soon. It's got to be really rough, but just take it a easy as you can. Good luck to you.

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Bright side:

Could just be an ear infection?

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If it turns out to be just an ear infection, then you can consider my heartfelt best wishes to be officially withdrawn, Sparkle! ;)

But seriosuly, if it did turn out to be something less serious then I'd be delighted to hear it.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ero,

I'm really sorry to hear this. But I'm going to leap in with the advice:

1) Keep every scrap of documentation on this. Compile it and take it to MC. You're past the date for getting a refund on the classes you drop. But with sufficient documentation on a medical problem, you can probably get the business office to give you a refund anyway. You've certainly got cause. And I think it'll ease some of the financial pressure. I know that process is a little different because it's being paid for by the GI Bill. But I imagine that the Veteran's Advisor at MC has a similar mechanism for cases like yours. Make sure you talk to them.

2) If I get a chance, I'll wander downstairs and talk to our VA advisor. See what she has to say on the matter.

3) If you do need to take a hiatus from boxing, and you still want to train in something, let me know. We can do some FMA. Perhaps we can rope your neighbor Sunfish in as well.

15. Guitar Nado

I'd be up for that. Let me know, and if my wife doesn't kill me for being out doing more MA stuff, it should be cool..:)

16. Ero-Sennin

Hopefully it isn't too much of a problem with MC. We do have all the paper work and we're planning on starting whatever process is needed tomorrow. They HAVE to have a procedure for circumstances like this? The difficult part is probably going to be the GI Bill stuff. I'm betting I'll have to eat the loss with having used my GI Bill for the course, but if I still get paid for the course it won't be a big deal. One course at MC isn't really a back breaker financially.

If you do find out anything else I'm all ears and really appreciate it! I can't wait to tell my wife I'll be taking a break from boxing and am going to start trying to avoid being hit by sticks :D (that's how I'll say it, anyways)

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hear ya. My wife normally has to badger me to LEAVE the house. But, with a newborn around, it might be a little while. But if people are willing to meet near my place...

18. Ero-Sennin

Oh lord . . . . I have to get on 495 south bound to VA :eek:

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the DC Metro Area:

Traumatic brain injury > traffic

;)

20. Guitar Nado

I tell my wife I am doing Tai Chi with hippies and old ladies.

There is some element of truth to this on occasion.