"Computer Butt"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BackFistMonkey, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

When sitting for more than six hours I get this HORRIBLE cramp below the Gluteus maximus, on the back of the thigh but towards the inside .It will last for more than a day and the muscle tension is so great that I cant reach my ankles , bending at the waist , sometimes not even that far . After a day or two of constant stretching I will return to my normal range of motion and will be able to lay my hands flat on the floor with out pain .
    This tends to happen mainly on the right side of my body and with a VERY specific muscle or muscle group .

Does this or anything similiar happen to my fellow MAP'ers ? Is there a way to correct this ? I am sure its my chair cutting off blood flow or pinching a nerve . Maybe a new chair will make things more tolerable .

BackFistMonkey

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think your problem lies in the first sentence of the post...

You really shouldn't be sitting at the PC for six hours straight. Health and Saftey Guidelines say you should sit for 2 hours max, before having a 15 minute break.

Try getting up every hour or two and having a walk about and/or a stretch for 10-15 max.

A new chair may help, or place a cushion under your bum and lower back. How exactly do you sit in the chair at the moment... is your back straight, legs streched out..?

3. Henrietta_H

Henrietta_H New Member

You sit on your ass in front of the computer for more than six hours at a time?!?! :eek:

One answer - get up and move around more! Even if you are at work, you should be having a break at a minimum of every two hours. (Corrected - and with a 20 min break I believe?)

It most likely is due to your posture while sitting for so long, as a result of the seat, seat height, position in front of your desk etc.

If this is happening at work, your employer has a duty to provide you with suitable seating..

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Key points:

1) Take a break at least every forty minutes. Stand up and do some knee bends, loosen off your shoulders, etc.
    2) Make sure that you're not leaning to one side to use a phone, mouse or keyboard.
    3) Make sure your feet are touching the floor, not hanging loose.
    4) Make sure your chair is supporting your back properly.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

And you thought we'd be nice to you! :D There could be a couple of problems. You are probably compressing either the femoral nerve that goes from your butt down your legs or your compressing the blood vessels that serve that area of your body. I'd go with the blood vessels myself. Take a break from MAP, we KNOW you'd never be surfing elsewhere right? About every 40-45 minutes and gives those muscles a break. Stretch out, deep breath, go get a drink, whatever... But don't sit for that long.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Why sit when you can lie down?

PL