Compliant training within progressive resistance methods

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rebel Wado, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm going to try to describe some forms of progressive resistance training I've used in martial arts. Feel free to comment or add on to the list.

1) One of the first methods of resistance is "static-position based". It goes something like, your training partner applies a technique to you, at various points in the technique application you are allowed to resist in certain ways. For example, my training partner is on top of me and rolls me on my side, he then attempts to place an arm bar submission on me. I might be allowed to grab my arm with my other hand and resist the arm bar attempt. My training partner then works various counters to my counter to make me lose my grip and straighten my arm. So I am resisting, but only from a certain point and only resisting in a certain manner. In all other aspects, I am considered compliant... I am not trying to bite him or pull out a knife or kick him, etc.

In Aikido, we used a "static-position based" resistance after a pin was applied. When brought to the ground and pin was applied, we were taught to try to get out of the pin. Since we did not do this until after the pin was applied, it was very difficult to escape but if we could then that helped the training partner to learn the shortcoming of their pins.

The resistance was progressive in that, you started out at a level of resistance and then increased it to challenge your training partner and help them learn.

2) Another form of resistance is "timing-based" resistance. In this method we would simple go along with a technique and apply a counter when we felt a hole in the technique. So we were compliant to the point of allowing a technique to be attempted, but we countered at any transition or hole in our training partner's technique.

Generally, counters can be simulated by exposing "openings". So in this method of training, I might slap my training partner in the side of the head or in the lower back with a free hand. For example, I allow my partner to attempt a technique, during the technique, if I can, I slap my partner in the side of the head while the technique is being performed on me.

The progressive resistance is handled mainly in two ways. The first is how hard I slap. I can start off with light slaps and progress to harder slaps. We also can start really slowly and increase in speed as we progress.

3) A third form of resistance is "sparring-like" resistance. Probably the most useful when holding pads and such, this form is at the heart of "alive training". Basically in a nutshell, you start off very compliant and work your way up to simulated sparring. So I might start off holding pads for my partner to strike, then move with the pads so the partner has to adjust for range, then as they strike, I might kick or slap them back with a free pad.

It is like sparring so the progressive resistance is how hard I go with them as they are working the pads. Alternatively, if grappling, you can start off more compliant and progress your way up to full resistance during rolling.

4) A forth form of resistance is "impact-based" resistance. This is perhaps the most compliant (for safety) type of resistance training. I will list with protective gear and without protective gear options.

Without protective gear, the training partner is given a range of allowed techniques. He or she attacks using the technique(s). You counter and apply your techniques. At this point, this appears to be 100% compliant and static training. The difference is in the application of the techniques that make it a form of resistance training. You must have sufficient power and speed to force your training partner to react to your technique. You must also have the control to not do serious or permanent damage to your training partner. They must be able to protect themselves and take the hits too. At the very start this type of training can be "if you don't get out of the way or block, you will be hit" and from there progress to "you must stun or unbalance on contact". In other words, your training partner must be convinced that what you do would really work on them in real world. Bottom line is you must make contact, minimum is to stun, maximum is short of permanent damage... progressively work your way up to hitting harder. Also learn how hard you can hit and when for safety and for realism.

With protective gear, this type of training is the same but the training partner with protective gear can attack with more frequency, such as continuous punches to your body and head. You can pound them back a lot more too because of the protective gear. The progressive resistance is in how hard you hit each other and how fast you go. Many RBSD groups utilize this type of training as part of scenario-based training to give students the experience with hitting under stress.

----
    Just these four for now. Comments welcome.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You seem to mix "testing" and "developing" together. I would separate "testing" from "developing". In "testing", you try not to give your opponent any opportunity. In "developing", you try to give him opportunity depend on whether he wants to develop sole, 2 moves combo, 3 moves combo, ...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

testing and developing border each other.

given infinite time and energy, we could spar for 2000 years and come up with a fully codified, legitimate set of techniques similar to common MMA tactics.

you learn in sparring as well as test.its why BJJ classes run drills from the guard or why thai classes do clinch drills.

i think rebel has presented a very intelligent and rounded model of compliant training within progressive resistance methods.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Ater re-read your post, I agree with you on this. Even you have use the word "sparring", you are still talking about "skill development". Your approach is exactly the same as we try to develop combo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XRtBAOaps"]sc5 - YouTube[/ame]

Old Chinese saying said, "If I can't fight you, at least I can run away from you".

Besides your "resistence" and "counter", I would like to add "escape" as another option. IMO, "escape" is against your opponent's will which can be considered as another kind of resistence.

Your opponent will escape out of your 1st attack by moving back. You then have to advance and attack him with the same move, or with a different move.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I like that leg hook in the video :lowblow:

Escape is one of those options that can reverse the roles between training partners because the person that successfully escapes could then counter and take the initiative... thus attacker becomes defender and defender becomes attacker.

In submission grappling, IME, escapes are treated differently than reversals. An escape means that the opponent has improved their position, thereby neutralizing your current attack. A reversal (or counter) puts the attacker on the defense and the defender becomes the attacker. Someone could first escape and then pull a reversal or counter technique. Therefore, if you are going to allow an escape, as the attacker, you do so in a way that makes the escape predictable and not allow it to become a reversal. In other words, you block escape routes so that you can predict the direction in which an escape goes, if the escape is then successful, instead of a reversal, the opponent has just moved into where you predicted they will move... like a game of chess you narrow down the possible moves of the opponent. I might go for the choke first, as the opponent escapes out of the choke, that might set up the next technique or position for attack in a predictable manner for me because I'm already a few moves ahead of the opponent.

With stand up fighting, it is harder to predict the direction of escape; however, it is fairly common for an aggressor to circle step and exert pressure to either force the opponent to attempt a counter attack or back them into a corner.

So I would add escape to resistance training, but I think the real lesson is forcing the opponent to escape in a predictable manner. This could be especially useful in multiple attacker scenarios, where you could cause the opponent to escape right into the grasp of one of your buddies.

As for me personally, against a runner, I train level changes, such as drop straight down and shoot in. It is a bit of psychology involved in closing the gap and sticking to runners. The drop straight down is not taken instinctively as an attack and can cause the opponent's mind to hesitate for a moment, even cause them to stop in place.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you attack your opponent's right leg, if he pulls that leg back, you can attack his left leg. You have to plan in advance. Otherwise the distance may be too far for you to reach to his left leg.