Competed in another Interclub

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Unreal Combat, Apr 28, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'll have to bone up on the different styles of KB. Can't say I'd know American from Dutch at this point if I saw it.

I'd of thought that western boxing rather than kickboxing would have been more of a problem in "unlearning".

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

We did lots of Boxing aswell as Kickboxing. So in reality you could consider me as trying to unlearn both while trying not to forget what I learnt previously, if that makes sense. The instructor at my last place boxed for 20 years before doing Kickboxing. So that had a big influence on the style he taught. The movement and kicking is generally different because in Kickboxing you don't need to worry about low kicks or throws (apart from K1 rules, but I didn't do much of that in my time there), etc. I have to stay light on my front foot which affects movement during a jab for example as you have to be careful with long jabs (which I like) of leaving your weight on the front leg and also leaving the leg exposed, as an example.

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Your doing great unreal keep it going:)

4. Unreal Combat

Thank you my friend. :)

5. belltoller

It does.

6. Unreal Combat

These videos are around a year old now but should give you an idea of the style of Kickboxing I used to do before. At this gym I was at blue belt level though had only officially done my green belt via WAKO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrfO6gulc5o]Kickboxing[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ9qRM_Vqno]Kickboxing[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmHhg0DcBE]Kickboxing[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETTcZZG-WA]Boxing[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. belltoller

How far along were you when you did the boxing vid(s)? You had good defense - kept your hands up.

That bloke - the thin, tall one with dark trunks and shirt loved telegraphing, didn't he? lol. Unusual way of...what? loading up with both hands?

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Finally got a chance to look at the videos. Polish guy was a little keen, I trained with a number of Polish guys in my old gym and they all seemed to have the same attitude to sparring/fighting and had two gears stop and fifth.

You handled it well and you were well composed.. Good luck in your forthcoming fight mate!

Cheers

Dan

9. Unreal Combat

I had been training about a year. That video was taken and published last July.

That lad was god awful to train with at times. He had no control ever, rarely listened, and was always hyper aggressive when sparring. We used to just give as good as he did to the point where he nearly got knocked out a few times but he never learned, lol. He nearly got kicked out of the gym once but he was one of those lads that just wasn't quite right in the head, although to be fair he did eventually start to get to grips with it all towards the time I left. Tell you what though, despite the fact he always loaded, he just kept going and going. He was like a Duracell bunny, lol. We always said that if he had any skill he would have been seriously dangerous in the ring as skill less he was still a handful.

Thank you Dan. :)

10. belltoller

a-har! I had too much fun reading this! ^ LOL, I thought something up with him. Maybe as one of my kids has ADHD and he reminds me of that...don't know.

Ya, and you can't be too quick to take the mickey out of him because I've the notion he can reach out and greet you with one of those kangaroo-punches-on-a-spring of his. I imagine they accumulate on a scale from irritation to hurt. Something about those bony long-reachers.

Funny, I'm trying to defend myself from a bad hiding I'm getting on another thread regarding mentioning that one can have people like this as partners. I mean you do get them in your gym - these personalities and its not always caught early by an instructor and/or dealt with properly at every single instance.

I imagine he's not the only one you've had where control was an issue, I'll wager.

I've only had experience at one club, but...is it really that unusual to have less than ideal sparring partners/conditions?? I'd think they are part of the landscape.

Add variety to the show, anyroads.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  11. Unreal Combat

You do get the odd one every now and then who just ain't right in the head, lol. At the old gym it was an old school fighters gym, so it had the types of people there who could handle it. I think that's why people kind of just got on wit it really. He only ever sparred or trained with people who could handle him. Kept him out of other trouble he might otherwise get in I guess as he wasn't exactly from the nicest of areas.