Competed in another Interclub

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Unreal Combat, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Competed in another Interclub yesterday, at Thai-Tanium in Leicester, taking two fights on the day to help out the hosts.

The first fight was light contact only as I was asked to fill a spot for a girl from Thanapron Muay Thai who was 80kg, looking to have a go for her first time, and needed matching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9A-vf-RIY"]Thai-Tanium Interclub Fight One[/ame]

The second fight was more full on against a Polish competitor from White Eagle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub7a1u491xs"]Thai-Tanium Interclub Fight Two[/ame]

Enjoy.

This will be my last Interclub level event now as I spend the next four weeks focusing on getting ready for my first decision fight in May in Ashby De La Zouch.

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Someone has to show the polish guy what Muy Thai is,ref should of kicked him out,well done on keeping composed bro though you did look like you wanted to let loose a few times lol ,I dont like interclubs personally:)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So you're never really supposed to knock someone out at an interclub?

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice, and thanks for posting :)

Fight 1 - nice and controlled, respectful, you looked comfortable getting to clinch type positions without becoming over 'enthusiastic' when she hit you back...

Fight 2 - he was keen! You weathered an early storm and each time he lined up a (sloppy) 'power' right you just kept your cool. Some lovely throws/dumps from catching kicks (especially the ones where you turn his leg over, early/mid round 1), and you're looking more comfortable in the clinch.

If I can offer a couple of constructive comments (no stopping me now):

1) HANDS UP! Especially when throwing out techniques - take 03:45 from fight 2, your guard is pretty good (fluid but structured), but as soon as you throw your jab/hooks, your right hand drops to your hips... Someone better than this guy will pick this up and take advantage of the gaps.

2) More knees to the thigh in clinch! Especially from 'side clinch', like you did at about 05:00 in fight 2... Oh... In that case, DO IT MORE!

That's about it, keep up the training, it's obviously helping you improve :D

5. Unreal Combat

You know how the newer Polish at amateur level are when it comes to contact sports, haha. Very aggressive and all out from the get go. He was gassing by round two. The ref knew I wasn't bothered about hard contact so he let it go to a degree. He did warn him a couple of times to chill though because he was lacking control. I wanted to let loose but with my fight coming up next month I needed to be wary of picking up an injury otherwise normally I would have gone for it a bit more.

I haven't seen it happen yet. Though I have stopped someone before (have the video here on Map actually) and I have seen another fight stopped before, at Interclub level. Normally if both camps are happy with the contact level then the ref will let it continue. As a competitive full contact club we generally don't complain about over contact unless someone is being completely outclassed and just isn't on the same level as the other fighter (experience wise).

Yeah, definitely need to keep my hands up more. I think it was down to the way the other guy was fighting. I am generally better in that respect against fighters who have better technique.

As for knees to the thigh in clinch, definitely! :D

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Nice job!

7. Unreal Combat

Thank you. :)

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Always enjoy these videos. Good job.

Baza

9. Unreal Combat

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Inter clubs are supposed to be non decision controlled contact sparring contest,though as unreal combat says sometimes if both partys are ok with harder contact then thats good to.Reason I dont like them is in the past they have had no scoring criteria on them so we are playing a different game to when we play Muay Thai at higher levels,I understand they give people experience etc and thats all good.I dont get the knees to the thigh bit guys its a low scoring technique unless it shows real effect,it should be used in conjunction with low kicking as a tactic to wear the legs out over a longer fight,as inters are usually 1 min or 1.5 mins rounds this tactic wouldnt be the best,whereas body knees especially straight knees score much higher when delivered correctly:)

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nice and thanks for sharing. The Poles are always a bit keen aren't they? :D

When/where's the fight in May?

Mitch

12. Unreal Combat

Yeah, ideally they should only be medium contact with controlled head shots. In the few I've experienced usually the refs allow power increases as long as it's a level playing field and the other fighter isn't getting battered to bits. Otherwise they generally stop it and tell the other fighter to tone the power down.

Personally I don't mind doing them. Is a bit of fun and good to pressure test stuff that I've learnt so far. Way I see it, I will go at the same level as the other guy (or girl). Give as good as I get.

That other guy was lacking in control with his punching though. He was throwing his right hand pretty wildly rushing forward. I think the UK Muay Thai scene that I have experienced so far, while for the most part having a good attitude, seems to be a little bit macho. Maybe it's because of the influx of MMA-Muay Thai clubs that get involved with the Interclubs, or because of western culture, I could only speculate (though I have heard others say similar).

Personally I find them a bit weird at times when they deviate the different round times. An N Class rules bout (which is what I will be competing under next month) is 5 x 1.30 minute rounds but I've seen some Interclubs be 3 x 2.00 minute rounds or 5 x 1.00 minute rounds before. When trying to get experience for a fight it actually makes it harder to gauge your fitness and pacing levels without having a national timing. It doesn't bother me though, I just go with whatever.

True, no dispute on the scoring from me, but they're a decent option if it's all you've got, or can think of, I suppose (and they do hurt like hell). Better than punching them in the leg (guilty, haha). I did consider turning him and throwing him down to the mat but I felt I needed to strike him somehow. I will (hopefully) learn better ways to deal with things as I get more experience under my belt and Thai techniques become second nature. Remember I am not that experienced in Muay Thai and still getting my feet wet. This is only my fourth Interclub and I've only been training for just six months in Muay Thai. I find it hard adapting from Kickboxing.

Yeah, just a bit. I find a few of the Europeans are like that. haha.

[​IMG]

If you're interested in coming along to watch, and want to get some tickets, shoot me a PM.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

They guy with the green gloves was soo annoying.. I wanted to jump through the screne and knock him out.

14. Unreal Combat

I wouldn't go that far, haha. :D

15. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Nice vid! I would never have guessed you're only 6 months into MT training. Very good composure in that 2nd one, seen a lot of those kinda guys - get gassed, no real technique, so they start trying to bang. You made him look pretty silly for it too, well done :p

16. Unreal Combat

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You're beginning to have a number of fights under you belt now and have seen different fighters. Do you feel, even though its only 6 months in, that a particular style is beginning to form? See them forming in other students at your level?

18. Unreal Combat

That's a good, and interesting, question to ask. I'm not even sure how to answer it, haha.

Regarding my own style I would say that it is definitely starting to take a more traditional Thai shape to it, and when I spar with experienced students/fighters Thai style I find it comes a lot more naturally than when against non Thai style students/fighters. However I think there's still a lot to do to make my style Muay Thai rather than a hybrid of Muay Thai and Kickboxing. You can see the Muay Thai progressing with each fight I take but it's still just not quite there. I think realistically it may take another 6 months to a year before it becomes more Thai instinctively due to the previous experience in, and commitment to, Kickboxing. I find myself having to unlearn ways I've been taught to punch and kick, or think in a ring, and perform them in ways that are completely alien to the way that has been hardcoded into my body due to the differing rule set.

I think some other students around my level have taken to it better because they don't have previous arts holding them back, but where I lack in the Thai techniques I make up for it with my previous Boxing, and Kicking, experience that allow me to stay a step ahead of them.

Can't really say how others may see it. What do you think?

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Which style of kickboxing? Dutch?

20. Unreal Combat

No just normal western full contact.