"Cobra Kai"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Make that +2 - We insist (half jokingly) that all students MUST have watched the original trilogy, prior to getting badged (6th Kyu) but I think that now we will need to extend that to include Cobra Kai

Travess

2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wait there were 3? I recall Karate Kid, and I recall a second one set in Japan I think, but I'm not familiar with a 3rd unless I'm just blanking on my memory of it.
    I'm gonna go research this now...

3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

The Karate Kid Part III - Wikipedia

It's a little more dark than the first two, but you get to see Mr. Miyagi utilize his ability and put a good beating to the main villain.

Travess likes this.
  4. Travess

There were actually 4, but we don't like to refer to the last one in polite conversation... ;)

Travess

Frodocious and Jaydub like this.
  5. Travess

and for further reference

Travess

6. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I somehow never watched this... I was only aware of the first two during my childhood.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't think it's *that* bad a movie.
    But I *do* think, that it's hurt the movie a bit, to carry the weight of the name.
    (The same as the Remake)

8. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Well, what are you waiting for?! :D

9. Travess

Same - I've got the boxset, and if I ever do have a marathon viewing session, I still include No. 4, as I do still enjoy it, but you'd have to be blind not to see that it represents a weak point in the saga.

Travess

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I won't disagree the slightest!

It's like the Resident Evil-movies: The movies aren't bad.
    But they did them a disfavor, to connect them to Resident Evil.
    Another name and they would have worked better (I still enjoy the ones I know).

And it's the same with this movie: It's a decent enough movie, but not a Karate Kid.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Quicksilver method (I think that's what they turned poor Danny to the dark side with)!

Basically an unironic ameridote.

12. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'm watching the first Karate Kid right now.

I'll start the Cobra Kai series later!

Travess likes this.
  13. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

It turns out that this was incorrect. The first two full episodes are available on open-source Youtube. The remaining episodes are just previews, and require a Youtube Red subscription to watch.

The first taste is free, then you're addicted. I would be happy to purchase a Youtube Red subscription just be to able to watch the rest of the season, but it's unavailable in Canada.

I loved what I did see, though. I especially love the opening sequence in the second episode with Dean Martin's "Aint that a Kick in the Head".

14. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Does it not give you the option to buy the individual episodes, it does over here in Blighty!

15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

No that I've noticed. I'll have to look into that.

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Obviously I don't know if that works for Canadians, but here you can buy the episodes in the Google Play Store.
    Might be worth a shot?

17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Google play/movies/music is all changing at the end of this month, so there may be changes to make YouTube red more accessible (I hope)

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm on the last episode now. I'm just about crying watching it. Yes I realise I'm posting at 4 in the morning :'(

Mushroom likes this.
  19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The biggest disappointment is the moment, the season ends.
    Just because it ends.
    And now it's waiting for sesaon 2.

I could have kept watching no problem for a while longer.
    Or longer episodes.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It was awesome. I love how it plays heavily on the internet Karate Kid myth on who the real bully was.
    The character development was great all round, and also (dont know who else saw it) … thumbs were out on the first day of training :)

axelb likes this.