"Cobra Kai"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I binge-watched it all in 2 days - absolutely loved it!

axelb likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Finished it. Loved it. I was not expecting such well developed characters and such a complex message from a show like this.

In terms of the action, I loved Zabka (Johnny Lawrence) every time he fought, and Miguel did a great job too. But Macchio continually disappointed. The high, tense shoulders and complete dislocation between his limbs and trunk made me cringe every time he did anything.

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I haven't seen all season 1 yet, and I just read that season 2 has been approved for next year!

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm excited for Season 2. My spoiler-free comment is that they do a very good job of making Season 1 tell a discrete story start-to-finish, while still leaving an obvious path forward for Season 2. It's not one of those shows where you say "where can they go from here?" and they have to come up with something contrived or random to keep the story going for another season.

axelb likes this.
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So, yesterday I was a a friends house (well, I think we're sort of friends, as mentioned before) and the first thing he said, was: It's the best that was filmed during the last 40 years.
    He couldn't wait until yesterday and already watched it. I was only surprised, that he wouldn't talk the entire dialogue ;)

I really, enjoyed the show!
    It was so much fun and managed to address modern day problems kids face at school in a way, where not just everyone gets pitied and that's that.

To see Johnny Lawrence in "this role" (as in the series versus the movies) was just awesome and I think he did a great job.

What lesson does this show give?
    Never get kids ;)
    Too much trouble for everyone ;)

Mitlov and axelb like this.
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Binged #3-10 last night. Absolutely loved it right down to the closing 60 seconds or so of the last episode. (What's up with that ending?!)

I particularly liked when Danny and Johnny spent the better part of a day together talking. I'd like to see more of that in season 2.

axelb likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Seriously, who could have guessed that Johnny Lawrence could be that nuanced and complex of a character? Especially without it feeling overdone or forced. That's part of what blew me away. The character development was better than in many serious dramas.

8. aikiMac

That sounds like an exaggeration but, wow, it's not an exaggeration. I totally agree. I was not expecting that at all from a YouTube show!
    I don't know what the YouTube equivalent of an Emmy/Oscar is, but that actor (Zabka) deserves to be nominated.

And it's not just Johnny's character, but the development arc of Miguel, too! He doesn't quite have the depth of Johnny, but compare him in episodes 1 and 2 against episodes 9 and 10! That character changed! :eek:

I have only 3 complaints:
    The training of Robbie. How'd he get to be so good in such a short time? That should have been developed a little more.

And, what happened to his gang friends? They know where he lives, so you'd think they would harass him at his apartment, or on the way to/from work, or somewhere. I can't believe they simply walked away.

And Kreese coming back in the closing minute of the last episode? No, no, and no. It just didn't feel right for the show.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Mitlov likes this.
  9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

His version of what has happened at school alone, was nicely done.
    I was considering for a brief moment, if he was trying to manipulate Miguel, but I think it was really how he experienced is.
    Great!

10. aikiMac

So, to you knowledgable karate guys -- is there enough real karate in Cobra Kai to say it's any particular karate style? I've read in several places that Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel Goju-ryu (and what do I know? I have to trust them), but I haven't read anything that sounds official that says Cobra Kai is based on any particular form of karate. o_O

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yes, Miyagi's karate was modeled (both in body mechanics and training philosophy) on Okinawan karate. I didn't know exactly which flavor, but I could easily see Goju-Ryu.

According to the cast-members, the actors playing Cobra Kai trained in preparation for their roles in "Korean karate," which typically refers to Tang Soo Do or ITF Taekwondo. And I can totally see it, especially in Johnny Lawrence's fight outside of the convenience store against in episode 1. As someone who currently trains in an American offshoot of Tang Soo Do (Chuck Norris' Chun Kuk Do), I could very easily see Cobra Kai as an American offshoot of Tang Soo Do. I'm not saying I dress up as a skeleton on Halloween and bully people, but in terms of the fighting style itself, I could see it.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I did a quick google search a few days ago, and even though Wikipediea isn't the best source for everything, according to the page about William Zabka, he trained Tang Soo Do after the show and has a BB there.

So I guess, that would make sense then, right?

Mitlov likes this.
  13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Still plodding thru the series at a steady (snails!) pace, so I am still way behind most of you, but having just watched episode 5, I couldn't help but post an update...

...wow, just W O W!!!

The Iconic Music, Gi patch, Headband and Miyagi family Kata (from KK3) not to mention the tribute to Pat Morita, which absolutely blew me away, even becoming a little emotionally overwhelming if I am honest!

I am in total aww of just how right the creators have managed to get it!!!

Travess

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

By the way: Was I the only thinking, that the name of service car, or more precisely the business, that towed away Johnny car, wasn't coincidence?

15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I just discovered today that I can actually watch this. All ten episodes are on open-source Youtube.

I assumed that I needed a Youtube Red account, which is apparently unavailable in Canada.

I'm not sure if I'm going to start tonight or this weekend. I'll probably watch the original Karate Kid movies before starting Cobra Kai.

Travess likes this.
  16. aikiMac

Ahhh! :eek: :confused:
    Actually, that's great!
    I wonder if that holds true in the USA, also. I signed up for the free 30-day trial of Red so that I could watch it, so, ya, I got it free, too, that way, but -- better if it's on the open YouTube!

17. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I should watch this... the other day at Muay Thai during the jump-rope warmup the Kru was near me and started talking to me & another student about Cobra Kai. He also put on the "You're the best" soundtrack for the warm-up. He really liked the show.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You really should indeed.

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It should be mandatory watching for all martial artists before they're allowed to attend any more training sessions!

Travess and Latikos like this.
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So much +1 :cool:

Travess likes this.