"Cobra Kai"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I've watched this a few more times, and I think the plot is deeper than I initially thought.

I get the impression that maybe they are friends, and Daniel is concerned for Johnny. Maybe Johnny's decision to resurrect Cobra-Kai sets him on a dark path and strains their friendship.

Daniel seems to have at least one student. Maybe there are issues between their students, and they both can't help but get pulled into it.

Either way, I don't think think it's as simple as a conflict between old rivals.

Travess likes this.
  2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I saw the trailer over on Facey when it popped up, and I am ridiculously hyped for this. I'm more excited for this than I am over Star Wars and Marvel movies, and I'm a massive Star Wars and comic book fan. I can't wait.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Stumbled across this alternative review of the original movie. Dude should be a defense lawyer, LOL! It's brilliant! And, ahem, come, we all know that we're all going to rewatch this movie before we binge in the tv show.
    (putting it in spoilers only because the last sentence, right before "Thanks for watching," is NSFW.)

axelb likes this.
  4. Chimpcheng

Is there still no official release date yet? I am chomping at the bit over this. :eek:

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Depends where you are? If you're in the US, it should only be a matter of months, but if you reside in the UK (where youtube red is not available) then you may not get to see it (via official channels at least) until sometime in 2019.. :mad::mad::mad:

Travess

6. Chimpcheng

DAMMIT!!!

Until the announcement of 'Cobra Kai' I had never heard of 'YouTube Red, so I was gutted when I found out that it was US only. I was kinda hoping someone at Netflix or somewhere will have brokered some sort of screening deal for the rest of the world...

Travess likes this.
  7. Travess

(Apparently) Youtube Red outbid Netflix, Hulu and Amazon for the rights to Cobra Kai, so unless Sky/Virgin/domestic UK TV can nagotiate a good deal, it could be a long while indeed...

Travess

8. Travess

Release date: May 2nd...

Travess

Mitch and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Ok, that does look entertaining :D
    I will be watch that!

Travess likes this.
  10. aikiMac

Ohhh, wow, that trailer is so much better than the prior trailers! I love the reversal -- Johnny becoming Mr. Miyagi! :D

Mitlov, Travess and axelb like this.
  11. Chimpcheng

SKELETON COSTUME!!!

Mitlov, axelb and Van Zandt like this.
  12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

First episode.

The second is on youtube as well, afterwards you only get preview, so I guess it's some way of teasing to get people to buy it.
    They are also listed in the GooglePlayStore, but I seem to be too dumb right now to see how it works. Will try some time later again.

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Schweeeeet.

Cobra Kai - YouTube

When I go to it in my YouTube app I have the option to pay for it.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't get option.
    I see a sign for it, but couldn't click it.

Here at least the show is on the PlayStore, as mentioned, but only several episodes.
    Some woman apparently bought episode 10, but can't watch it (there's a forum post about it).
    I hope they work on it, so it functions properly.

Because, Holy Moly, it looks good so far - and as if the real good stuff will be coming with the next episodes :D

axelb likes this.
  16. Travess

We (my wife humoured me) watched the 1st two free episodes this evening, and what can I say? We (I) absolutely LOVED it, not just the character development, which was both progressive, whilst still being stuck in the past, but also the nostalgic integrity of it.

Interesting to see that Will Smith is one of the shows producers, given that his son was in a the reboot which took the story in a whole new direction.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Oh, nice, I didn't realize that.
    Guess, I was too busy rethinking what I saw or something :D

Now, couple or so hours later, I still think I really liked and enjoyed the show.
    It could actually have quite some potential if used correctly.

I do wish though, that the episodes were longer, not just around 27 minutes.

Ps.: I have to admit it: I also really liked the reboot.
    I think both Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith did a good job.
    EDIT: Maybe it would have been smarter though, to not call it "Karate Kid"; I think lot of the bad mouthing about the movie comes due to that.

Travess likes this.
  18. aikiMac

Oh, hell, yeah!!!! ::hearts:: ::hearts:: ::hearts:: ::hearts::
    I sparred 6 rounds (boxing) tonight against someone 20 years younger than me, full speed but only half power or so, and came home and purposefully put on episode 1 -- and I loved it!!!! I'm in for episode 2 in a few minutes!

axelb and Travess like this.
  19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Booyah!
    On Thursday I will meet with one... not sure, what to call him (he's a teacher, I went to him a few times, but I don't train regularly with him,...), so let's just call him "a friend" - and we'll watch all ten episodes together :cool:
    Can't wait for it to be next week :D

I gave him the link to the two episodes yesterday, he went an bought the season and invited me over to watch it with him and his wife.
    Awesome.

And now, that I write that, I realize that I have no idea how to behave on social meetings in a flat of a person.
    Suddenly it becomes a bit stressful already.
    Crap :confused:

axelb likes this.
  20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm a few episodes in, and it exceeds all expectations. Great characters and self-aware humor.