Cobra Kai Season 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kemposhot, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Anyone else watch this yet? I powered through it last night, it’s very nostalgic but I really enjoy the mix of the 80’s generation and the current generation.

We got a lot about John Kreese’s back story and it sets up season 4, which should be interesting. Without spoiling it for anyone, curious on your thoughts.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I plan to watch at some point. Not surprising that the set up season 4 :D

Kemposhot likes this.
  3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I binged watched Season 2 on New Years Eve, and Season 3 on New Years Day.

I was initially hesitant to watch Cobra Kai because I'm not a fan of nostalgia-driven reboots, but it's so much better than I expected.

It was great to get John Kreese's back story. It makes him more relatable, and harder to dismiss as just an evil guy.

Travess and Kemposhot like this.
  4. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I agree 100%. The show mixes nostalgia well and seeing Kreese’s backstory was really cool. It adds a lot of depth to characters that hadn’t been updated since the late 80’s.

The only thing I’m wondering is with Netflix having purchased up to 6 seasons, and it would appear season 4 will tie into the 3rd movie, as season 3 tied into the second is where will they go in the future? I’m glad they didn’t make season 2 and 3 tournament based as it allowed for some extra character development. All I know is, I’m a huge fan. Can’t wait to see where they bring the series next.

Travess and Jaydub like this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm enjoying it so much
    OKINAWA!!

Kemposhot and Grond like this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Oh the waterworks. My favorite part is when Daniel returns to Miyagi San's old fishing town to find it's been turned into a a Red Lobster and GAP retail hub, but the people there are happier than ever. A pre-COVID fantasy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Mushroom likes this.
  7. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I wish that training in martial arts as a teen was as cool and dramatic as Cobra Kai makes it out to be.

Mushroom and axelb like this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm not even a violent person but I find myself wanting to beat Hawk into a pulp, and then I'm ashamed to remind myself he's just a really good actor, like a good wrestling heel.

I foresee a big showdown between him and some lucky Miyago do student.

9. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

The episode in Se:3 in Okinawa was a favorite of mine.

Kemposhot likes this.
  10. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Yeah I loved the Karate Kid 2 tie in. It was done in a perfect way and didn’t dominate the entire season.

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Wow. Finished Season 3 last night and I have to say I did not see THAT coming. No spoilers, but...

[​IMG]

axelb and Kemposhot like this.
  12. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

The worst part is having to wait a whole other year for Season 4.

I rewatched the original Karate Kid Trilogy, and even watched The Next Karate Kid (the Hillary Swank version) just to get a bit of a fix. I’m certainly not proud of it, but times are desperate. :D

I don’t know what I’m going to do until 2022...

Mushroom and Kemposhot like this.
  13. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I did the same thing! The only good thing is that it’s been so successful it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere.

I’m really curious to see if they tie karate kid 3 and how they do it.

Jaydub likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

There's no shame in loving the relatively corniness of karate. It doesn't matter which movie and there are far worse than any of the Karate Kid films including the reboot.

That's part of its charm, it seems so stupid and simple, like wax on and off, but have you ever shaken hands with a professional car washer? They have fists of iron. It's all about the workout you get at the end of the day, and I can't count the number of times this movie franchise got me off my butt on a tired day.

Kemposhot and Jaydub like this.
  15. Mushroom

We getting Next Karate Kid doing a cameo or what? :p

16. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Seems like a lot of people on line are pushing for it. A lot of the rumor sites say they can tie it in to her being Miyagi’s other student and she could help teach. Miyagi-do and eagle fang.

17. Mushroom

Just back up the Netflix money truck at the front door to convince a 2 ep cameo

Kemposhot likes this.
  18. David Silver

David Silver Member

EAGLE FANG DOJO 4 lyfe!

axelb and Kemposhot like this.
  19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I finished this, yes it was good!

20. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

I thought it was very entertaining, but a bit cheesy for not being made in the 80s. My main gripe is that it seems targeted towards younger teens (or at least too PG). I could be wrong, but I assume most big fans of the original Karate Kid films are going to be a bit older.

I really like how they made Johnny a main protagonist and don't keep the characters too black and white.

Kemposhot likes this.