CMA in New Haven?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by onyomi, Aug 25, 2006.

1. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Hi, I recently moved from Taiwan back to America and now find myself back in school in New Haven, CN. As some of you might know, I've studied Longfist, Praying Mantis and a little Chen Taiji over the past few years in Taiwan.

Of course, I plan to keep practicing everything I can on my own, but obviously there's no substitute for a live teacher and classmates until I can get back to Taiwan. So anyway, does anyone know of any authentic CMA teachers in the New Haven area or environs? I was considering making the commute to NYC to train Shuai-jiao, but I would probably only be able to make that once a week at most. I could also more easily commute to somewhere a little closer, like Hartford.

It would be nice if I could find a great teacher of one of the styles I've already studied (Longfist, Mantis and Chen), but I'll take any good CMA I can find (I'll even take non-CMA if you happen to know of an absolutely amazing Judo/Jiu-jitsu/Kickboxing/Aikido, etc. teacher in New Haven). Though I'm partial to CMA, I'd rather have a great Aikido teacher than a mediocre Mantis teacher.

So anyway, I'd be open to any and all suggestions for schools, teachers, classes, study groups, etc. in New Haven or thereabouts. Thanks in advance. :)

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Check http://www.shhdragon.com

This is the website for Silent Dragon. The head instructor is Sifu Stephen Watson who teaches Tai Chi (I believe it's Chen but could be mistaken) and a system called "Black Dragon" Kung Fu (not sure exactly what that is) and Aikido. I'd highly recommend him. He's a great guy and a very good martial artist (I can't judge his Tai Chi because I'm not a Tai Chi guy - though I do get some Tai Chi training from him when I have the opportunity - but overall, he's a very good martial artist).

Mike

3. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

WewT! You're back in the States eh? F' Yah! I should be heading up north in the next few months.. I'll shoot you a PM if you want to get together and train while I'm there! Good to have you back in the big 50 Ony! :)

4. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I'll look forward to it, Jester. It seems that Ilya Profitalov, a pretty well-known Mantis master has a class not 15 minutes from me! I'm definitely going to go check that out this weekend and hopefully get to keep doing Mantis. Now I just need a good BJJ class and I'll really be in business.... but wait, maybe I should be studying. ;)

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to the New Haven area onyomi :)

I would most definitely look into training with Ilya Profatilov ...

I have read through some of his articles in JAMA as well as surfed thru his site
    http://www.prayingmantisboxing.com

6. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

I see others have beat me to the punch (yet again). Zhelaoo udachee ("Good luck" in Russian) with the mantis, ony.

I guess you'll be around for the next Mantis Conference (whenever that is)? :D

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Whoah.... do you go to Yale, Onyomster? One of my very good friends goes to school out thataway. If you ever run into Santana, tell her I say hey :p.

8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Yeah, I'm trying to get a PhD in Chinese Lit. now. I'm hoping to somehow turn my love of CMA into something academic, probably beginning by studying CMA fictions, but hopefully moving in the direction of anthropology, philosophy, history, religion or wherever else the wind takes me :rolleyes: Just don't tell my advisor that I'm more interested in actual CMA than fictions about it :cry: ...though maybe that will change as I'm exposed to more of it.

Santana, huh... that's a cool name. What's her department?

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Santana's an undergrad in the music department.... she plays the harpsichord. If you ever go to any harpsichord recitals, chances are you'll run into her.

I didn't know you were doing Chinese Literature.... that's the same thing I'm (hoping) to go into at U of M. Ever since I read the Shui Hu Zhuan (english version, of course) when I was in Beijing, I've had a thing for it. Especially wuxia/jianghu fiction.
    Are there any books you can recomend? So far I've made my way through the four main classics (Outlaws of the Marsh, Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, Story of the Stone) and that's about it. I'm looking to get into some more classic literature, I'm just not sure where to go/what's out there.

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

You probably already know more about the subject than me! I'll have to ask my advisor for some recommendations. He specializes in 19th-century Chinese martial arts fictions. I personally really like Liaozhai zhi Yi, but that's more a collection of ghost stories.