Clubbing: As in music.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Andy Murray, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I was hoping members of an age to go 'clubbing' might help me out with a little research project for my work.

How important is the quality/power of the sound system in clubs you frequent?

Do you even consider it?

Can you rate it's importance alongside other aspects of a successful club, like music policy, lighting, atmosphere, door policy, location etc?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

As far as clubbing ... don't do much of that anymore. On ocassion will go to a club for atmosphere really. Heck all clubs serve drinks and after several nothing much matters.

As far as concerts (halls/venues) ... if I am paying good money to see a band perform and the sound system sucks, then I may never go back to see another concert there.

I for one am totally addicted to bass!!! :D

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Interesting.

You know the bass end of a sound system is the most expensive.

It requires the biggest speakers, with the biggest cabinets and the largest amplifiers to provide the juice.

So if a club has good bass, they've invested in it.

"Many wicked bass" :D

Re sound at concerts. larger gigs usually are bringing in a system from a rental or touring company, so it's not necessarily the venues fault. Chances are if a gig sounds bad, it's either the venue accousically, the cloth eared moron pushing the buttons, or a combination of the two.

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Or the cloth eared moron spinning the tunes! :D

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

My "clubbing" consists of reggae, drum'n'bass, hardcore, and jungle mostly. The two most important things are the sound quality - loud and clear - and the atmosphere - almost entirely dependent upon the people there. Basically I wanna be able to dance, rave, lose myself in the music, and have fun.

Jack

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

don't go to clubs much because they all tend to play crap music from my experience anyway but bass is important to the kinda things i listen too if a club sounds crap i wont be there

7. stvn

stvn Valued Member

Haven't been to a club in a while, but even in pubs I tend to want the sound system to be of the highest possible quality, especially if it's music I'm into. Theres nothing worse than listening to a tune you like spoiled by terrible sounding equipment. I would tend to drink up & move on to somewhere else.

Sound quality would come a close second to music policy, followed by lighting. IMO these 3 go a long way to dictating the atmosphere of a place along with the type of crowd. The door policy & location are incidental to me if everything else comes up to scratch.

I studied music technology at college so this may have slightly biased my answer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003