Clip Representative of Kempo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flashlock, May 15, 2007.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Who is this Kempo instructor? Is he well known (audio says he was writing for a MA magazine)? Is it fair to call him a kempo instructor, or is he just a fringe guy?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=naWEbPDz80w

2. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

That looks like Scot Conway, he was previously a student of Kara-Ho Kempo (before the video) and he now has a dojo called Christian Karate or something like that here in San Diego.

I would say he is more "fringe" than anything else.

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

That does however look like what happens when BJJ blue or above engages with a Kempo practitioner who does not cross-train.

4. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Obviously not a good day for him, but you have to give someone props for testing what they're theorizing about. I wonder if he's added a ground game to his program...

5. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

My fav Gracie clip is vs. the Hapkido guy who does the splits before they fight. At least Mr. Deadly Kempo didn't do anything but stand there. You would have thought he was gonna do a street fight or something.

Fact of the matter is that the clip shuts off early because the Gracies don't want you seeing the 3 other Kempo guys from the audience who ran out onto the mat to kick the Gracie fighter while he was on the ground. The BJJ has no answer for anything. Not the street. The Deadly STREET!

DEADLY!

6. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Yeah, I'm sure a lone Hapkido guy vs 3 BJJ guys would have much better answers! (BTW, can you post this clip?)

7. KempoFist

Your google-fu is weak. BJJ vs Hapkido, first result [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ciYtazMQE4"]YouTube[/ame]

8. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Ha! I made you do my dirty work for me... mwahh ha haaa ha HA!!!

Yeah, I forgot about that clip. They jumped the Gracie guy? Little fleas...

9. Nuck Chorris

He ended up in the hospital. Ya. Poor guy.

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

12 or so years ago when this was filmed, that's what EVERYONE looked like, no matter what style you were doing LOL

Nowadays many people know some basic ground defenses and many people know how to avoid being taken down so easily.

11. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

most systems have now learned some ground work even Sifu Francis fong has adapted wing chun to have some ground work but again we are looking at what bruce did 30+ years ago and mostly got slagged for it :cool:

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Gee Kempofist, if you'd of gone to the seminar you could have tried that, and lost by the way.

You are higher than blue belt? ;) Right?
    :)

13. KempoFist

Nope. Trying, but not just there yet. Got a whole bunch of pretty pieces of electrical tape slapped on my white belt. And Gary, as I said before, I'm not going to show up uninvited to a private seminar, to Gong Sau people I've never even heard of. I may be an *******, but I'm not a thug.

14. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Do you think "learning some groundwork" would help on the ground against someone who specializing in it and trains it (BJJ)? I guess it would help, of course, but unless you're spending a good amount of training time there, the result will probably be the same, unfortunately.

15. Nuck Chorris

So ya. No point in learning that crap!

16. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Well, have you seen what passes for grappling in many schools? Even very good ones. They realize they MUST incorporate ground skills--but because the teachers are usually unqualified to teach it... you get junk that a BJJ low belt could crush--I've seen it, and done it!

It's important because people think sincerely they are "covering" and "learning" skills that will work on the ground--when it's mostly inadequate.

If you're not cross-training directly w/ a BJJ purple belt or above, your teacher needs some kind of strong grappling background, not just "touching" on the ground or a few weekend seminars. It's a LOT of work and time to address groundwork.

17. Nuck Chorris

So you speak from experience? What is your belt level in BJJ? Aren't you worried about getting jumped by more than one person?

18. KempoFist

I'm on the fence with this one. There is a fine fine line between crappling and learning basic ground defense. When I taught Kempo, I would address the ground not with the intent of defeating people skilled there, but getting down the bare basics to get back to ones feet against at best an unskilled opponent. Examples of this would be how to control distance with a closed guard, how to escape the mounted position, how to sprawl etc... Nothing fancy, just things everyone should know.

In hindsight I'd like to smack myself, because in short your criticism of such training falling short rings very true. But at the same time....why not? I believe it's up to the individual on what he or she wants to focus on in class, and if they know some basic escapes and how to drill them, then why not let them not be completely ignorant of that range of fighting? In my Jits school, we deal with a lot of defenses against strikes, and often touch on where we have solid position to strike ourselves, but I don't think anyone there would consider themselves training in a striking art (with the exception of those who cross-train for MMA). But again, it's good to not be completely ignorant of a different range of fighting.

My personal opinion on it today (and this opinion has changed through the years) is that instructors should be happy with what their art specializes in, and not try to be everything. BJJ and Sambo is good for ground, Judo and Wrestling is good for clinchwork and posture, Muay Thai and Boxing are good for standup striking. None of them should try to be something they aren't, and they should embrace what they are good at, and encourage cross-training to fill in the rest of the game. But that's just my opinion.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The whole 'MUST' of Flashlock's argument is silly. No one has to to do anything. It's nothing more than more BJJ diatribe. No one MUST do anything.

20. KempoFist

You just love following him around trying to make him explode don't you?

Now I get my chance to argue with you AND engage in self glorification....

Ahem *clears throat* If you want to win a fight with ME, you MUST learn ground-fighting. *takes a bow* :p