Classical Student VS. Modern Student

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ajacxxion, Apr 4, 2003.

1. ajacxxion

ajacxxion Valued Member

I am new here...

I have recently began examining the concept of Jeet Kune Do.
    I find the idea of Jeet Kune Do to be quite inspiring, it is simply genious! I find it to be somewhat similar to Musashi's doctrine of Martial Strategy.
    But, to get to my subject...

Classical Students VS. Modern Students
    What do you think the purpose of Martial Arts is?
    This includes purposes close to the origin and the purposes Martial Arts has evolved into.
    I find that most modern students appear to emphasize self-defense, exercize, weight loss, and practical or pragmatic purposes; whereas classical students focus on the finer points, particularily self-cultivation or self-improvement.
    Why did you begin practicing and why do you practice now?
    (It seems from some of his essays that Bruce Lee was a classical student, but also related with the modern)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  2. ajacxxion

ajacxxion Valued Member

I just had another thought too:

When you consider the inferiority or superiority of other forms of martial arts, do you think that the same things that make masters of other martial arts are perhaps the same things that make one a master of Jeet Kune Do?

AND

Do you have any differentiation between a high achiever in the Martial Arts and a Master; is a Master always a teacher or a winner of a tournement/ what defines the concept of mastery for you?

Consider achievement to one's highest potential.

Confucius said: "When one keeps old knowledge and adds new knowledge one is fit to be a worthy teacher."
    OR
    "When one uses the old to teach anew..."
    (TOO MANY DIFFERING TRANSLATIONS)

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

it depends wat u study ?? is it Style or a System??...
    doesn't matter wat kind of student u r, be it modern or be it classical... both r stuck in same paradox... untill they see the light...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Classical Students VS. Modern Students

It sounds an easy comparison, but in truth its a sliding scale between extremes. And not as straight forward as you think. The karate school could be more modern than the supposed modern school. Names are only names, what counts are the instructors and their philosophies and likewise what the student wants to gain.

JKD philosophies are little different from philosophies centuries old that helped develop the thousands of “classical” styles around now. And after all Kung Fu means work in progress (or similar depending on the translation).

5. ajacxxion

ajacxxion Valued Member

Interesting...

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

mind telling us wat's intresting u found...
    dont mind commenting on our thoughts mate... :)
    -TkdWarrior-

7. ajacxxion

ajacxxion Valued Member

"both r stuck in same paradox... untill they see the light..."

What do you mean by this??

Do you think there are any parallels between teachers and students of the martial arts and teachers and students of academics, and do you include anything "academic" in your studies of the martial arts?

pgm316 has a great point

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well i meant that both kind of students r living in their own world of reality untill they understand that they need to grow out of it...
    it's like u cannot ignore wat classical arts gives and can't live without Modern arts... it's about understanding(as u urself said about Bruce Lee being classical n modern at same time)
    -TkdWarrior-